How far do you commute ?

ngala24

So with Sani2c rapidly approaching i need to get some training in, the idea of a commute to work once a week would be a great help. The distance is roughly 45k's each way (90k round trip) from Benoni to Mondeor in the Souff (would still need to plan a safe and enjoyable route), fortunately my parents live next door to work so showering and things should be easy.

My fear is im going to be to tired to do any work during the day :(

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just for you :rolleyes:

FIVE BEST THINGS TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:

5. "They told me at the Blood Bank this might happen."

4. "This is just a 15 minute power nap they raved about in the time

management course you sent me to."

3. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the Tippex thinners open . You probably

got here just in time."

2. "Did you ever notice sound coming out of these keyboards when you put

your ear down real close?

And the NUMBER ONE best thing to say if you get caught sleeping at your

desk..

1. Raise your head slowly and say,

"Amen."

I started doing 25kms each way on a single speed with about 10 kms of climbing. I commute 4 days a week.

After the 3rd day I was shattered but I am used it now and am fine at work. If I take the car I am frustrated by the traffic and in a bad mood by the time I get to work

I started doing 25kms each way on a single speed with about 10 kms of climbing. I commute 4 days a week.

After the 3rd day I was shattered but I am used it now and am fine at work. If I take the car I am frustrated by the traffic and in a bad mood by the time I get to work

Read your gautrain/commute thread, awesome

Wish that was an option for me on a daily bassis, N12 traffic is killing me slowly

Keep your HR under 75% as much as possible.

Use this as a flower counting ride - not a training session

This will help your base.

You will struggle the first few times - be sure you have a good supply of coffee!

After a few weeks, you will be able to do it twice a week.

(obvisouly its easy if you ride it slower)

I ride to work twice a week - 60km in the morning, but I go the short route home (15km).

When the wind is pomping (as it does here in Cape Town), its difficult to summon up the courage to ride home.

Good luck!

So my calculations as follows till i get a bit fitter and shed this excess weight

Depart Benoni at 5h00 arrive in mondeor by 7h30

Depart Mondeor at 16h30 arrive Benoni by 19h00

Wish that was an option for me on a daily bassis, N12 traffic is killing me slowly

There is: GS 800 F...

TNT your bike isnt the one with loud exhaust is it ?

Ahem... :blush:

Edit... Can't be me...I'm a suzuki man... I can probably find out who it is though...

Nog 'n edit, mine does have a loud pipe on though...

Edited by TNT1

also ride the old s/s to work as often as possible (22km each way 3-4 times a week), but as i live in ct i probably only do about 50m of climbing each way, them thar's some serious hills ya got there! what ratio you use? :D

I think 90k per day may just be a bit much and you might find yourself looking through the back of your eyeballs very very quickly.

Also you are taking one hell of a chance riding those roads in peak hour traffic - another way to be looking through the back of your eyeballs in a hurry.

Rather train in th early mornings with the BP Garage road bunch on North Rand Road and drive to work in your car like a normal person in the interests of self preservation.

So my calculations as follows till i get a bit fitter and shed this excess weight

Depart Benoni at 5h00 arrive in mondeor by 7h30

Depart Mondeor at 16h30 arrive Benoni by 19h00

Are you going to use your 29er?

I think 90k per day may just be a bit much and you might find yourself looking through the back of your eyeballs very very quickly.

Also you are taking one hell of a chance riding those roads in peak hour traffic - another way to be looking through the back of your eyeballs in a hurry.

Rather train in th early mornings with the BP Garage road bunch on North Rand Road and drive to work in your car like a normal person in the interests of self preservation.

Dont have a road bike :(

Commute will be done on my 29er so lots of pavement hoping and riding ?

Do you guys have shower at work?? That is whats been preventing me from commuting on the bike, even though I live just 4km from work.