NEW LICENSE RULES!

Quantum

.............so lets look to another sport please

Which sport do you want to look at ?     Every sport has the same structure and rules' date=' tennis, hockey, rugby, cricket, swimming, Pigdeon racing, show jumping, Endurance horse riding, snooker, darts, Karate, wrestling and Boxing.  Why should cycling be a special case?
[/quote']

"Absolute Rubbish" guy in pink.!

It seems to me you are doing a bit of thumb sucking here, Just from the few sports you mention you dont need to belong to any formal CLUB structure to play, tennis, golf, swimming, squash,and definately NOT for Pigeon racing, if its considered a sport.

On sports like Karate, Boxing and wrestling you need to join a do jo or club, for the simple reason of "formal training" by a qualified instructor - how do you learn the sport of karate, boxing etc (unless you come from BoksburgBig%20smile - sorry Scotty!Big%20smile) without training - last time I looked you dont need formal training to ride a bike. 

The fact is the club system is a "dinosaur" its never worked well in any sport, because it serves no purpose other than a cash collecting mechanism, I can train just as well on my own (and do) if I am good enough I will enter and win races on my own and get noticed - so WHY do we need clubs?     

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont need to belong to a club to cycle either. You need to belong to a club to race though.... Same for all the sports pink guy mentioned. If you want to play professional tennis matches and win money, you need to belong to a club.

You dont need to belong to a club to cycle either. You need to belong to a club to race though.... Same for all the sports pink guy mentioned. If you want to play professional tennis matches and win money' date=' you need to belong to a club.

[/quote']

This is EXACTLY the issue - I like 99% of recreational cyclist will in all likelyhood never win a race - I enter for fun - license the top 200 - fine - leave the rest of us alone.

..............but that aint going to happen, simply because the top 200 cyclists produce very little money - its the puffing 20,000 who do and they are the cash cow everybody is after.

Furthermore, the puffing 20,000 couldnt give a hoot about the politics of the sport, they just want to have a day in the sun with their families, be a part of something big, maybe do a little better than last year and get some bragging rights.

So why not just come out and say so.?
widget2007-09-18 02:51:27

There is nothing wrong with belonging to a club, it works well in road running and it does not force you run certain days and routes. I think it will be good for cycling.

There is nothing wrong with belonging to a club' date=' it works well in road running and it does not force you run certain days and routes. I think it will be good for cycling.[/quote']

Agreed, there is nothing wrong - but its a democratic choice.

Actually it DOSNT work well anymore in running - read my other post on page three.

I don't mind paying my licence fees every year. I just hope it isn't going to be used to pay some high ranking official a 30 MIL bonus at the end of the year for doing nothing like they do in the soccer fraternity!!!!!

You dont need to belong to a club to cycle either. You need to belong to a club to race though.... Same for all the sports pink guy mentioned. If you want to play professional tennis matches and win money' date=' you need to belong to a club.

[/quote']

Ahhh, but there lies the problem.  You do need to belong to a club or a PPA to be able to get a "recreational licence" (costs R20).  At present the PPA in the Cape pays this money for all members that are not in possesion of a full or cyclosport license.  The real issue here is the ridiculous (in my opnion) R30 temporary licence that everybody not part of a club/PPA will have to buy every time they want to do a funride/race that is on the CSA calender.  This will seriously affect the recreational cyclist that only want s to his local churchs fundraiser ride; in the past it would have been R60 for a late entry, and R5 for a temporary number, now suddenly you have to add R30 for a temporary licence......Dead  This will kill growth in cycling.  But I hear that aspect of the licencing debate is not yet over......

But for sure, I think we, as the recreational cyclists should ask:  what is CSA giving me for my R20?  Or maybe we should ask:  what is R20?  (OK I know, in some people's cases it will also involve club memebership costs, so its not just R20). 

Good for u Widget!!!   I agree with everything you have said!  For my part the whole licensing is just a ball ache, and an expensive one at that. I have just been ripped off an extra 30 bucks for all the races I have done recently - now I am being forced into joining a club, and buy their kit, when me and my mates were perfectly happy tooling around on our own on our rides (having an effing gr8 time too). Anyway, now I see I won't be seeded in the big races like Amashova and the 94.7 if I don't have a license - so what in heck is the point?? There will be hundreds of unlicensed riders riders of vastly different ability all starting at the back because they find themselves unseeded. No??  I thought the licensing issue was supposed to promote safety - it seems to me that its doing just the opposite!!

Harryn2007-09-18 03:30:27

So everyone is unhappy to fork out thirty or two hundred bucks a year, while you're riding around on bikes of 20 - 50k?

So everyone is unhappy to fork out thirty or two hundred bucks a year' date=' while you're riding around on bikes of 20 - 50k? [/quote']

its not about the money... we're paying for something that we don't get anything from

its not about the money... we're paying for something that we don't get anything from

apparently you're not getting much from your 50k bike either...

yes I did, R34,000...

yes I did' date=' R34,000...
[/quote']

So then why bitch about the R30 you need to pay for a license. ANY sport where you're going to win prize money will require that you have a license and are affiliated to a club