Events are getting too expensive

Pierre GlobalSp

MTB events are too expensive  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The expense of entering MTB events is putting me off taking part in them.

• Agree
    • Disagree

This seems like a very interesting topic, I have been involved in organizing an event in Cape Town and there are so many costs involved in the organisation, I don't even know where to start.

- Medics - 2 or 3 Medics for a 2 day event

- Portable toilets in some cases

- Marshall's- Unless you are lucky enough to get volunteers

- Timing System

- Advertising Costs

- Venue Hire

- Some places require an Environmental Management Plan to be put in place (Please note, not all places)

- Race Day director

- Event Organizer

- Number boards

- Vehicle Hire (for downhill races)

- Track Maintenance (usually before and after an event)

- Miscellaneous items (danger tape, cable ties,

- Registration

- Commentator

- PA System

- Communication on the day (walkie talkies, etc.)

- You some times have to pay property insurance, although not a lot, it is still an expense.

Theses costs all add up, and quickly. This especially when it comes to Downhill events, but we are prepared to pay because we are just happy that there is an event. And at the moment not many people are willing to dish out lads of cash for events, a lot of the 'sponsors' provide product or services, which does help in some way but cash is always king.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So everything is basically the same in relation to each other. Your salary is 5x higher then in SA but the houses and food are 5X more expensive.

except that a Sunday morning mtb organized ride is 5x less expensive. How does that work?!?!?

So everything is basically the same in relation to each other. Your salary is 5x higher then in SA but the houses and food are 5X more expensive.

LOL does Moegoe mean Clown?

I wish my salary was 5 x higher than in SA, in reality it's about 1.7 x higher.

Houses? :D *** boet my little flat here costs about 7.5 x more than my house in SA and as for that tiny piece of steak I had last week it's about 7x more expensive per kg than in SA.

So no the salary does not match the cost of living.

This seems like a very interesting topic, I have been involved in organizing an event in Cape Town and there are so many costs involved in the organisation, I don't even know where to start.

- Medics - 2 or 3 Medics for a 2 day event

- Portable toilets in some cases

- Marshall's- Unless you are lucky enough to get volunteers

- Timing System

- Advertising Costs

- Venue Hire

- Some places require an Environmental Management Plan to be put in place (Please note, not all places)

- Race Day director

- Event Organizer

- Number boards

- Vehicle Hire (for downhill races)

- Track Maintenance (usually before and after an event)

- Miscellaneous items (danger tape, cable ties,

- Registration

- Commentator

- PA System

- Communication on the day (walkie talkies, etc.)

- You some times have to pay property insurance, although not a lot, it is still an expense.

Theses costs all add up, and quickly. This especially when it comes to Downhill events, but we are prepared to pay because we are just happy that there is an event. And at the moment not many people are willing to dish out lads of cash for events, a lot of the 'sponsors' provide product or services, which does help in some way but cash is always king.

Hope this helps a bit.

all well but what part does the sponsor pick up?

all well but what part does the sponsor pick up?

Most sponsors, do not sponsor the event as a whole. They maybe contribute to it, not always financialy, but with merchandise. Most cases, they will contribute to the rider T-shirts. Other little sub sponsors will contribute with prizes.

The event having a sponsor, doesn't mean the entry fee will be cheaper...it most often means that you will get more for what you are paying.

Swiss, mamparra/moegoe always gets his knickers in a twist when we compare SA to the rest of the world so I won't. Well, OK, I will, but only because you asked!

In Holland you either get expensive timed big events which are quite expensive, but they are also quite infrequent. It's only the Bart Brentjens Challenge and some of the Beach Races that do this and they are very slick.

What they do have here which is very reasonable (2 or 3 Euros per race!) are "toertochten" (touring rides), which are organised by the local bike clubs and have arrowed routes, sometimes snacks and maybe a pamphlet or two to pick up, but no timing and no frills. You just turn up between 8:00 and 10:00, sign on, pay and ride. No starting groups, no bitching about Winningtime/Racetec/whoever. You just get on your bike and ride. This would be perfect for SA to bring down the costs, but I fear everyone in SA wants to be timed and treated like a king/queen with timing and goodie bags and medals.

Thats a good point, SA cyclists/runners/ triathletes are spoilt for choices when it comes to well organized races (or fun rides) which combine the elites with funriders. The SA calander is a lot bigger than here, even if you include the weekend tours.

