Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi Chris

Have you searched the forums for this ? It has been covered, and I recall a few sticky's that should give you the information that you want.

:blink:

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered some Giro socks from CRC about 4 weeks ago and received it this morning. I just astonished about the duties and stuff. I paid R294 for the 4 pairs of socks and then customs slams me with another R194 for VAT and duties. Can this be possible?

Ordered some Giro socks from CRC about 4 weeks ago and received it this morning. I just astonished about the duties and stuff. I paid R294 for the 4 pairs of socks and then customs slams me with another R194 for VAT and duties. Can this be possible?

Yes it is clothes so import duty is high, same happend to me when I bought Livestrong cycling clothes....you know you could have bought 4 pairs of Giro/Cannondale/Mongoose/GT/FOX socks at you LBS and paid R160 for them

Yes it is clothes so import duty is high, same happend to me when I bought Livestrong cycling clothes....you know you could have bought 4 pairs of Giro/Cannondale/Mongoose/GT/FOX socks at you LBS and paid R160 for them

Could not get giro socks and they were selling them at about 30% discount on CRC. Selling price was something like R70/pair but after the extras it works out to about R120/pair. Still cheaper than high end socks on our rock

I bought clothes from overseas once, never again.

The tax on textiles is ridiculous, protecting local jobs blah blah bla.

Just curious. Seems like 29er tyres are getting more and more expensive these days and I have never imported my own because I thought one needed an Import Permit , like for Car tyres. Turns out you don't and they are Duty Free, so I am thinking of going out there are ordering a bunch. Perhaps for re-sale as well.

Perhaps for re-sale as well.

You might need a permit for that. SARS limits you to importing around R20k worth of stuff per year, for personal use.

Recieved my first CRC order yesterday through parcel force (R300 extra) in 4 working days. The weight 15.5kgs, with the only hassle that CRC split the order into 3 parcels.

Bought a 2 seat childrens bicycle trailer with stroller kit for R2427 and paid only R373.63 VAT and R30 clearance fee and some spares for R567 and paid only R87.30 VAT and again R30 clearance fee due to the multiple parcels. Zero duties.

Highly impressed by the CRC deals and service.

You might need a permit for that. SARS limits you to importing around R20k worth of stuff per year, for personal use.

Would do it through my business. Am registered as an Importer.

What are the duties on frames? I am looking to get a frame from Competitve cyclist.