You don't own the road

Lipton

I’ve been cycling for years and now a mountain biker converted roadie. This weekend I was traveling along the Golden Gate route and was utterly discussed in the behavior of the cyclist using the route. And not to mention that it was professional cyclists that were behaving is such self-centered manner. Being sponsored by MTN and wearing a yellow jersey doesn’t give you the right to own the road. The cyclist was cycling abreast with not even thinking of moving out of the way of motor vehicles, and was really testing the motorist using the road patients.

The roadies always complain about motorist wanting to drive them out the way but they are self responsible for this behavior. This was just another example why there are so many cycling accidents on the roads. The bit of sympathy I had for a cyclist being knocked over by a motorist has diluted even further after seeing this behavior.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. Stop bitching about cyclist on a cycling forum. You get nowhere!

Secondly.....if stupidity or inconsideration makes you a candidate to get mowed down in an accident, 90% of all MOTORISTS will be dead and my heart will pump chocolates!!!! B)

Just this morning on my commute I saw 56 cars speeding, 3 buses skipping red lights, 24 people talking of phones, 12 unroadworthy taxis and countless other law breaking motorists.

Irresponsible cyclists.....they ride a 10kg bike, only endangering themselves......an irresponsible motorist drives a 2 ton piece of steel endangering himself and at least 5 other people around him....

So take them bitchin' and go post on a motoring site!!!!!!!! :angry:

Unfortunately so true... exactly why I try my best to only train with small groups of riders. Rode with a bunch recently who kept riding 3 abreast even when there were cars sitting behind them, was the most embarrassing thing I've done in ages!

bit harsh to generalize cause of this incident

most cyclist do try and behave in a manner that is safe for themselves and motorists.

some people do have attitude probs and do think they own the road.... they are fortunately in my opinion in the minority.

name the guys/s or girl/s - that should be enough punishment for them if they have a conscience

But if motorists can't read signs next to the road with huge writing, how are they gonna read what Lipton post on their site.

Anyway, cyclists (pro or not) should know better not to hold traffic up!

Dude. Stop bitching about cyclist on a cycling forum. You get nowhere!

Secondly.....if stupidity or inconsideration makes you a candidate to get mowed down in an accident, 90% of all MOTORISTS will be dead and my heart will pump chocolates!!!! B)

Just this morning on my commute I saw 56 cars speeding, 3 buses skipping red lights, 24 people talking of phones, 12 unroadworthy taxis and countless other law breaking motorists.

Irresponsible cyclists.....they ride a 10kg bike, only endangering themselves......an irresponsible motorist drives a 2 ton piece of steel endangering himself and at least 5 other people around him....

Well said!!!

But if motorists can't read signs next to the road with huge writing, how are they gonna read what Lipton post on their site.

Anyway, cyclists (pro or not) should know better not to hold traffic up!

They probably have thick skulls from too much sun.

I'm with Lipton on this one!!

I'm noticing more and more cyclists on highways! Common sense people, common sense...

I've seen the MTN jerseys for sale at Sportsmans Warehouse, so it doesn't mean that they were sponsored by MTN.

Anyway, I agree, this forum is called Rant n Rave, so if you spot cyclists riding like idiots, you have every right to post it here and lodge your complaint. If your complaint makes 1 more cyclist ride responsibly, then you have achieved something.

There is a war between the motorists and the cyclists and the only way to win this battle is for the cyclists to keep their side clean. Unfortunately, little is done by the authorities to control the action of cyclists, so it is up to us (as cyclists) to do the policing. The hub is one way to do this.

Many cyclists do ride like idiots and still have the cheek to moan at the motorists and blame motorists for the accidents that they (the cyclists) have caused.

But you cannot generalise, just because one or two cyclists ride like idiots, you cannot paint them all with the same brush and you should not dilute any simpathy for injured/killed cyclists.

If youre a roadie and ride like a twat - then dont. Grates my cheese to no end, especially when they give you the finger, for telling them off. :angry:

I've seen the MTN jerseys for sale at Sportsmans Warehouse, so it doesn't mean that they were sponsored by MTN.

I know that the MTN ladies are having a training camp at Clarens. Possibly the whole male and female squad!?