Indoor trainer program

Big Ben, what type of indoor trainer do you have, i.e. rollers, resistance and what type of riding do you want to train for i.e. mtb XC, marathon, road avg fun ride...

...that one doesn't get too bored with?

smileys/smiley11.gif Is that even possible?

CVANC - smiley11.gif Is that even possible?

Depends how motivated you are to train - even when in SA I trained weekdays on my ID trainer, in the begining it was a schleep, but with as long as you vary the training, use a fan and some good music it can be quite enjoyable.

Yeah - that is what I do in the winter months - weekdays (usually in the evenings) for about an hour and a half on rollers. Different interval sets, and different intensities. Weekends on the road or MTB to restore sanity.

I don't think boring is the term - excrutiating is more like it. You sweat like a pig, your bum gets sore, your hands go numb, your grip tape starts to stink. Depends how motivated you are.

Anyone interested can PM me, I have a couple of nice indoor sessions that break down the 60mins into smaller managable chunks. Just remember to include your e-mail address so I can forward you the file.

Makes it ALMOST possible to enjoy it. smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The key to indoor training is to have specific plan to follow, don?t try and spend the whole hour just riding with no objective. You need to make it varied and difficult enough to keep your mind concentrated on the task.

Set up a desk fan (not too close) to move the air around and some good music (this is where a MP3 comes in handy).

Below is an ?almost? 60 minute version of something I have used before, useful when training for XC, although ideally you need longer (1.5 -2 hrs). Some of the exercises use cadence and others may seem ?strange? (Riding with no hands), just try it and if you don?t have a cadence sensor fitted just follow the basic idea of gradually increasing / decrease pedaling speed.

Exercises (4) and (6) can be done twice but with 5-10 minutes recovery between each set and the WU and CD times can be increased if you want to spend more than 60 minutes on the trainer.

Lo = Low intensity (< 65% max HR)

Med = Medium intensity (65% > 75%)

Hi = High intensity (75% > 80%)

Rpm = pedaling cadence, +/- if you don?t have a cadence indicator

? = minutes

s = seconds

1) 10? WU at +/- 90 - 100 rpm, Lo intensity, no incline - stand a few times

for 30s.

2) 5? Med intensity, no incline, 95 - 105 rpm, every minute increase your cadence

slightly for 4 min, last minute return to normal cadence.

3) 5? Lo ? Med intensity, single leg reps, normal to low cadence,

(30s left leg, 30s both, 30s right leg, 30s both) x 2

1? Med, normal rpm.

4) 10? Med - Hi, Simulated hill climb, set resistance to equivalent of 5-6 %

gradient, Start Lo progress through Med to Hi, do not exceed 75% max

HR, change down to an easier gear before HR goes above 75%, try and keep

upper body and hands relaxed.

2? 80 rpm, 2? 90 rpm, 2? 100 rpm, 2? 90 rpm, 2? 80 rpm

5) 5? Lo, recovery normal rpm, no incline.

6) 10? Hi, no incline, vary pedaling speed by occasionally changing gears. Keep

HR in 75 ? 80% range throughout the 10 min, don?t start to hard as HR will lag

behind effort for the first few minutes.

7) 5 ? 10? Lo, recovery normal rpm, no incline.

8) 6? Med, normal to low rpm, cycle standing with one and both hands off the

handle bar, try and keep your body straight and not lean to the side when

riding with one hand off. The object is to work some of the muscles you forgot

you had, whilst still cycling at the same time.

Standing 30s LH off, 30s RH off

Sit 60s with both hands off behind your back, body position same as if riding

in the drops.

2? Med, normal hand position and rpm.

Repeat above LH, RH and Both off routine.

9) 10 ? 20? Lo, recovery normal rpm, no incline.

SwissVan38804.8553587963

Went to Droster Renoster's charity spinnathon on Saturday and I can attest to the fact that changing bike position (i.e. riding without hands) is hugely beneficial. I hurt in place I never knew existed!

I am looking to start spinning this winter, if I can find a gym with a good class at the right time.

BigBen, this may be a better option?

As long as you were not shouting "Look Droster no hands" in the class.

Wait till you try this for real on the road (riding with one hand and standing), guaranteed to hurt, instantlysmileys/smiley2.gif

smileys/smiley4.gif

I have found that indoor work can become tedious at times but I agree with SV on this one..vary your workout and it can benefit you...I recently after my injury invested in a decent indoor trainer and set up a training programme when I need to use it...especially with crappy weather. It helped me alot .... Swiss van's suggestions are spot on...use it......... 

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif".........

Thanks guys! I will try SwissVans suggestion for the next week or 2 and report back!

MichelleH - the only spinning available around our place is at the local gym, 2 problems - you pay full mebership just to use the spinning class and they have limited classes meaning if you aren't there way early no chance of getting a bike!

How beneficial is spinning at the gym in keeping up some level of bike fitness? Classes vary from 45 mins to 90 mins.

The mornings have got very dark very fast in CT and I don't have my own indoor trainer.

T

Michelle,

If you belong to a medical aid (discovery or momentum) they have 'vitality/ oxygen' schemes which reward healthy lifestyles with cheap access to various things, shhesh I sound like a salesman smileys/smiley11.gif. costs me R70something a month. My wife and I can use a VA gym for free (or Planet Hollywod but we chose VA as it is more convenient). VA generally have 3 morning, 1 lunch and two evening spinning classes a day. duration is 45, 55, 60, 90 or 120 minutes depending on particular class. all classes are free. Instructors range from crap to excellent, but if they generally have their own 'slots' at the same time each week so you can pick and choose.

Check http://www.virginactive.co.za/ and look under timetables.

Tarryng - IMO gym spinning classes for cycling rate a 5/10, purely because a spinning bike (fixed gear) and your typical gym spinning instructor / program do not cater for real cycling.

Personally I find the fixed gear flywheel effect hurt my ankle ligaments, especially in the beginning and took a bit of getting used to.

(Don?t try and back pedal he he)smileys/smiley4.gif

That being said it is definitely better than doing no training and can be effective for out of season training, especially if you have an instructor who is a cyclist providing realistic cycle type training.

Plus the change in scenery, people and general good vibe can be refreshing.

No hands on the rollers? Standing? Sounds like a death wish to me.

Imagine explaining that one at work - I crashed into the coffee table while cycling in the lounge, watching TV smileys/smiley18.gifsmileys/smiley11.gif