Swift01

Definition of the words "Brand New"  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Definition of the words "Brand New" when you buy something on the Hub

• Does it mean Brand New, never been used still in the box
    • Does it mean Brand New, came off a brand new bike BUT never been used
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 5km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 100km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it scratched it, worn the one part out but it's ok to sell it as Brand New?

pm the oke, sure his reputation is worth more than said amount, or strike a deal, get further discount. If he doesn't respond, well then name and shame. I know its been said before but a "seller rating" system will go a long way on this forum

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swift if you can find a slick for a mtb in my workshop you can have it with pleasure . And I can gaurantee you that it will be brand new . :D

But in most industries something has lost the status as brand new the moment it leaves the floor/shop . I think the term "as good as new" should be under the spotlight !

I am specifically keeping the persons name out of the situation as I have phoned him/she once and recently sent a PM and waiting for a response. Depending on the response is how I will react. In the mean time it's worth finding out what people on the hub think the words Brand New mean. May be I have the wrong opinion on the words.

Guess the GF won't be getting her upgrades soon :-(

dirt-rider I should hope that any slick in your garage is still brand new :-)

Very Valid point but if he had used the terms "as good as new" I would no doubt have never even made a bid for the parts. I was sold the parts under the "Brand New, Taken off a Brand New bike". I even asked several questions when talking to the person on the phone and I was assured they were taken off a "Brand New" bike. The one part has to be thrown away which means I have to spend R400 in order to be able to use the parts. I have bought lots of parts taken off new bikes and they are as good as "Brand New"

Money is not really the problem, but the GF wasb looking for New parts not 2nd hand. The Hub as far as I know works on a "Honest Policy" which is how I work when selling on the Hub.

On the Up side My own bike is styling after buying quite a few "Brand New" parts recently so at least I can hit the trails while the GF sits by the car due to lack of parts ready to hand me an ICE COLD beer as I finish :clap:

Hi,

No I didn't buy anything from Dirt_rider, I was just commenting on his thoughts. :thumbup:

I did however buy something from a hubber that is definately not brand new in my mind and one part I will have to throw out. (Quite an importtant part might I add that I would have to replace at a fair cost). Hence the reason for the poll. :thumbdown:

I am interested to see what people think the words mean.

Okay, sorry dirt-rider, I jumped to conclusions there. BUT I am sorry you have had an issue Swift. It's sad that you cannot take someone at their word nowadays.

brand new can only be the first two poll options: As I see it, either it's brand new, or it's used. end of story really. Ppl just need to suck it up and be honest. but buyers should push for a return option should it not live up to seller's claims. shouldn't be required if ppl took proper photos. Honestly, all these crap excuses about it being a mobile phone cam etc: give the object enough light, even a mobile phone will take a more than sufficient photo.

I have spoken to the person with not too much luck and also sent a mail to him with some new options. I will wait and see what they say. You have to always give a person a chance to explain or retify the problem before taking it further.

The person I feel very sorry for is the GF. She was so excited about the "New" parts, and it's not often one can get the GF excited about bike parts.... If they were really "Brand New" I may have gotten the bonus package :P

Lets see some photo's of what you bought and then decide

If i advertise as "brand new" then it means in it's box or off a new bike."Like new" has under 100km.

For me, brand new means the exact same condition as if I got it from the LBS or CRC etc.

Brand new = never used, perfect condition, full warranty from the date I purchase it.

The term is rather misused on the Hub, so I find it's always best to ask specific questions about the age and condition of the product.

Ok finally got a reply......

I was sold: Brand New 2010 Magura Louise Hydraulic Disc Brakes for sale, front and rear, with 160mm rotors.

The One rotor is shot, the one caliper was still dirty, scratched and the one lever is scratched. Note the groove on the one rotor nearly half a mm deep.

His replys to me is

I originally wanted 2k for the brakes and sold them for 1300, so just accept that you got a good deal and get over yourself....

Is it a good deal when you are nearly R400 for a new Rotor? They are definately not new, the pads show they have been used, the question is how much did he hse them.

So what shall I do...... mmmmmmmm Name and shame him on the hub?

Do you have to buy Magura discs? You can get Aligator/Rav-X (same thing) for about R120.

But I agree, that is not brand new, new, good as new or hardly used. False advertising if you ask me.

Edited by Mampara

Brand new - with warranty

Brand new

New - taken off bike but never ridden

Like new - under 500km (this one is tricky because it seems a sellers 500km can be up to 5000km)

Well used

If they were really "Brand New" I may have gotten the bonus package :P

and so much for the old saying " it's the thought that counts" <_<

It's not the point one could buy other discs but his post said with rotors and showed magura rotors and they were brand new. I would never have bid for 2nd hand parts because that's not what I was looking for. Now I must fork out more money which makes the deal a bad deal