Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

My old hardtail that I made into a new toy... thanks to inspiration from my friend j_a_n

(with a before pic of the bike)

post-6012-0-73901700-1315053340.jpg

post-6012-0-93966200-1315053360.jpg

post-6012-0-66083100-1315053371.jpg

post-6012-0-07593700-1315053400.jpg

post-6012-0-32987700-1315054439.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old hardtail that I made into a new toy... thanks to inspiration from my friend j_a_n

(with a before pic of the bike)

too much of nice. well done and welcome back to the fun world of 1 gear.

too much of nice. well done and welcome back to the fun world of 1 gear.

Thanks!

Took it out yesterday, didn't do anything hectic at all, just a mild 20km...but HAD SO MUCH FUN!clap.gif

I felt like a kid again, riding around , jumping pavements, ramping driveway edges... it was awesome!

Respect to you ous who ride these bikes. In a race yesterday ( was flying at the time) I snapped my rear derailer cable and front ring stuck so effectively rode as a fix for nearly 20 k of cracker singlle track. Just couldn't ride properly and got off countless times,

What effective gear do you set them as? :huh:

Respect to you ous who ride these bikes. In a race yesterday ( was flying at the time) I snapped my rear derailer cable and front ring stuck so effectively rode as a fix for nearly 20 k of cracker singlle track. Just couldn't ride properly and got off countless times,

I ride 38 x 20T. If you use the middle chainring on your triple crank and rear cog number 4 or 5....that's about the gear I use...get rid of that pesky derailleur and cable and shifters and stuff.....join us!

What effective gear do you set them as?

I think they recommend 32x16 for 26 inch wheels and 32x18 for 29ers. This is if you start out with SS.

So yesterday I bought myself an old vintage SS with rigid fork, 1:1 gear ratio, space for the beers up front... and I had the full approval of the wifepost-1372-0-23317100-1315247782.jpg

Ha ha... would that be the same ride up the Umko mountains that I crazily did the full way Single speed tongue.gif

A 32 x 18 on a 29er was definitley not my wisest choice (forced due to lack of options / set up limits!) for the Umkomaas valley and the 5km climb out! huh.gif

Edited by Cycho

Nice ride L.T.G.!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Can't quite make out what it says on the down toob… :unsure:

Thanks ....

it's the same as my avatar.

it's an ambiagram of my late brother's name.

Edited by L.T.G

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after going through many incarnations of SS options I had binned the idea of the Inbred (I must add that the new SA On-One agent gives excellent service) in favour of trying my hand at a circus bike SS build ...

So here she is. The pedals and cranks need to be replaced, a little work is to be done on the brake hoses and new tyres.

• 2010 Kona Kahun 29'er frame
  • 2010 Bontranger Rhythm Elite wheelset
  • Manitou Tower (100mm) fork

(Pardon the poor pics taken on my cell at night)

post-5403-0-95350200-1316433590.jpg

post-5403-0-31612600-1316433593.jpg

post-5403-0-26285700-1316433620.jpg

Very nice Hairy one! Did you buy the Tower from an oke in SSW? Was eyeing his fork.

More importantly...how does she ride?

Ok .. .so first ride in on the Kona and she really is a lovely ride, there is still some setup I need to get right on the bike, but that will come with time in the saddle.

The fork is from the guy on the HUB who was selling it ... the black with red pearlized finish actually works rather well with the Kona's frame.

See below updated pics

post-5403-0-27034000-1316531054.jpg

post-5403-0-34195700-1316531059.jpg

• 2 weeks later...