NEW LICENSE RULES!

Quantum

Like most people, I have to pay R225 a year for a SABC TV licence and what do I get... diddly squat. Do I complain, no... instead I decide to pay DSTV R439.90/month so I can choose what I want to watch (within reason of course).

IMO, the same can be said about the cycling licence, what do I get - diddly squat. Instead I decide to pay club fees and kit (which now includes a recreational licence) and get to have a jol, and improve my seeding index by training with cyclists who are better and faster than me.

There, said my 2? cents worth... Approve

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that most of the license fees come from the road runners.  But most of the money is spend on track (Olympic) athletics which is a small elite group and admin fees (including trips to world cup events and the Olympics for officials).  I see the same thing happening in cycling.  Most of the money will be spend on a small elite group' date=' road and track, and the rest on admin.

I consider my running license fee as Running Tax.  Now I will have to start paying Cycling Tax too. Dead  

[/quote']

my 2 c . at the moment , any money that is raised by the licensed cyclist pays for admin costs ie there is no other funds available to send representative teams o/seas or implement any development. so what is the alternative? carry on as we have been since pa fell off the bus or ???? the majority of the cyclist in the argus / 94.7 are recreational and are quite prepared to pay in excess of R150 to ride the event without having any say as to where those funds are employed. is the money raised ploughed back into cycling? NO

Actually, you are incorrect.

Most recreational cyclists who ride the big races know very well where their money is going - CHARITY - its well published, the sponsors promote it, the charities thank them for it, some people even ride to collect money individually for the charities - so NO, its not ploughed back into cycling, because to be honest and blunt (please dont take offence), what did cycling put in to expect a return - in my opinion it gos to a better cause and is one of the reasons why many folk participate.

What has / will cycling (or a license) done (or what will it ever do) for Mom and Pop who puff their way around in 7 hours and go home feeling good that at the very least, they contributed to someones dinner next week?

Why expect them to be "happily" inconvenienced.

Even lap dogs bite when they are pushed too far. 

widget2007-09-18 08:09:55

Like most people' date=' I have to pay R225 a year for a SABC TV licence and what do I get... diddly squat. Do I complain, no... instead I decide to pay DSTV R439.90/month so I can choose what I want to watch (within reason of course).

IMO, the same can be said about the cycling licence, what do I get - diddly squat. Instead I decide to pay club fees and kit (which now includes a recreational licence) and get to have a jol, and improve my seeding index by training with cyclists who are better and faster than me.

There, said my 2? cents worth... Approve
[/quote']

Ek is 'n roof kyker so ek gaan 'n roof ryer ook word. LOL

its not about the money... we're paying for something that we don't get anything from

apparently you're not getting much from your 50k bike either...

yes I did' date=' R34,000...
[/quote']

So then why bitch about the R30 you need to pay for a license. ANY sport where you're going to win prize money will require that you have a license and are affiliated to a club

Not quite right. The REAL licensed riders in the racing groups u23/elite/ladies vets etc are illegible for prizes. The seeded groups are not in line to win anything except that sponsored Raleigh at the prize giving lucky draw, even if the A group gets a faster time than the pros they dont win a cent.

So... uhm.

What about writing the SuperCycling people with a link to this thread - explaining that there appears to be HUGE unhappiness (not to mention serious confusion) about the new licensing system - and get the CSA people on the show to "please explain"?

Has this been done yet [haven't watched SS for ages now]?

Would it help?

Shout if you all think its a worthwhile suggestion...

Quite honestly, if they havnt seen the threads over the last few months, they arnt doing their job (ie) Keeping abreast of relevant topics.

....but unfortunately, it seems SC is rather loathe to tackle "prickly" subjects. 

unless things have changed in the past few months then i think that you should take out a "cyclosport license" as you don't have to belong to a club to do this. u can download it from the CSA website.

Things have changed - I downloaded the CSA posting/letter concerning licences and have condensed it into the following few paragraphs - (Bold, Italic and underline are all by me)

"Events run under UCI regulation will, as usual, require an Elite Licence. For all other events (apart from minor "om-die-kerk" events) entrants (who do not have an Elite or Development Licence) will require to have either an existing Cyclo-Sport Licence or the new CSA Recreational Licence.

