How far do you commute ?

ngala24

i see - i presume you're using an mtb then.

Yes. Steel frame GT Peace. Weighs as much as my FS.

the real bugger is heading south along main road straight into a howling southeaster - which picks up just about every afternoon like it's waiting for me...

In JHb the rain waits for us to start riding at 6am and 6pm

Edited by I FLY

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My commute is about 10km's one way, from Mayfair to Rosebank, first time was when I just started riding. Called the wife to pick me up on the way back home, Melville hills are a Killer, now I find it ALOT easier though. Try to to ride at least 2 - 3 times a week.

We have showers at work, but i find it easier to just carry a face towel and some Deo, when I get to work, I just wash all the smeely bits and gooi some Mitchum.

Might seem a short distance, but damn, its REALLY helped my fitness. Everytime I ride I find it a little easier.

What do u guys do when it's raining? I'm scared to ride in the the rain.

Joburg driver + Rain + cyclist = Broken cyclist

COmmute is 30km one way. No shower at work.

Now I come with the car in the morning, cycle back home. NExt morning I cycle to work, take the car and go shower at virgin active.

Me, a short 5km or so commute. Shower first, carry a clean T-shirt in the backpack, put it on at work and hang the cycling top out to dry. (Nice days, I just ride without a shirt.) If I have to get into CT from Observatory (5km), it's faster than a car: the other day I did Obs to Seapoint, got a haircut, and got back to work all in 65 minutes. Damn, I love bikes!

commuted 3km each way entire year last year. you don't need a shower from such a short ride, you just need to be able to leave early enough to ride slowly. that's the kicker, ride slowly and you won't sweat much. that's the kicker, ride slowly and every instinct in your body will be aching for more speed.

looking for new work now, and bike commuting is one of my criteria, NO way i'm prepared tor ride 45km and use a bit of mum for men to sort it out!

My commute works like this:

Plan in advance (weather, clean clothes, lunch for the next day etc). Bring bike to work with car say Wednesday, ride home after work, ride back the next morning.

I am in and out of meetings so I need my car at work. If I need a car after work, my wife's car is available. My ride home is also in the wind (less pleasant), so the ride in is normally much more fun.

Commute is from Tyger Valley (Work) to Table View (Home) about twice a week.

I keep my HR between 130 and 155bpm

Fortunately I have a shower at work, so I don't have to go shower at the gym down the road.

I do 18kms to work from the Northern Suburbs. I ride down Voortrekker Road into town.

That is pretty brave.

It must be similar to Lower Main Road from Town to Woodstock and Observatory.

I call it the Ninja ride - great for honing your reflexes.

Buses, taxis, trucks, motor bikes, pot holes and the usual cars. Pedestrians are the worst though.

great topic!

I was wondering what you'll thought about commuting from Bergvliet to Woodstock via (1) atlantic seaboard or (2) main road. Which holds the highest risk? Is there more chance of being knocked over by a taxi on mainroad or a BMW on either of the neks?

or take your car to parents place...with the bike. ride home (45km). Ride to work next morning, then drive home, with bike. Repeat cycle (ha, pun intended).

i've started doing a 45km loop in durbs every morning and being pretty fit its taking some time to get used to. not sure you want to jump into 90km a day immediately.

and keep those yellow pages stuffed in you riding shorts too. i grew up in Mondeor, its a dangerous place!!!

Guest Frail4Life

MIN 20km OR MAX 25km one way. I commute 6 days a week.

During the day, I do intervals on the way to Work.

On the way Home late at night, I either do a fast pace or a slow pace.

Either way takes about 45 mins.

Got showers at work.

12km each way. Proper hill up past SABC/Brixton tower in the mornings...

I think anything under 15km, and the shower excuse could fall away.

I simply splash and spray, no-one is turning their nose up yet... :thumbup:

great topic!

I was wondering what you'll thought about commuting from Bergvliet to Woodstock via (1) atlantic seaboard or (2) main road. Which holds the highest risk? Is there more chance of being knocked over by a taxi on mainroad or a BMW on either of the neks?

It depends on what time you go through.

If you are early, like on the road @ 6:00, you should be fine on either route.

But going home is not so much fun.

The wind and the traffic (incl pedestrians) on Lower Main Road can be hectic, but Constantia Nek isn't much fun either - Nor is the traffic through Town to Camps Bay or the coastal road to Llandudno when the SE is honking.

I caught the train home yesterday, I didn't feel like the traffic in that wind.

• 1 month later...

30km one way. Takes 1h20 with road and 1h40 with mtb.

Got no showers at work. Luckily there's a virgin active about 2km from work which I use.

Biggest problem is that I can't work late or take my laptop home when I commute

• 5 months later...

I want to start commuting from Honeydew Ridge to Jhb CBD - The safest route I have plotted out takes me over Northcliff Hill, not fit enough for it yet but working on it, hopefully in a couple of weeks I can start twice a week and go from there. Its about 25km each way with some horrible climbs

Edited by Chris J

30kms each way, to Foreshore. Use coastal road then cycle lanes all the way in. Avg 1:08 in, 1:05 out, depending on the wind. Take clean clothes and shower at work. Leave laptop at work, same with expensive stuff - all stay at home. Ride 5 times per week if windguru permits...although I should stop looking and just ride. Engaged in copious amounts of SCR, but try and keep the HR out of zone 5. No hills at all, but try and ride heavy, so fs and knobblies all the way. Have 5 commuting bibs, numbered which helps the admin. Charge light every night and make sure chain and tyres all ok. Incredible how many scars you can see from punctures where sealant came through. (I'm oldschool, ride tubes with slime in) Greet all other cyclists although seem to have a few very important Pros riding at the moment - concentrating to much to greet back.