Saddle bag in races

besso

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, i'll add saddle bag to my list of no no's together with no hydration pack.

Both your beloved hydration pack and saddlebags are forbidden. Real racers would know ;-)

Here are my local criterium rules:

It is forbidden to take part with:

o Backpacks, saddlebags, pumps en reserve materials

o TT bars.

o Wheels with less than 16 spokes

o detachable mudguards, lights

Het is renners en rensters verboden om deel te nemen met:

o Rugzakjes, fietstasjes, fietspompen en reservematerialen e.d

o Opzetsturen, Triathlonsturen en tijdritsturen.

o Wielen met minder dan 16 spaken

o Klikspatborden en verlichting

Both your beloved hydration pack and saddlebags are forbidden. Real racers would know ;-)

Here are my local criterium rules:

It is forbidden to take part with:

o Backpacks, saddlebags, pumps en reserve materials

o TT bars.

o Wheels with less than 16 spokes

o detachable mudguards, lights

Het is renners en rensters verboden om deel te nemen met:

o Rugzakjes, fietstasjes, fietspompen en reservematerialen e.d

o Opzetsturen, Triathlonsturen en tijdritsturen.

o Wielen met minder dan 16 spaken

o Klikspatborden en verlichting

That i can understand a criterium is over a shorter circuit, when i ride the Nothgate Dome i remove pump and saddle bag. For elite riders in a road race most have team cars to assist, i dont have that luxury my cycle pockets have gels, bananas, sweets phone, ID card, etc and i dont have place for tubes, bombs and small tool kit

Please just tell me what is the issue with this ??

I have no issue with bar ends on risers...helluva comfy on things like the cruise, etc...

The issue I would say is that someone , somewhere got told (probably by someone he idolises) that bar ends on a riser are for kids/non pro's/amatuers....that person took it personally and now makes it his lifelong ambition to make this into some kind of unsaid rule/law by sniggering at anyone who wants to or is thinking of doing it, regardless of the fact that they will have more hand postions to use and may in fact ride more....said person will then tell you to get a flat bar if you want bar ends...Lord knows why flat bars qualify for bar ends and not risers....I suspect if the Pro's don't do it then nobody should be doing it...blah blah...!

Whoohoo it's Fri!

I need my saddlebag desperately - where else do I stash my Stuyvesants for after the race? (OK, sometimes during the race too.)

It is just plain selfish not to have all the tools and tubes etc you need to look after yourself. I have seen many guys / girls walking back or on with a flat wheel, broken chain, broken jockey, etc etc and fixed punctures for too many youngsters and females who don't carry spares and don't know how to do it - don't even mention chain or single speed conversions etc.

Sure you don't need it in a Crit. (distance too short back to base and once you have a breakdown in a crit you are out of the race - I bit like indoor stuff -(not that I do crits.)

I recon one must carry, 2 tubes (road bike),pump, tyre levers, gator, money, quick-stick patch, gold link, tool-set with chain breaker and spoke spanner, cell phone, a form of ID (ice info), food/energy bar - Optional for ease and speed also 2 bombs+dispenser.

All this crap in a jersey pocket is too uncomfortable - so saddlebag it is !

Yup nothing is as beautiful as a 'clean -bike' i.e. with no extras - but, on a breakdown 100km from home I ain't gonna call my mommy - gotta be self sufficient even if you think I look like a dork - too old to worry about colour coordinated outfits and opinions.

I recon one must carry, 2 tubes (road bike),pump, tyre levers, gator, money, quick-stick patch, gold link, tool-set with chain breaker and spoke spanner, cell phone, a form of ID (ice info), food/energy bar - Optional for ease and speed also 2 bombs+dispenser.

With all this stuff you should rather look at a saddle suitcase :D

For us non MTB'rs what are bar ends on risers? Maybe give us a picture so us mere mortals may understand

What is a "non MTB'r". Maybe give us a picture so us educated folks may understand.