Saddle bag in races

besso

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just plain selfish not to have all the tools and tubes etc you need to look after yourself. I have seen many guys / girls walking back or on with a flat wheel, broken chain, broken jockey, etc etc and fixed punctures for too many youngsters and females who don't carry spares and don't know how to do it - don't even mention chain or single speed conversions etc.

Sure you don't need it in a Crit. (distance too short back to base and once you have a breakdown in a crit you are out of the race - I bit like indoor stuff -(not that I do crits.)

I recon one must carry, 2 tubes (road bike),pump, tyre levers, gator, money, quick-stick patch, gold link, tool-set with chain breaker and spoke spanner, cell phone, a form of ID (ice info), food/energy bar - Optional for ease and speed also 2 bombs+dispenser.

All this crap in a jersey pocket is too uncomfortable - so saddlebag it is !

Yup nothing is as beautiful as a 'clean -bike' i.e. with no extras - but, on a breakdown 100km from home I ain't gonna call my mommy - gotta be self sufficient even if you think I look like a dork - too old to worry about colour coordinated outfits and opinions.

+1 +1 +1 + on all the above!!

I for one cannot give a rat's ass about what someone else thinks of my outfit / bike /shades/ helmet/ bar ends /saddle bag...

I'm here to whip your ass - not to out-fashion you!!

Probably picked up, better to get a dnf than a bad time stuffs up your seeding and makes it more difficult to get re-seeded in the group in races to come.

Isn't you seeding based on your "best" think it was 5 races for the year? If so, then if you racing often, the slower time wouldn't matter?

I am so confused, and do not know whether to remove my saddle bag, or leave it on for tomorrows race in Durbanville! Will have to flip a coin on this one. If it is tails, and I go bare back, I wonder if any of the anti-saddle-bag-hubbers would help me out, should I need any logistical support? .......did'nt think so!

It is just plain selfish not to have all the tools and tubes etc you need to look after yourself. I have seen many guys / girls walking back or on with a flat wheel, broken chain, broken jockey, etc etc and fixed punctures for too many youngsters and females who don't carry spares and don't know how to do it - don't even mention chain or single speed conversions etc.

Sure you don't need it in a Crit. (distance too short back to base and once you have a breakdown in a crit you are out of the race - I bit like indoor stuff -(not that I do crits.)

I recon one must carry, 2 tubes (road bike),pump, tyre levers, gator, money, quick-stick patch, gold link, tool-set with chain breaker and spoke spanner, cell phone, a form of ID (ice info), food/energy bar - Optional for ease and speed also 2 bombs+dispenser.

All this crap in a jersey pocket is too uncomfortable - so saddlebag it is !

Yup nothing is as beautiful as a 'clean -bike' i.e. with no extras - but, on a breakdown 100km from home I ain't gonna call my mommy - gotta be self sufficient even if you think I look like a dork - too old to worry about colour coordinated outfits and opinions.

I carry all the crap for training rides, little extra weight never killed anybody!

As for race day, i taper down to 1 tube, 1 bomb/pump combo, self adhesive patches. If i puncture more than once, my goal time is out the window badly, so it's patch and ride back enjoying the scenery & girls :rolleyes:

Its easier to wait for your support vehicle...to switch the wheel, and then let the vehicle tow you back to the group.

Its easier to wait for your support vehicle...to switch the wheel, and then let the vehicle tow you back to the group.

"Tow you back to the group"..... Ai, ai, ai......

I have seen that a few times...

I have seen that a few times... :D

I have seen that a few times...

I have seen that a few times... :D

Oh, I believe you! Not only is it cheating, it's also illegal according to the road safety act. Rule 3 applies:

311. Ridingon pedal cycles

(1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on apublic road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedalcycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a publicroad shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedalcycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake anothervehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedalcycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a publicroad shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a publicroad shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his orher view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over themovements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a publicroad shall do so with at least one hand on the handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road hasbeen set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride apedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a publicroad or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedalcycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle arein contact with the surface of the road at all times.

No bar ends on bicycles period, get the right grips and you don't need bar ends.

I am sorry, but that is a hillariously daft statement :D

Oh, I believe you! Not only is it cheating, it's also illegal according to the road safety act. Rule 3 applies:

There's a section somewhere that says most of these things don't apply when you're participating in an officially sanctioned race.