BMW Service costs!

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can afford the toy you can afford the service. Cars of today are designed to run until the maintenance plan ends. BMW's at 100 000 need brakes and a few other costly items. Key words - Maintenance plan.

If you can afford the toy you can afford the service. Cars of today are designed to run until the maintenance plan ends. BMW's at 100 000 need brakes and a few other costly items. Key words - Maintenance plan.

Its not a new one.

Bought a 2004 BMW 318i.

First second hand car ive ever owned. Only bought BMW cos i can find out everything about the car before i buy - i am not very mechanical minded.

I could understand those costs for a top of the range model, but that service cost me 10% of the cars value!

My wifes little mazda2 is worth more!

Edited by Wayne_Potgieter2

WTF?!?!?!?!?

BMW?!?!?!?!? ;)

But no, that is excessive. The audi's same stuff the other day was not that amount at all... Those dealerships are part of Imperial groups etc. They must charge 480 / 500 per hour, right ? Take it to a respectable mechanic :unsure: and still get the oem parts that is important.

Edited by Jackes

If that is what it cost to replace the parts that make the car stop I don't want to know what a part will cost that makes the car go. :D

Get the brakes looked at/done at a Supaquik, a fraction of the price. They can also organise skimming of discs if they need it. If the discs are warn below limits, then its either original parts or compatibles, they can be sourced elsewhere and will be a lot cheaper. I go to the one in Norwood, Jhb got good service from them.

Dealers ALWAYS try rip you off for new brake pads during a service.

Edited by kosmonooit

LOL @ mojoman. although that is so true. rule on BMW, neve ever buy a second hand one. If you can't afford it new, don't buy it. Because maintenance costs after maintenance /service plans are sky high.

Ha! I had a renault clio 3 diesel. 60000km service = R5282. Standard cambelt replacement. Ave service cost R2000. That 1 service threw all my fancy sums out the window. I'd have been able to buy a brand new petrol polo and it'd have still been R10000 cheaper all in all, and I'd get more for it when I eventully sold it. I've since moved to a golf 5 and the services are WAY cheaper (golf = 2x value of clio). And they're covered under a maintenance plan.

But Nooit. Nice cars are nice, but what is the point in paying so much for something that just wastes away. Yes they allow yo to get to work where you make money so you spend money to make money vibe but heck, I'm planning on keeping the golf till the end of next year and then I'm buying a cheaper but safe car. like a polo. But bmw/merc/fancy audi/fancy vw? mmmmm.... <_< :thumbdown:

BMW = Break My Wallet!

Yep.

But i just think they are taking the pi$$.

The car is out of maintenance plan, and i can only assume that the guys that are out of plan, subsidise the repairs for the guys that are in the plan.

I think i need to trade it in for a new out the box one.

That has 100 000km plan.

Yeah, its an issue, but if its out of maintainance plan then I would take it to a good OEM workshop like Bosch.

A lot of the major service parts on BMW, AUDI, etc are Bosch products anyway, all you are really doing is cutting out the middleman, and most all the manufacturers here use ATE brake parts, again Bosch will fit ATE or Ferodo at a fraction of the price and in essence its the exact same product.

Car Dealers just &^%% me off. My wife took her Peugeot 207 for its 30000km service 3 weeks ago. They wanted to charge her R5500.

They said the battery is flat (yeah whatever) and the wiper blades needs replacement.

These @SSholes see a female comming and rub there hands together.

I told them i will replace the battery the day the car doesn't wanna start and will replace the wipers (R800) when they crack and break and dont work anymore.

Think its tiem for Carte Blanche to start knocking on doors again.

Car Dealers just &^%% me off. My wife took her Peugeot 207 for its 30000km service 3 weeks ago. They wanted to charge her R5500.

They said the battery is flat (yeah whatever) and the wiper blades needs replacement.

These @SSholes see a female comming and rub there hands together.

I told them i will replace the battery the day the car doesn't wanna start and will replace the wipers (R800) when they crack and break and dont work anymore.

Think its tiem for Carte Blanche to start knocking on doors again.

Carte Blanche just busted Bosch Sevice guys in Durban for ripping off people and doing unnessasary work, and telling them they need stuff done when they dont.

Its not a new one.

Bought a 2004 BMW 318i.

First second hand car ive ever owned. Only bought BMW cos i can find out everything about the car before i buy - i am not very mechanical minded.

I could understand those costs for a top of the range model, but that service cost me 10% of the cars value!

My wifes little mazda2 is worth more!

Really nice car, congrats with your purchase. Just a word of advice re the E46 models. Their cooling systems are their downfall. I purchased a 2nd hand one and 6 months after consistantly having water loss I found out that my cylinder head had blown and that was after I spent R10K at BMW on a new header tank, pipes and also a brake servo pump (runs off the exhaust cam). Traded it in on a brand new Cooper S and I will say, maintenance plan is the way to go. No more worries about unexpected costs, which can cripple a person.

That being said, perhaps I got a dud car and perhaps your car will run like a dream. Enjoy your new car :D