My view, without trying to sound pompus and arrogant:

I have no problem in paying R200 for being out in nature with a bunch of like minded people, pushing myself for a few hours on my bike, having a laugh and moan.

If i did not race on the weekends I would be at the pub spending a hell of a lot more than R200, that I can promise!

Am I going to go set up my own paths, organise watering points, get marshals and what ever else goes into these events............NO WAYS!! I would rather just pay my R200 and ride, and then go home!

But I guess if, like some of you have more than one rider you paying for then it does get costly.

Sjoe, why is this is so difficult to understand?

I'm sure organising a race takes a sh!tload of time and effort, if the organisers makes a few bob from doing it, fair juice to them.

"for the benefit of the sport" was mentioned in the summary thread. What? you serious? I build and sell billboards for a living, not "for the benefit of companies that want to advertise" but to make myself money. None of my clients demand to see my overheads, or wants to know what I'm going to do with the money before buying ad space from me. I give them a price and they pay it or they dont, simple as that. Its up to me to find the price balance between making money and losing customers

If you dont like what a race costs then dont ride it, getting on your bike and riding on public land is (mostly) free. Riding on someone's private property will cost you a few bucks. Thats how it works.

Personally I dont give a hoot where the race money goes, as long as its organised properly, I'm happy. And if its not, I'll probably not be back.

Bravo ZeePee!!! I'm with you on that totally!

If you want to, do it and if you don't, leave it alone. The only time you can raise a complaint is if it's not properly organised, and then as you say, you won't be back - and that applies to all businesses, it's called customer retention! Organising races is a business and the sooner people realise that, the better!

Some races really are the top end of the scale, but then you get what you pay for, hot showers, great meals, live entertainment, some brilliant private property riding, top of the range medical care (and that costs).....it all counts!

good points!!

To be honest, without races what is the point of training every weekend? sure the social aspect, but I would like to use all the training I have been doing in a race setting

I remeber a couple years ago we used to pay R1/km...

R40 bux for the classic at an MTB event and R100 for Amashova..

surely inflation hasnt risen that much!!??

Sjoe, why is this is so difficult to understand?

I'm sure organising a race takes a sh!tload of time and effort, if the organisers makes a few bob from doing it, fair juice to them.

"for the benefit of the sport" was mentioned in the summary thread. What? you serious? I build and sell billboards for a living, not "for the benefit of companies that want to advertise" but to make myself money. None of my clients demand to see my overheads, or wants to know what I'm going to do with the money before buying ad space from me. I give them a price and they pay it or they dont, simple as that. Its up to me to find the price balance between making money and losing customers

If you dont like what a race costs then dont ride it, getting on your bike and riding on public land is (mostly) free. Riding on someone's private property will cost you a few bucks. Thats how it works.

Personally I dont give a hoot where the race money goes, as long as its organised properly, I'm happy. And if its not, I'll probably not be back.

Very well said.

What's 'expensive' to me, might not be 'expensive' to you. Or vice versa.

We are all a potjiekos (mix, caleidoscope) of income-earners - from low to mid to high to wealthy...

Tough issue to debate.

From my position, I raced about 60% of the races last season than 2 seasons ago purely due to financial reasons.

:unsure:

The licensing fee is to see how many registered cycling participants our country has because goverment base their funding towards a sport based on registered numbers at a national sporting body. Cycling is curently a level c sport we can easily get to level a where rugby and soccer is. Unfortunately you need to be part of a club to be licensed but that is a UCI regulation

Sharkie I have heard this comment before. But what it does not answer is, what does this mean for me? How will government funding benefit 90% of the field who have very little chance of competing on the international stage? CSA need to be more visible in what they do for the weekend warrior before their fees will carry any justification arguing that it is a UCI regulation means zip to me personally.

I understand about the upkeep and staff employed to organise the events.

I am a PPA member but I do get hacked off when we pay higher prices than normal and the goodie bag sucks/ non existent!!!

Dont mind paying a little more for a good goodie bag :P

Exactly!

I recently bought a Wildcard which gives me an entire year's access to Tokai for R225. Races/funrides are overrated, unless you're actually competitive...

Couldn't agree more. I can spend all day every day riding in Tokai for an entire year and it hasn't cost me more that R225 + diesel to get there. I get water from the tap at the main gate and I'm off. Local races are expensive and not worth the price particularly when you include the additional costs of getting to them plus the rip-off prices of food and drink at the events.