Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

*snip*

So anyone out there wanting to invest a few million into being a distributor go ahead , according to many expert Hubbers it is easy and you get to rip off the shops and the end user ( money just grows on trees out there) 

Anyway......... 

So basically the bike shops should just import the stuff they think they will need themselves then. The agents seem to be an angry lot.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest. If I send a pair of shoes to UK for custom painting, when I receive it back from painting do I have to pay any duties when picking it up? The cost of having a pair bought their by artist and then shipping is astronomical excluding the 40% duty and 14% vat added.

technically you should have the shoes inspected by Customs (DA65 document produced) upon exportation and when it is returned you should pay duty on the value of the service provided on the shoes.

like repair + return.

Send your R1m machine for a service to the UK, you just pay vat/duties on the cost of the repair not the whole machine again.

• 1 month later...

Any one know which tax duty codes I can refer to for cycle related goods (i.e. Nutrition, Groupsets and parts)? I have seen earlier posts regarding certain rates, have they been amended or still the same?

Hi Guys

Duty on energy gels & powdered energy drinks. Tried searching but cant seem to find it on the schedule.

Cheers

Hi Guys

Duty on energy gels & powdered energy drinks. Tried searching but cant seem to find it on the schedule.

Cheers

Sorry i'm only replying now, Was in Hospital for 4 days. You will Pay 20% Duties ( tarrif code: 2106.90.90 (7)on the Gel and powdered drinks also 20%

Any one know which tax duty codes I can refer to for cycle related goods (i.e. Nutrition, Groupsets and parts)? I have seen earlier posts regarding certain rates, have they been amended or still the same?

Nutrition falls under a different Tariff code as cycling goods. They usually stay the same, depends on what you want to import.

Im contemplating ordering a frame from Chain Reaction. Anybody have a clue what the costs are involved except the normal VAT and shipping costs?

Im contemplating ordering a frame from Chain Reaction. Anybody have a clue what the costs are involved except the normal VAT and shipping costs?

That's it. Frame is a zero duty item, like all other bike parts. So VAT and then that 10% ATB which makes VAT an effective 15.4%

That's it. Frame is a zero duty item, like all other bike parts. So VAT and then that 10% ATB which makes VAT an effective 15.4%

Thanks as always Kaptein - The fountain of all knowledge   :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

What are the import duties on power meters?

If it's not too late, it's 0, because it's classified as cycling electronics. You just add our VAT (+14%) and ATV (+10%) and whatever admin/handling fee the PO charges if you go that route. 

Does anyone know what the customs perctage would be to bring in an indoor trainer? looking at the Tacx Bushido Smart Trainer.

Does anyone know what the customs perctage would be to bring in an indoor trainer? looking at the Tacx Bushido Smart Trainer.

And I'm interested in the import duties on Tacx rollers... so much cheaper on CRC.

And I'm interested in the import duties on Tacx rollers... so much cheaper on CRC.

Sorry i am only coming back to you today. Is hectic at work. Nope, there are no Duties attached to rollers being imported. only the 14% vat and 10% atv

I haven't read the whole threa just browsed . Most talk about crc being very reliable . How are Evans cycles ? And what % of the total price would I pay on a wheelset ? Would use a courier . Have never ordered from the uk,but there are some great deals on Evans.