Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

Thanks Beesrib. I enjoyed building it. It is a nice 9.8 Kg's, so a good ride as well. :w00t:

Awesome man enjoy the ride.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Non drive side.

Could a machine shop not machine the hole slightly larger and the press in a new piece with the correct hole size

Recently finished my SS project.....actually not finished still need pedal......loved building it from all sorts of sources . The guys at Finish line were really helpfull!

Could a machine shop not machine the hole slightly larger and the press in a new piece with the correct hole size

It's a square taper crank. Nothing much can be done.

I managed to finish my first SS build. Most of it were sourced from fellow hubbers. I got the frame, seatpost and seat from Muviman. The brakes are from kvdp. The leather grips are from BBN. Half link chain, chain tensioner, fork, cogs and spacers from Kiwi's shop, Rapide. Handelbar, stem and pedals from Bicicletta. Wheels from Family cycles in Centurion. Crankset from Torx in Centurion.

LOTS of help received from rouxie and jcmeyerSS.

I already did about 150 km of nice dirt with it. Had some chain slip for the first 50km, but it settled after that and from there it was just one huge pleasure. We did lots of mud and it was a liberation not to worry about gearshifts and huge maintenance afterwards. :w00t:

post-5681-0-82458700-1387611756_thumb.jpg

post-5681-0-66491300-1387611718_thumb.jpg

post-5681-0-48529700-1387611779_thumb.jpg

post-5681-0-88163200-1387611801_thumb.jpg

post-5681-0-07049100-1387611825_thumb.jpg

post-5681-0-69214600-1387611846_thumb.jpg

Nice ride :D

Arb Q: Did you need the tensioner running a half link chain? Thought you could get the right chain length if you go half link? Pardon my roadie geared brain.

Nice ride :D

Arb Q: Did you need the tensioner running a half link chain? Thought you could get the right chain length if you go half link? Pardon my roadie geared brain.

I guess I can do away with the tensioner, but I do change between a 16 and 17 teeth at the back and with the tensioner there is no need to adjust the chain length. Eventually the chain will also stretch and the tensioner will take care of that as well. I know the look is not as clean as I would have preferred, but it does make my life easier while I am still trying out gear ratios.

I guess I can do away with the tensioner, but I do change between a 16 and 17 teeth at the back and with the tensioner there is no need to adjust the chain length. Eventually the chain will also stretch and the tensioner will take care of that as well. I know the look is not as clean as I would have preferred, but it does make my life easier while I am still trying out gear ratios.

Switching makes sence, don't want to have to carry/keep 2-3 different chains.

This is my everyday commute. First SS build, was fortunate enough to make the parts myself and only struggled aligning the chain up straight. Only thing I still desperately need are some nice 2'' wide 26'' road tires and a rigid fork. Anyone know where I can get them? And I'm shopping around for a black saddle.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/BertieR27/20140104_074459.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/BertieR27/20140104_074535.jpg

Oh and yes I did remove the chain guard. :P

Edited by Toi

It may sound crazy (ok it does) but I finally have enough stretched chain so that I no longer need a tensioner. Sure I have a bit of new chain and a bit of old but they are all 9 speed and the same make so I am hoping I will never have to use the tensioner again. There is a little bit of noise when the chain goes round the front ring but not enough to piss me off (yet). I also use Wooltooth blades so I am thinking the wear on the front blade will be no quicker than normal. It looks so much better without the tesioner. Does anyone else us this method? If so how is it workign for you?

If you run a chain that is stretched past 1% you'll destroy the chainring and cog quite quickly.