Saddle bag in races

besso

Its easier to wait for your support vehicle...to switch the wheel, and then let the vehicle tow you back to the group.

for us hairy legged, baggy short clothed, camelback wearing, puncture repairing, non fashionable bearded MTB'ers with saddle bags, bar ends and riser bars, the above reads as follows:

"easier to wait for the support vehicle... blah blah blah GHEY, blah blah SOFT blah blah WHITE PANT blah blah"

okay, I will also admit - I'm not an A-group rider, so I guess it might be different if you're really competing and if you actually have a support vehicle - don't know what that feels like though

Edited by rudi-h

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Camelbak, mudguard, hi-risers, bar ends, carry a shitload of spares and have completed two Sani's, 3 Sabi's. one Epic, Berg and Bush, KKK a ridiculaous amount of other racers and despite this very un-cool load of tit bits on my bike my kids still think I'm "cool".

I have a Camelbak, mudguard, hi-risers, bar ends, carry a shitload of spares and have completed two Sani's, 3 Sabi's. one Epic, Berg and Bush, KKK a ridiculaous amount of other racers and despite this very un-cool load of tit bits on my bike my kids still think I'm "cool".

Is that Norman or Trevor?

I am so confused, and do not know whether to remove my saddle bag, or leave it on for tomorrows race in Durbanville! Will have to flip a coin on this one. If it is tails, and I go bare back, I wonder if any of the anti-saddle-bag-hubbers would help me out, should I need any logistical support? .......did'nt think so!

I ride with a saddle bag in my back pouch. Got 2 tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO² canisters (bombs) and attachment, drivers (for identification), money for incase. Have cellphone in separate ziploc bag in another pouch. Pump used to be fixed in velcro of saddle bag but I got a new one so it's fixed to the seat post down tube.

Saddle bag just keeps everything together.

I used a hydration pouch for the 2010 Argus (first long distance ride ever) but now I do 130Km on 2 botles so I am better now :P

Appears more to be a cool look thing then, how much quicker will your time be if you dont have a saddle bag?

Thats all that counts :clap: Nice one, some good rides under your belt

I have no issue with bar ends on risers...helluva comfy on things like the cruise, etc...

The issue I would say is that someone , somewhere got told (probably by someone he idolises) that bar ends on a riser are for kids/non pro's/amatuers....that person took it personally and now makes it his lifelong ambition to make this into some kind of unsaid rule/law by sniggering at anyone who wants to or is thinking of doing it, regardless of the fact that they will have more hand postions to use and may in fact ride more....said person will then tell you to get a flat bar if you want bar ends...Lord knows why flat bars qualify for bar ends and not risers....I suspect if the Pro's don't do it then nobody should be doing it...blah blah...!

Whoohoo it's Fri!

Well i have bar ends on my carbon risers.

Don't really care what anyone thinks as long as i'm comfortable.

It's the weekeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend...... Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need my saddlebag desperately - where else do I stash my Stuyvesants for after the race? (OK, sometimes during the race too.)

Now that I put in my shirt pocket, need to be able to reach it while riding :lol:

All the rest goes in the saddle bag!

Saddle bags are cool. It indicates independance :D

I would say it indicates intellegence. only dumb@sses would hike a bike the last 25km home down a mountain.

I need my saddlebag desperately - where else do I stash my Stuyvesants for after the race? (OK, sometimes during the race too.)

Yeah those 10 packs fit perfectly and is half the weight :)

You guys have got it all wrong. My wife is stronger and I let her carry extra stuff for me. All I carry are my bottles and GU!! :drool:

Saddle bags aint cool for Mountain Goaters - we use Camelbaks and big ones too

I carry the following in my Camelbak:

* Space blanket

* Latex gloves

* Lube

* Chain brreaker + chain pieces

* Detol & Plasters

* Headache pills & anithistamines

* Spare tubs

* Valve core remover & spare valve cores

* Shifting spanner

* Alan keys

* Leatherman

* Leatherman micro

* Spare studs & stud key for shoes

* Hi Viz Rain jacket

* Pump

* 3L water

* AJ Muti powder for 800ml mix (water bottle)

* Samsung B2100 Cell Phone (waterproof phone)

* Medical Aid Card

* Wallet

* Car & House keys

* Xylitol sachets

* Chocolate bar

Oh, and that is just my normal daily commute or training ride on tar

I sometimes will add my Netbook too :), paid of jeans, shoes, shirt

On training rides in the mountains where I'm alone I also toss in a full first aid kit we keep in the car.

As you can see from the above, a saddle bag is just not big enough and that is why it ain't cool. Thinking of upgrading to dual pannier bags ;)

Edited by cbrunsdon

ROAD STYLE - Saddle bags are for postal delivery not racing people! Even if we train its a chopped bottle in your spare cage with all your goodies. O yes only one bottle, take cash with to refill it.

Appears more to be a cool look thing then, how much quicker will your time be if you dont have a saddle bag?

Not just a cool look thing, an aerodynamic thing! The saddle bag creates drag and will slow you down. Unnecessary waste of energy <_<

[Vets].... They don't even fit lights to them for early morning rides.

You know them all? (Your moniker is quite appopriate.)