Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Garmin SA service is very good, however Garmin service elsewhere is pretty horrible. As you can imagine, Garmin SA is not too keen giving service free to people who went around them, but they have always had very high prices compared to outside SA - somewhat better now that Avnic was taken over by the parent company.

TBH, I don't think it's worth importing it yourself for the difference. SARS will lose it, or charge you too much and it could take a month or more to get it.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH, I don't think it's worth importing it yourself for the difference. SARS will lose it, or charge you too much and it could take a month or more to get it.

no offence, but given my years of doing exactly the thing you a fearmongering against, what you say is utter nonsense. Yes, sometimes things go awry, but its far, far from the norm.

Edited by Capricorn

Personal choice. I order from CRC, Ribble, etc. all the time plus the usual Chinese eBay sellers, but it has become increasingly frustrating with SARs and the PO. Couriers better, but they take their pond of flesh, too. I ordered a small remote control form Amazon UK (R200) and it took two months to arrive - YMMV

• 1 month later...

HI All 

I ve been wanting to get the garmin 520 from evan cycles in the uk  but not to sure on import costs and safe of the bundle getting to my door step in one piece. Could anyone give me any feed back on their good / bad experiences they have had with purchasing garmin online from overseas. Thanks 

HI All 

I ve been wanting to get the garmin 520 from evan cycles in the uk  but not to sure on import costs and safe of the bundle getting to my door step in one piece. Could anyone give me any feed back on their good / bad experiences they have had with purchasing garmin online from overseas. Thanks 

The problem with buying Garmin from overseas is that you won't get the really awesome local Garmin support if you had bought it in SA. I bought one from the US, smashed the screen, my fault, went to the local Garmin to find out if I could replace the screen, they said no, we'll replace the unit for free - I said but it was my fault, they said, no problem, off they went and came back with a sad face and said sorry, you didn't buy this in South Africa did you? They still let me buy a new one at cost. Garmin SA's support is really great, it's not really worth the saving you get buying online, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

I am considering buying a bike in the UK and my mother will bring it back mid September (She'll visit my brother soon).  I am considering to leave the wheels in the UK (I will anyway upgrade the wheels) and my brother will then sell them for me (he's in Cambridge).

1.  As long as I can convince the shop to invoice me with a parts list, I should be able to skip the 15%? (because it is not a "bike" any longer). I.e. only pay VAT and the handling fee (if applicable?).  Correct?

2.  Does anyone have experience with claiming UK VAT back (20%) for stuff bought in-country?  

Tax-free-shopping-in-the-uk/vat-notice-7041

3.  What will the process be at OR Tambo?  She will report to the RED zone - what can she expect there?  By when / how must the VAT & feees be paid?  Would it be possible to refer the discussion to the Customs offices "outside" arrival so that I can assist her?

Hi There,

I am considering buying a bike in the UK and my mother will bring it back mid September (She'll visit my brother soon).  I am considering to leave the wheels in the UK (I will anyway upgrade the wheels) and my brother will then sell them for me (he's in Cambridge).

1.  As long as I can convince the shop to invoice me with a parts list, I should be able to skip the 15%? (because it is not a "bike" any longer). I.e. only pay VAT and the handling fee (if applicable?).  Correct?

2.  Does anyone have experience with claiming UK VAT back (20%) for stuff bought in-country?  

3.  What will the process be at OR Tambo?  She will report to the RED zone - what can she expect there?  By when / how must the VAT & feees be paid?  Would it be possible to refer the discussion to the Customs offices "outside" arrival so that I can assist her?

Ask Lexx, he posted a few posts above you and works for SARS.

Hi There,

SARS has the right to classify something that is not 100% complete but is deemed to be the entire item.

Back in 2004 I handled the shipping for the Rotwild team for the Cape Epic. They bought in loads of spares, paid a deposit as it would all be leaving the country but upon exportation Customs counted so may parts that had been "consumed" during the race that they "deemed" a whole bike staying in the country and charged them duty on all those parts,

Re: UK VAT refunds - there are offices pre-security at the major airports. You need to go there first WITH the goods to claim back the VAT. This should be simple enough - at least at Heathrow T5 (where I normally leave from) you can check in, get your oversized bike box tagged for the flight, go to the VAT refund office and then drop the bike at the oversized luggage ramp. All close together at the right side of check-in. Other airports/terminals not so sure, but should be easy enough.

You need to be flying out of the EU (not via another EU airport) on a non-resident passport and have the VAT receipt showing a non EU address as well (Make sure you get this at purchase).

I doubt the missing wheels will be a problem on the UK end. As to SARS at JHB - good luck. I've found the airport guys in CT to be pretty reasonable, but I don't hold an SA passport, so they are probably a bit more lenient with me.