Cyclo-Sport Licences will continue to be in the same form;  a Licence card will be issued and licence holders will continue to be required to be a member of a club or a member of Pedal Power Association.  The price for a Cyclo-Sport Licence with effect from 1 January 2008 is likely to be set at R100,00.  The CSA Recreational Licence will be an alternative to the Cyclo-Sport Licence and, as its name implies, is intended for recreational cyclists who are not really interested in competition.  It will be cheaper and no licence card will be issued initially but it will still be a requirement that the licence holder must be a member of a club or of Pedal Power Association

Cyclists who do not wish to join PPA or a club affiliated to a Province, may not take out an annual CSA Recreational Licence but will have to take out a single event CSA Recreational Licence commonly known as "a day licence

Please note also that Provinces have the power, notwithstanding the new licence system, to regulate that any particular Event will not be open to a cyclist holding a CSA Recreational Licence and they may stipulate, for example, that a Cyclo-Sport Licence is a minimum requirement. 

This is a unique moment in the history of our sport in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />South Africaon> and we look forward to the co-operation and assistance of all Provinces and Clubs as well as Events, both large and small, all of whom stand to benefit from the new licensing system, in the long term.  In future, no Events will be placed on the CSA calendar unless the Event Organisers undertake to comply with the new licensing system."

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I like how clubs, provinces and Events all stand to benefit but nothing for the cyclists. Now we know why you HAVE to be a club member.

Maybe we should get Supercycling involved, but I think, don't quote me, this whole new system has to do with the government. Correct me if I am wrong.

And as for joining a club E1A104 it also "bothered" me, but i am over it. I guess I am gonna join sweet Cycle lab.........

Costs should not be the big deal, Look at the price of you bike, and its a once off......Evil%20Smile

FOR FFS IT'S NOT THE MONEY!!! It's the principle. I already have a group I ride, already have my own kit, so why would I want to join a club??

FOR FFS IT'S NOT THE MONEY!!! It's the principle. I already have a group I ride' date=' already have my own kit, so why would I want to join a club??

[/quote']

Hoor freekin hoor!!!

Ok ... so.. after thinking a bit about this.

1) Are you going to change anything by whinging about it in this forum? Probably not

2) Are you going to change anything by whinging about it to CSA? Again - probably not?

3) If we call in George Bush will anything happen? Probably not..

So' date='

either pay your R200 / year or dont ride races any more
[/quote'] Fundacious...with respect mate....this is the self same approach that makes this country the apathy that it is....the whole "dont question"and be "patriotic"crap is why people are ultimately exploited!! To answer your first 2 questions...yeah it's probably not .....but I would rather fail than blindly accept any crap thrown my way!!

FOR FFS IT'S NOT THE MONEY!!! It's the principle. I already have a group I ride' date=' already have my own kit, so why would I want to join a club??

[/quote'] Give up mate!!! Leave ostriches to do what they do best!!

What F-ing principle! Why are you so anti! The Majority are going to join anyaway if they are not members already! AND THEY NOT TURNING INTO GREEN MONSTERS! AND ITS NOT IRKING THEM! and they get an extra kit and maybe a pomp on the side!

Stop getting so IRKY! Embarrassed

What F-ing principle! Why are you so anti! The Majority are going to join anyaway if they are not members already! AND THEY NOT TURNING INTO GREEN MONSTERS! AND ITS NOT IRKING THEM! and they get an extra kit and maybe a pomp on the side!

Stop getting so IRKY! Embarrassed
Being in South Africa may I remind you that the "majority" also claimed not to know about the atrocities of apartheid whilst it took place before their eyes!! Principles are things you either have or don't. i.e. backbone vs jellyfish!!

Clearly..... You would rather fail.....

PS have you seen what a jelly fish is all about sweetheart!
I'm merely holding up a mirror and you do not like what you see!!...please move along to issues and yahoos that comensurates with your intellectual profile....!!