Power Geek Gizmo Heaven!!

bruce

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for 1 have NO idea what you guys are talking about!??!!?!?!? and it's bugging the crap outa me!

Baby English please!!! Are you saying I can use a different CPU other than the one that came with the PowerTap Hub? if not, wth?

Marius2007-08-30 01:18:30

ANT is a standardised wireless protocol that uses the 2.4 GHz frequency - similar to systems like Bluetooth.

This allows components from different manufactures to interoperate with each other.  So, so you can have a Garmin CPU, powertap hub, and a Quarq HR strap.

Thx Bruce, now I get it. That would be pretty cool since the HR Strap I got with the PowerTap have never worked. Thumbs%20Down

i have already put in my order with mrs. dr. seuss for a Qranium for xmas!

the backlight functionality alone makes the CPU far superior to that of the PT.

good question around how it will handle the zeroing.

are these ANT signals encoded / encrypted?  would be nice to add a module to your Qranium to pick up the realtime Wattage of the rest of the field.

That new powermeter looks like the BUSINESS!!!! Cannot wait for them to announce price, availability etc. I think that it is going to give SRM, Ergomo and PT a run for their money (or should that be a RIDE for their money LOL)

are these ANT signals encoded / encrypted?  would be nice to add a module to your Qranium to pick up the realtime Wattage of the rest of the field.

Nah, riding next to Marcovb and 101% would just be depressing!!

I just spoke to Garmin SA. They will only be bringing in the Edge 705 next year. They wont even tell me if its gonna be in Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4. And they said if i import a 705, I wont get it serviced in SA - i'll have to send it back to the states.

That kinda sucks.... With a sh*tty corporate policy like that, I'm kinda disinclined to continue supporting them...

This zeroing you talk about - is that like when my Polar power gives a zero reading for half an hour in the morning?LOL

Hey Bruce. Love your Avatar!!!Clap

not me! 

it is enough to have the "Image of the Cow" invoke visions of pain & suffering at the races,  but now it has invaded my desktop! 

in fact,  if you stare at it long enough,  look away and blink your eyes very quickly the image is still there & i swear i can feel a buildup of lactic acid!

all the hard earned money I am saving towards the annual bulk-meat clearance sale now has to go to more counseling & hypnotherapy...

Have a look at:

They seem to suggest that the Garmin 705 is only compatible with the "new" SRM.

Any ides if there will be compatibility wit the PT 2.4? Afraid the science is beyond me!

This is the subject of much debate!  Seems like Saris use the Ant physical communications mechanism, but the message format is proprietary.  So, either Saris must give Garmin their message format so Garmin can understand messages coming from the PT hub, or Saris must change their message format to be the same as the Garmin standard.  Problem is that the PT hub would not be upgradeable from a firmware perspective - so, let's wait and see what happens.