Riding with MP3 or i Pod

Vetseun

After the tragic passing of Carla Swart yesterday and the subsequent revelation that it appears to have been an error of judgement on her part I have been thinking about my constant riding with my MP3 player as loud as it can play.Now I am fully aware that this can be rather irresponsible. When Im on my MTB its fine cause Im in the veld. And I love being in nature and listening to music that I enjoy. I however do plenty of my MTB training on my road bike. I cannot hear cars or anything else, my MP3 has become an integral training aid as I need the music as motivation. I am interested to know how many of y'all listen to music whilst training and do you agree that it is actually very dangerous.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also ride with my mp3 player all the time. The sound must be background music, I can hear birds chirping still. I know you wanna headbang and use it as motivation a bit, but better alive then well motivated. Even when riding trails, it must be turned down to background otherwise you might not hear someone coming behind you

I would never do it on a road bike. I like to know when those big trucks are going to come past, so you can brace yourself for the rushing wind.

I ride with an MP3 player, dangerous? I don't know, never had an incident I can directly relate to the use of it but maybe just been lucky .....

if you cant hear anythiong else you are going to screw things up sooner or later. I use mine sometimes but make sure I play at low enough volume to still have a conversation and know whats going on around me

Im with Caerus - do ride with it alot but always tuned down.

Must be able to hear cars/dogs ect.

I normaly ride with only 1 headphone in at a time - that way you can still have a conversation or more importantly - hear when you are about to be jumped!

Guest agteros

I do not use an MP3 player. Not on the road, nor in the veld, nor on the IDT. I do not use it while running either. It removes (or interferes) with one of your senses, and detracts from the overall experience, never mind the safety aspects!

I run/ride to get away from the constant bombardment of messages and noise of ordinary life. Training is time-out. Just me, the bike (or the shoes), and the trail/road. To hear your own footfall, and the ground crunching while you are running is better than ANY music out there! Hearing chains and gears crunching, wheels singing and the wind blowing through your helmet is also unbeatable! thumbup1.gif

I used to ride in London with my Walkman (yes it was that long ago) and after some very near misses (mainly double decker buses at night after a few beers) and BLOODY motor cyclists who thought it was funny to roll up behind you out of gear and tap you on the shoulder I stopped.

Now days I don't miss the ipod, but rather spend the time to let my thoughts have free rein.. that way I return from cycling refreshed mentally as well as totally knackered physically ;-) AND when a truck is coming I have a few seconds to tense up in order not to wobble in the slip stream, sometimes mega important given they forget to leave you any space.

I will never because my in ear phones fit so snug that I can not hear anything even if it is not plugged in.

I do not use an MP3 player. Not on the road, nor in the veld, nor on the IDT. I do not use it while running either. It removes (or interferes) with one of your senses, and detracts from the overall experience, never mind the safety aspects!

I run/ride to get away from the constant bombardment of messages and noise of ordinary life. Training is time-out. Just me, the bike (or the shoes), and the trail/road. To hear your own footfall, and the ground crunching while you are running is better than ANY music out there! Hearing chains and gears crunching, wheels singing and the wind blowing through your helmet is also unbeatable! thumbup1.gif

WELL SAID!!!!!!! WITH YOU 99%

THE OTHER 1% IS WHERE I USE MY IPOD ON THE IDT.

It`s a time to break away from the music when one is out on the mountain.

I would never ride a road race with it, in road racing you need to hear the sounds of potential attacks to react in time. MTB races I listen after Ive been dropped cause then Im all alone

Road race never! MTB many times, SabieX would be a lot tougher without it :D

IDT no go without music, it's tough enough as it is so why deprive yourself :rolleyes:

Edited by BigS

Guest agteros

WELL SAID!!!!!!! WITH YOU 99%

THE OTHER 1% IS WHERE I USE MY IPOD ON THE IDT.

It`s a time to break away from the music when one is out on the mountain.

eish, when I'm on the IDT I need my ears open for breathing ... blink.gif

What about all the deaf guys that ride? I use my Ipod all the time on the road, cuts out the boredom. Hvae Never used it on a trail, prefer that sounds of me shouting OH Sh#t :P

I would never ride a road race with it, in road racing you need to hear the sounds of potential attacks to react in time. MTB races I listen after Ive been dropped cause then Im all alone

I've heard at some races they announce it is illegal to ride with it on but still you will see people with earphones.