Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

What are the duties on frames? I am looking to get a frame from Competitve cyclist.

No duty, unless you bring in enough other parts at the same time for them to consider it a complete bike. Competitive Cyclists are very good - I got my frame from them.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No duty, unless you bring in enough other parts at the same time for them to consider it a complete bike. Competitive Cyclists are very good - I got my frame from them.

Sweet, so it is the selling price + 14% vat and a handling fee?

Sweet, so it is the selling price + 14% vat and a handling fee?

It will work out to 15.4% of the invoice amount (selling price + shipping), due to the way SARS calculates the value for VAT. The handling fee will be around R250 since CC send via UPS/DHL.

Edited by Edam

Just curious. Seems like 29er tyres are getting more and more expensive these days and I have never imported my own because I thought one needed an Import Permit , like for Car tyres. Turns out you don't and they are Duty Free, so I am thinking of going out there are ordering a bunch. Perhaps for re-sale as well.

I ordered from bike24 and paid normal i think 15.4% on tyres

• 1 month later...

How does it work if I buy something on e-bay? If I pay R100 for a cycling shirt on e-bay, do I calculate the tax on R100 or on what SARS estimate a similar item in SA would cost, eg. R400?

SARS use the invoice price, excluding shipment cost. SA item cost is not considered at all. I would stay away from e-bay though, really no reason to buy from there... If you want to import cycling good use Chainreactioncycles, Jensonusa, competitivecyclist.com even AMAZON stocks parts..

How does it work if I buy something on e-bay? If I pay R100 for a cycling shirt on e-bay, do I calculate the tax on R100 or on what SARS estimate a similar item in SA would cost, eg. R400?

What TheV said is correct. The only potential spanner in the works is if SARS thinks the value of the item has been under-declared e.g. you paid R500, but the shipper 'generously' decides to declare it as being valued at R5 and SARS thinks this value is suspect. CRC etc. will not under-declare items, but eBay sellers are usually a bit less scrupulous in this regard.

I've just spoken to the peeps at the International Mail Centre, and my VAT on my CRC order works out to 13.6%... plus there's a helmet in there which they must have missed...

hells yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can anyone help please. When buying components say from CRC do you pay duties on the RRP or on the actual price paid. ( Retail less discount)?

Thanks.

Hi

You would pay VAT and import duties on the invoice value ex transport.

So not on RRP.

If it would get checked by SARS which it seldom gets a little bit more complicated

Wind

There are no import duties on bike parts, only Customs VAT which is calculated on 110% of the cost (ie cost plus 10% x 14%)

Can anybody confirm what the duties, of any, are on accessories for celstial telescopes?

You are going to pay 14% vat + 10% ATV IN SCH1 P1,

Edited by Lexx