Futurelife Cereal

Hi Hubbers,

I am sure a few of you out there have tried the relatively new cereal called Futurelife. Being very health conscious I checked out the ingredients and noticed that the main protein source is soy protein. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about soy protein and I was wondering if there are any nutritionists or dieticians out there that could elaborate on the negative aspects of soy protein and advise if Futurelife is even a healthy food?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

Hi Hubbers,

I am sure a few of you out there have tried the relatively new cereal called Futurelife. Being very health conscious I checked out the ingredients and noticed that the main protein source is soy protein. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about soy protein and I was wondering if there are any nutritionists or dieticians out there that could elaborate on the negative aspects of soy protein and advise if Futurelife is even a healthy food?

The Moducare they add are good stuff, but you do not have to eat instant porridge to get your Moducare.You can buy the capsules at the pharmacy. The rest tastes way too much like instant mealie porridge, in other words YUK!

I like it. If I eat this for breakfast I'm hungry only an half hour before lunch. If I eat musli and yogurt I'm hungry 2 hours before lunch. Sooo, it works for me.

Got a box a week back. Had it once. Was great. Was only hungry at 19H00 again that night. And breakfast is at 04H50 in the mornings. I just need to remember to buy milk again.

Got a box a week back. Had it once. Was great. Was only hungry at 19H00 again that night. And breakfast is at 04H50 in the mornings.

That sounds wrong...

Anyway,as far as 'cereal' goes,I make my own muesli from scratch, but then I'm an anti Prius greenie... Go figure...

I'll stick to muesli and milk, tastes yummy. Muesli and Bulgarian yoghurt is even better but then it is so yummy I want to eat another portion.

Hi Hubbers,

There are various things that have been said about soya and it would help to know what you are concerned about to give you more information.

IMHO there are a variety of health benefits of soya protein and for this reason i include into a balanced diet (like eating Futurelife cereal) where I eat moderate amounts of animal proteins, plant proteins (i.e. soya), carbs, fruit & veg, moderate amounts of essential fatty acids and small amounts of other fats. (Remember that animal protein comes along with saturated fat and this fat is highly correlated to the progression of cholesterol, so having a balance of animal and plant protein can be beneficial to your health).

Here are some articles you can use to make your own decision:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595159/

http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)03594-8/abstract

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199508033330502

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/jmtsihvo/Hamilton-Reeves_2009_Fertility-and-Sterility.pdf

http://www.soya.be/soy-protein.php

At the end of the day all foods consist of many molecules that can be beneficial for people, but these same molecules can be harmful to people when they are used inappropriately.

• 1 year later...

Future Life is a good base. Personally I can't eat too much of it otherwise it feels like I have concrete sloshing around in my guts.

Usually I have a smallish bowl and drink a bottle of energy drink before the start.

Just eat well for 2 - 3 days before you race. Don't overdo it though. There's no point stuffing yourself all week for a 3 or 4 hour effort on the bike.

Is future life a good cereal to eat before a race? what is?

If the race is ARGUS and Future Life is your pre race meal and you havent used it before stay with your mieliepap in morning or whatever. Changing just before a race to something new and untried for your sensitive body can be catastrophic.

i have been using future life for around a year now, its very hard to digest though, kinda feels like it stays in you for the whole day

Future Life is a good base. Personally I can't eat too much of it otherwise it feels like I have concrete sloshing around in my guts.

Usually I have a smallish bowl and drink a bottle of energy drink before the start.

Just eat well for 2 - 3 days before you race. Don't overdo it though. There's no point stuffing yourself all week for a 3 or 4 hour effort on the bike.

Yip.

Agreed. PPC cement indeed.

Eat well days before a race you really wanna do well in.

Remember, there is no miracle breakfast.

Futurelife is good. Low GI.

Toast with peanut butter also good. Low GI broodjie.

Half a cuppa coffee for zing. Not too much as you might wanna pee pee...