How far do you commute ?

ngala24

When I still lived in Jhb, I commuted from Linden to Woodmead, was about 21km one way. We had showers and lockers at work, so Mondays and Fridays were my heavy backpack days where I had to take clothes with me.

I miss that awesome feeling you get as you go sit behind your desk with a coffee just after your commute (and shower of course).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I still lived in Jhb, I commuted from Linden to Woodmead, was about 21km one way. We had showers and lockers at work, so Mondays and Fridays were my heavy backpack days where I had to take clothes with me.

I miss that awesome feeling you get as you go sit behind your desk with a coffee just after your commute (and shower of course).

That cup of coffee was really Epic this morning

My third commute this week after not cycling for over a month. Riding from Mayfair to Rosebank, going through Melville, Parktown and Greendside. Some K@k hills on that route, one way is about 9km's. Going to work is bout 30% uphill but going back home is a real killer. But I can feel an improvement everyday. From next week I'm planning to take a detour up the Sentech tower hill on the way home.

Regarding the coffee, I read in the October edition of Bicycling that coffee is not good just after a cycle, cant remember why.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

My third commute this week after not cycling for over a month. Riding from Mayfair to Rosebank, going through Melville, Parktown and Greendside. Some K@k hills on that route, one way is about 9km's. Going to work is bout 30% uphill but going back home is a real killer. But I can feel an improvement everyday. From next week I'm planning to take a detour up the Sentech tower hill on the way home.

Regarding the coffee, I read in the October edition of Bicycling that coffee is not good just after a cycle, cant remember why.

Thats not good :wacko: :thumbdown:

Starting in Bergvliet, Cape Town, I follow the Main road to Simon's Town. 22km gets me there in the mornings. I take a slightly longer route getting home in the afternoons, normally around 30 - 35km.

Don't believe everything that mag tells you ..... coffee is good anytime of the day and in any quantity and this has been un scientifically proven.

Don't believe everything that mag tells you ..... coffee is good anytime of the day and in any quantity and this has been un scientifically proven.

I would Love to believe that... anyway, I think that's enough time since this mornings commute, goiing to make me a cup a coffee. Thanks for the motivation Hairy ;)

I would Love to believe that... anyway, I think that's enough time since this mornings commute, goiing to make me a cup a coffee. Thanks for the motivation Hairy ;)

A quick pic of a quick/rushed cup of Home Brewed "Deluxe coffee" to set the right tone for you

A quick pic of a quick/rushed cup of Home Brewed "Deluxe coffee" to set the right tone for you

post-5403-0-64285100-1348124709_thumb.jpg

Hmm. This thread has got me thinking..

I am changing jobs next week and the new office will be in Kyalami as opposed to Bez Valley. Home is in Mnandi so the distance will decrease from 80km/day to 30. Enough for a commute a few times a week. I can get a lekker route through the plots of Blue Hills, Kyalami and Crowthorne but my main concern is the safety - its a bikejack central out there.

Edited by Honkdonk

Another reminder why I don't buy that waste of paper, seriously, that mag is worse than infomercials.

• 10 months later...

39 kilometers one way, 4 days a week, its been hellish commuting in winter but being in the saddle makes it worth it, i used to struggle to keep 12km/h, now i can sustain 26 km's without breaking a sweat, but it gets boring as i don't have anybody to push with, everybody is always going in the other direction.

post-39792-0-37326200-1375982195_thumb.jpg

Resurrection ?

Seems like a really old thread haha

This is my first year commuting to work and I've been going thru the winter ...which haven't been that cold actually I'm doing a 30 km round trip 5 days a week + the odd 60 km ride on a Saturday and its been awesome all the way lost 10 kg and my heart and lungs have never felt this good I love commuting

39 kilometers one way, 4 days a week, its been hellish commuting in winter but being in the saddle makes it worth it, i used to struggle to keep 12km/h, now i can sustain 26 km's without breaking a sweat, but it gets boring as i don't have anybody to push with, everybody is always going in the other direction.

thats impressive, not to far from me , but I'm going silverfields to Parktown. How long does that take you...