Bicycling Mag - Pull your socks up!

Eldron

I've never been a big fan of Bicycling Mag - mostly because of their "all bling no content" style and poor localising of blatantly american articles but this month they hit a new low...reprinting old articles word for word....

I was cleaning out some old mags and was having one last read before turfing them when I had a sense of ye olde de ja vouz. I picked up my current mag and there was the same article - word for word.

Check it out below.

On the left: Aug/Sept 2009

On the right: November 2010

P!ss poor showing fellows...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it yesterday. Everytime i buy it, i ask myself why because it really is rubbish. Its only good for bling, which in this issue is lacking too.

Magazine is really going downhill. :blink:

Also thought they were printing similar/same articles.

The front cover is what makes me laugh.

`GET FAST NOW`

`RIDE LIKE A PRO`

Whatever!!!!!!

These statements on the cover are also repeated from issue to issue!

Stayed over in Oaklane over the weekend and read some older issues. Were actually much better and a lot thicker! (talking about 2000-2008)

Who's goona let them know that we know......... :lol:

Done:

Mike,

Reprinting articles word for word? C'mon - it's bad enough that you do hack jobs on American articles and have an advertising to info ratio of more than 50% but reprinting articles word for word with a quick banner editing?

Shocking stuff:

Aug/Sept 2009 and November 2010....

Can I have 6% of my R30 back please?

I'd rate you a 3 out of 10. Try harder.

Ciao

Darryl.

Should pass this info on to Discovery who subsidise a large part of the subscription on Vitality. They may want to relook at who they support.

Done:

Mike,

Reprinting articles word for word? C'mon - it's bad enough that you do hack jobs on American articles and have an advertising to info ratio of more than 50% but reprinting articles word for word with a quick banner editing?

Shocking stuff:

Aug/Sept 2009 and November 2010....

Can I have 6% of my R30 back please?

I'd rate you a 3 out of 10. Try harder.

Ciao

Darryl.

Awesome! Please let us know if they reply to your mail. This just made my decision to not renew my subscription a lot easier.

To do that in the space of 14 months is just plain shocking. Good detective work there.

I doubt they even have a LAL* plan either. They have an online presence, wonder if they have the balls to reply to this?

I haven't subscribed for a while, the only interesting content they had moved into the online press, the rest was generic garble from the main title (particularly remember one story about an ex baseball/gridiron player who took up cycling to stay trim - zero zero relevance to our market).

*Life After Lance

Awesome! Please let us know if they reply to your mail. This just made my decision to not renew my subscription a lot easier.

I haven't renewed my Golf Digest subscription for three years, yet I still receive my copy every month. Seems there's too much "big picture" and not enough attention to detail going on at Touchline Media. Not that I'm complaining - just wish they'd swop my Golf Digest for Bicycling. :)

Oops - the picture....

Check the next page in the latest issue - DIY Repair Stand - also in another issue about a year ago. Ask for a bigger discount! 2 Articles repeated in the same issue.

Then the article about Cycling for change (not dissing the cause or the initiative at all here) but is it really necessary to ask 8 Ceo's, covering 5 and a half pages, the same questions?

Continue to the "Mission 94.7" article where the are again asking 5 people the exact same questions? Covering 8 pages

Do you see the pattern here? Not a lot of work required form the reporter using one set of questions for everyone he interviews!

Ok, they are all different people with different answers, but it becomes boring reading the same stuff no matter who is answering them