Do Mountain Bikers Smoke ?

Trelawney

Do Mountain Bikers Smoke ?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Hey Mountain Bikers - Do you smoke ?

• Yes - Regularly
    • Yes - Occasionally
    • No - Gave up a while back
    • No - Have never smoked

I've taken up smoking recently and must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's interesting to see that over 50% of the people in the poll have been smokers at one time or another.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a social smoker, till I trarted cycling more competativeley, stopping just came naturaly, dont even have a craving for one. I thought I would try one the other day (at a social gathering) and almost chucked my lunngs out after the third drag.

Let people smoke, its their choice, but I certainly feel much better for quitting and quite a lot healthier in the bank account too! My partner quit a year ago, that equals around R10,000, I quit 7 months ago, that is R5880, over R15,000 saved! That should be enough for anyone to quit these days!

Still not smoking, almost 11 months now. Thankfully I think I am over the worst of it and can now enjoy a beer with friends that smoke without 'lusting' after a ciggie! I certainly smell better!

Dont know about Mtbikers but Downhillers smoke for sure, question is what? They are just nuts for doing some of the scary riding they do!

Well they say a fit smoker is 6 times more fitter than a non fit smoker on the same level training. Im a smoker, when I cycle a 120-150ks i take my cigarettes with. When I come back from a 20k run i light up my cigarette. At first it was a shock on the lungs. As training went by, the lungs got used to it. Smoking and hill riding. If you are used to it, you will be fine.

This is is one reason why I love Mountain biking. There is no way my 16 year old son will start smoking as he believes it will influence his fitness. Mountain biking seems to be a better parent than me!

Well they say a fit smoker is 6 times more fitter than a non fit smoker on the same level training. Im a smoker, when I cycle a 120-150ks i take my cigarettes with. When I come back from a 20k run i light up my cigarette. At first it was a shock on the lungs. As training went by, the lungs got used to it. Smoking and hill riding. If you are used to it, you will be fine.

Ja, smokers will almost always find a good excuse to try and justify their filthy habit.

I agree , they are 6 times fitter, yip bloody fit in the excuses department.

Dirt you have been on the hub long enough to know which direction this pointless debate is going to go, non smokers be happy being non smokers,, smokers have fun smoking, At the end of the day its a choice made by an individual, Its not up to anyone to flame anyone else for their choices even if you dont like that choice, live with one another, clean the bikes and have fun. Thing about life we take it all way to seriously. Relax and lets just have some good ol fashioned fun.

Let me go phone CWC to see if my bike is ready :) and BTW ChrisJ you are the MAN, yes you!:w00t:

I've taken up smoking recently and must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's interesting to see that over 50% of the people in the poll have been smokers at one time or another.

Yes, I'm really enjoying the gaspers lately. This summer league if I'm feeling good up Ou Kaaps I'm going to light one up in the bunch. Undo some negative stereotypes. Maybe there are some sponsorship dollars in it for us. Lord knows those have been thin on the ground lately.

Dirt you have been on the hub long enough to know which direction this pointless debate is going to go, non smokers be happy being non smokers,, smokers have fun smoking, At the end of the day its a choice made by an individual, Its not up to anyone to flame anyone else for their choices even if you dont like that choice, live with one another, clean the bikes and have fun. Thing about life we take it all way to seriously. Relax and lets just have some good ol fashioned fun.

Let me go phone CWC to see if my bike is ready :) and BTW ChrisJ you are the MAN, yes you!:w00t:

oooohhhh, what you get, what you get ? :) New fork fitted

Ja, smokers will almost always find a good excuse to try and justify their filthy habit.

I agree , they are 6 times fitter, yip bloody fit in the excuses department.

Sorry, but i dont justify my filthy habit, i just say it is possible for a smoker to do hills without coughting your lungs out if you are used to it. And that is just a saying that Smokers is 6 times fitter than non smokers. I have a filthy habit, but it is my habit.

Sorry, but i dont justify my filthy habit, i just say it is possible for a smoker to do hills without coughting your lungs out if you are used to it. And that is just a saying that Smokers is 6 times fitter than non smokers. I have a filthy habit, but it is my habit.

This is what triggered me off, add some facts to that excuse if you wish.

I couldn't give a shyte if someone smokes. But, when if affects me, like inside or outside pubs/restaurants and shopping malls then I draw the line. Take your smoke before going to the restaurant, eat, and when you leave you can have it again. No problem. And stop throwing your sigarette buds out of your cars. If you live in the east, check at the Atlas Rd robot when coming of the highway... thats disgusting!!!