Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

I had a 32x16 on my 26" SS a while back and this felt just right. (I was also a little fitter then)

Now on the 29'er SS I had a 32x16 and it is great for flat / rolling hills, but you know it will hurt if there is any decent gradient. Currently have a 32x18 and this is ok ... I say ok for now until my fitness picks up then it should be good. Only problem though is that on the flat commutes you spin out rather quickly .... but then again at least this assists with fitness!

Hi Hairy

Roughly, at what speeds do you spin out on the 29er 32x18?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hairy

Roughly, at what speeds do you spin out on the 29er 32x18?

I asked the guy riding next to me and he said we were doing anything between 33-40km per hour on the flat .... 40km I think was a when my legs were going at a blur and my heart wanted to explode.

I asked the guy riding next to me and he said we were doing anything between 33-40km per hour on the flat .... 40km I think was a when my legs were going at a blur and my heart wanted to explode.

Sound GOOD, except for those irregular palpitations...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Sound GOOD, except for those irregular palpitations...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Eldron's guide to 29er SS gearing:

32x14/15 for commuting to work on (mainly) tar roads.

32x16 for "flat and fast" mtb races.

32x17 for rolling hills.

32x18 for medium climbs.

32x19 for Clarens or Sabie style racing.

32x20 for Lesotho.

32x17 for rolling hills.

32x18 for medium climbs.

32x20 for Lesotho.

THX Eldron

That helps a lot...

This will be a new experience for me.

Tried to leave my 20x in one gear, but ratios too FAR out to imagine what real SS is like.

I cannot wait for my bike to be done, should be around month end. :clap:

32x17 for rolling hills.

32x18 for medium climbs.

32x20 for Lesotho.

I am going to try out the 14/15 T options for my commute ... then the 19 or 20T for Table Mountain.

Only problem is I need to do a long Tar stretch before getting to the mountain!

THX Eldron

That helps a lot...

This will be a new experience for me.

Tried to leave my 20x in one gear, but ratios too FAR out to imagine what real SS is like.

I cannot wait for my bike to be done, should be around month end. :clap:

No worries! Just shift a tooth up or down depending on your strength...

You're gonna love it - the first time I rode my SS I giggled most of the way - the pure stupidity of giving up gears turns you into an instant 5 year old.

The simplicity is also nice - there's a certain confidence that comes with not having any choice! The rigid fork also improves your skills dramatically - your "reading" of terrain improves too - get a rock wrong on a suspended fork and its an "OOF" - get it wrong on an SS and it's an OFF :lol:

Enjoy!

I am going to try out the 14/15 T options for my commute ... then the 19 or 20T for Table Mountain.

Only problem is I need to do a long Tar stretch before getting to the mountain!

And therein lies the irony of SSing - there isn't a "best" gear - there is only a "least worst" gear :D

It's sublimely ridiculous.

Anyone riding Eselfontein SS this year? Was toying with chucking on the 32 x 20 to save the legs on the long route.

i Seldom ride in anything other than 32:16 on both my 26" and 29er. look i'm still new to the sport and havent clocked up the miles and saddle time of the like of Eldron, Dangle and the big boys. but havent struggled to much. broke my 8speed chain at the nissan teak race, but since then i have got a BMX halflink chain and could tow my hilux out the mud with it so havent had a problem since. also a decent Chainring and you can crank as much power as you want through your drive train no worries. provided its not to long i got the theory if i can walk it i'm gonna try ride it. often ending in me being "OWNED" but not cause of my bike or the setup. i reckon 32:16 is a great starting point. from there its trail and error.

And therein lies the irony of SSing - there isn't a "best" gear - there is only a "least worst" gear :D

It's sublimely ridiculous.

OK that describes it more accurately than 'always the wrong' gear! I will shamelessly be stealing that Eldron :thumbup:

So, after months of procrastination and out of stocks from a certain online ordering company, I have finally converted a somewhat unused 26" hard tail to single speed.

Got a 32/18 currently setup, but will probably go for a 32/16 once I'm into the swing of things.

Was hoping to take it for a spin at Thaba Trails, but sanity prevailed and I took the dual-sus out - rode 32/17 for the first (easy) section of of the green route until the blue (Richard) section and the convenience of having easier gears took over.

Anyway, the bike needs a wash and lube (the chain) and it will be good to go. the Cycle Challenge next month will the first race that I use it, albeit a road race.

post-1372-0-30886600-1318787301.jpgpost-1372-0-75280400-1318787359.jpg

post-1372-0-45807300-1318787331.jpgpost-1372-0-56040300-1318787396.jpg

post-1372-0-94521700-1318787420.jpgpost-1372-0-48805600-1318787463.jpg

Looks really cool GM24 :thumbup: - Must meet you for a spin round Rietvlei on the SS sometime!

Definitely

I have a matching gold Fire Eye headset idling about .... whistling.gif

I'll think about it :unsure: