Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi All 

I just dont get the import rubbish, chain reaction is having a sale on High 5 nutrition, does anyone know if there is duties on nutrition? think the order comes to R1100

Thanks

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All 

I just dont get the import rubbish, chain reaction is having a sale on High 5 nutrition, does anyone know if there is duties on nutrition? think the order comes to R1100

Thanks

no local joy wrt what you want? high5online.co.za

Edited by Capricorn

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to thank the forum for the help and guidance in ordering some my goods from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Taking all the advice i took the plunge and decided to order a Tacx Trainer, some new Conti tires and some other odds and ends and i thought it would be useful to share the experience.

Timeline:
> Placed my order with CRC on the 11th June 17 (using the free delivery service) 
> Items were shipped on the 12th June 17 (Parcelforce was the carrier) 
> Tracked parcel on the ParcelForce website using CRC tracking ref (see 

25/6/2017                       20:48           SOUTH AFRICA               Received at delivery depot

25/6/2017                       8:37              JO'BURG INT MAILCENTRE EMS…+JO'BURG INT MAIL CENTRE EMS

Tracked in destination country

22/6/2017                       15:37           JO'BURG INT MAILCENTRE EMS…+JO'BURG INT MAIL CENTRE EMS

Arrived in destination country

14/6/2017                       10:00           International Hub       Exported from the UK

14/6/2017                       4:00              International Hub       Prepared for export

13/6/2017                       21:21           International Hub       Sorted for export

> On the 27th, I called the SA contact no on the ParcelForce website (0860111502 - SAPO ) and after giving the Parcelforce tracking ref, they then gave me the SA post office tracking ref and told me that the parcel just arrived at my local Post office.
> Using the new tracking numbers, I then picked up the items at the Post Office on the same day (27th June)
> In terms of costs  - I had to pay VAT + (clearance fee R46)

Overall, I am pretty happy with the experience and 2 weeks for the "free delivery" service was impressive considering it had to got through customs and Post Office. 

• 3 weeks later...

no local joy wrt what you want? high5online.co.za

local joy on availability maybe, but heart ache on price.

Example - ISOGel Plus Caffeine - Local R635 for 25x60, CRC R284 + 15.4% (no import duty) and if ordered on its own + R100 shipping.

I cannot understand why a local distributor cannot at least match a retailer from another country. Jeez, what deal do they have with the manufacturer

I will now import whenever I can.  Have tried to "keep it local" with bad results.

Much, much cheaper.  Pay import levies and still smile.  (Beware clothes, shoes etc.)

It's to protect our fragile textile industry from the Chinese (some would say from itself).

My friend, the African ANC-led government killed the local clothing industry by SELLING IT OUT TO THE CHINESE a long, long time ago (ie. not supporting the local industry enough by whatever means, ie. tax incentives etc). Salt River, Woodstock - hubs of clothing activity were killed off to cheap Chinese imports (where palms got nicely greased if you're in gov). So in essense it's protecting it in their (the Chinese) favour.

Edited by fusion01

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to thank the forum for the help and guidance in ordering some my goods from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Taking all the advice i took the plunge and decided to order a Tacx Trainer, some new Conti tires and some other odds and ends and i thought it would be useful to share the experience.

Timeline:

> Placed my order with CRC on the 11th June 17 (using the free delivery service) 

> Items were shipped on the 12th June 17 (Parcelforce was the carrier) 

> Tracked parcel on the ParcelForce website using CRC tracking ref (see 

25/6/2017                       20:48           SOUTH AFRICA               Received at delivery depot

25/6/2017                       8:37              JO'BURG INT MAILCENTRE EMS…+JO'BURG INT MAIL CENTRE EMS

Tracked in destination country

22/6/2017                       15:37           JO'BURG INT MAILCENTRE EMS…+JO'BURG INT MAIL CENTRE EMS

Arrived in destination country

14/6/2017                       10:00           International Hub       Exported from the UK

14/6/2017                       4:00              International Hub       Prepared for export

13/6/2017                       21:21           International Hub       Sorted for export

> On the 27th, I called the SA contact no on the ParcelForce website (0860111502 - SAPO ) and after giving the Parcelforce tracking ref, they then gave me the SA post office tracking ref and told me that the parcel just arrived at my local Post office.

> Using the new tracking numbers, I then picked up the items at the Post Office on the same day (27th June)

> In terms of costs  - I had to pay VAT + (clearance fee R46)

Overall, I am pretty happy with the experience and 2 weeks for the "free delivery" service was impressive considering it had to got through customs and Post Office. 

Not meaning to troll but there are many here who will tell you you can wait months for a delivery. I waited 2.5 months on some Troy Lee MTB shorts, I had given up, thought stolen. Thon local duties shafted me big time as a final insult. If I import I'll courier it or nothing, I don't trust local PO to be professional.

Anyway I try to support all local as much as possible. LBS's, Chris Willemse, Evo Bikes etc. Price I see is reassuring, none of this conversion bull**** involved. Supporting local is lekker. But yes sometimes local can't match and one must look elsewhere... 'tis true.

Not meaning to troll but there are many here who will tell you you can wait months for a delivery. I waited 2.5 months on some Troy Lee MTB shorts, I had given up, thought stolen. Thon local duties shafted me big time as a final insult. If I import I'll courier it or nothing, I don't trust local PO to be professional.

Import clothing or shoes at your own peril! I have only waited long on imports when clothes are involved.  Plus, clothing and shoes are really the only thing (general comment based on what most people here will be interested in buying) that attract ridiculous duties.  You will pay those regardless of using Post Office or Courier. Post office will charge you R22-46 for clearing whilst Courier is north of R150 for that service.

Also, there is a difference between Post Office hold up and SARS Customs hold up.  I am not a crusader for the Post Office, but lets be fair.  The courier will however nag on your behalf and the PO won't.

I imported a pair of hand made shoes from Spain (Luck). The seller was so nice as to change all docs to only state Cycling Equipment (therefore no duties). SARS however read the bloody sticker on the box with the Corporate Logo of the Company - i.e. Luck Shoe Company. The SARS sticker on the box is the tell tale sign of them cutting it open to inspect - I was out of luck :whistling: , but even with the 35% import duty (as it was from EU), it was still cheaper than most shop shoes here, and that for hand made on a personalized last.

EDIT 9/1/2012 - Use this handy calculator that Velouria found http://www.dutycalculator.com/

It determines how much you will have to pay to SARS when ordering stuff from oversees.

The steps to calculate the total duties and VAT are:

• Calculate the Rand (ZAR) value of the invoice (including shipping). This should be done by converting the foreign amount (INV) into ZAR using the SARS exchange rate (ROE) for the date of export. This is the customs value.
  • Calculate the import duties, using the amounts in Capricorn's list (ID%), based on customs value. These are the Duties (D).
  • Add 10% to the customs value from step 1. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the goods.
  • Add 10% to the Duties value from step 2. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the duties.
  • Add the Duties amount from step 2 to the two VAT amounts from steps 3 and 4 to get a the total amount payable to SARS.
  • Add the clearing fee (usualy R25 for SAPO and R100 for UPS) to the step 5 value to get the total amount you have to pay.
All of the above expressed in algebra:

• CV = INV x ROE
  • D = CV x ID%
  • VATGoods = (CV x 1.1) x 0.14
  • VATDuties = (D x 1.1) x 0.14
  • TotalSARS = D + VATGoods + VATDuties
  • Grand Total = Clearance Fee + TotalSARS
And, converting back to English, these are the actual percentages you will pay to SARS for the stuff on Capricorn's list:

cycling shorts (classified as clothing) : 67.3%

shoes, socks, (bags?) : 61.6%

Gloves, bike cases, (bags?) : 50.0%

Helmets (fullface or other) : 44.3%

Knee pads and other protective equipment : 38.5%

plastic bottles : 32.7%

whole bicycles : 32.7%

Goggles, sunglasses : 15.4%

bike components : 15.4%

cycling electronics : 15.4%

Some applicable links:

SARS -Customs Duty

SARS Exchange Rates

SARS Valuation Guide

SARS - Tariff Schedule 2011/04/07

Some useful tariff codes:

Duty free:

Sunglasses - 9004.10

Bicycle tyres/tubes - 4011.50/4013.20

Bicycle lights - 8512.10

Bicycle parts - 8714.*

15% Duty

Complete bikes - 8712.00.10

30% Duty

Bike case, possibly bags - 4202.*

You can squeeze a little more off your cost if you ask the supplier to invoice you separately for the freight, this way your customs value is deflated significantly. CRC obviously wont have this but if you are dealing with a supplier it is a handy agreement 

Hello All,

I have recently imported a bunch of stuff from CRC. The items came through SAPO and they are charging me +-2800 on a +-R7200 invoice. Items are as follows:

1. XT 1x11 Component set

2. Floor Pump

3. Bearing puller and press set with adaptors

4.Cleaning brushes

5. Chain cleaner

6. Torque Wrench

7. Cable set

From my research, it seems all these items should be Duty free and I will only have to pay VAT which should only come to around R1200.

I would appreciate any advice?

Edited by LukePurdon

Hello All,

I have recently imported a bunch of stuff from CRC. The items came through SAPO and they are charging me +-2800 on a +-R7200 invoice. Items are as follows:

1. XT 1x11 Component set

2. Floor Pump

3. Bearing puller and press set with adaptors

4.Cleaning brushes

5. Chain cleaner

6. Torque Wrench

7. Cable set

From my research, it seems all these items should be Duty free and I will only have to pay VAT which should only come to around R1200.

I would appreciate any advice?

Sheesh!!! That is insane! Goodluck with trying to get it sorted! I found that working through DHL (more expensive shipping I know, but also quicker) the VAT is calculated a lot more accurate and a lot less BS. 

The Saga continues...

I went to the post office today to collect my items.

CRC, in their infinite wisdom, has sent my items in two separate boxes. Attached to each of the boxes was a FULL invoice for ALL my items. I was therefore, not only charged R1400 of duties for duty free items, but I was charged R2800 X 2 = 5600 for R7000 worth of items.

I have sent the stuff back for "re-assessment" to customs. 

In the meantime I have requested that CRC, due to their error, re-ships me my goods via DHL and recalls the original shipment.

I don't hold out much hope, but lets see how it goes.

The Saga continues...

I went to the post office today to collect my items.

CRC, in their infinite wisdom, has sent my items in two separate boxes. Attached to each of the boxes was a FULL invoice for ALL my items. I was therefore, not only charged R1400 of duties for duty free items, but I was charged R2800 X 2 = 5600 for R7000 worth of items.

I have sent the stuff back for "re-assessment" to customs. 

In the meantime I have requested that CRC, due to their error, re-ships me my goods via DHL and recalls the original shipment.

I don't hold out much hope, but lets see how it goes.

joh. That's a MAJOR stuffup. 

BUT. In their defence - Customs should have looked at the invoice numbers and shipping manifest as well as the parcel count on the invoice. 

joh. That's a MAJOR stuffup. 

BUT. In their defence - Customs should have looked at the invoice numbers and shipping manifest as well as the parcel count on the invoice. 

Number of parcels on the shipping Manifest: 1