Riding with MP3 or i Pod

Vetseun

when i started running a always ran with my ipod. when it broke i felt like it was impossible to run. so had to learn to do without it. it does make a differnce but it cant be used in a race so unless im just going for a nice enjoyable fun run then i leave it at home and run how i would on in a race - however id be way to nervous to ride my bike and listen to music. get very nervous of cars on the road and when i ride my mtb its with my mom so we end up chatting anyway.

i think it could be hazardous if it is played to loud- after yesterdays accident think we all have to be more cautious and aware of what is going on around us.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carla's death had me thinking exactly that.

I LOVE riding with the music at full blast. And I have decent in-ear earphones that blocks out EVERYTHING from the outside, like Mampara mentioned.

Very dangerous! I have been riding for about 9 years like this with no incidents but it only takes one.......And as from yesterday I will not be using my iPod anymore.

Checked the "Rule Book" as well:

Rule 62:

You shall not ride with earphones. Cycling is about getting outside and into the elements and you don’t need to be listening to Queen or Slayer in order to experience that. Immerse yourself in the rhythm and pain, not in whatever 80′s hair band you call “music”. See Rule 5 and ride your bike.8

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I nevva do.

Just another limiter to my senses on the tarmac - ear piece, music.

Also when the wind howls a lil bit here in CT, audio from behind is even more challenging.

:blink:

I ride alone most of the time and if i don't have my iPod with me I start arguing with myself and end up losing the argument and then I ride home all grumpy... ;) so I always ride with my iPod

Ja Mampara at last years OFM Classic they announced that EarPhones were banned. Still some riders used them. The result was that one of my buddies broke his shoulder due to some chick that could not hear the the bunch comming from behind because she was listening to music. She caused a big pile up. He had his third operation 2 weeks ago to repair the damage, will not see a bike this year again.

I've heard at some races they announce it is illegal to ride with it on but still you will see people with earphones.

I ride with it as much as possible....

I wish that PPA would also realise that people riding at races have jobs and might be on Call for work...thus they have to answer the phone.

I ride races with my phone earpiece in my ear...and then when the phone rings I can "hello, just hold a sec please" while I pull over.....

I ride with my iPod on. But when I'm commuting (about the only time I ride on the road) I only put in the left earpiece so that my right ear is open (which is not only my better ear, but the one on the side from which cars will come).

When riding trails - I ride with both in.

When dirt jumping - sometimes I turn it off completely (it depends on how much I need to concentrate).

When riding DH - no music! I need all the focus I can muster!

When doing an XC race - same strategy as commuting... leave right ear open so I can hear cyclists wanting to pass me. (and yes, I'll admit that happens quite a bit, hahaha)

What about all the deaf guys that ride?

Yip my question excatly esp to the PPA?

Yip my question excatly esp to the PPA?

Like they actually have a choice if they want to hear or not. :thumbdown:

Most race organizers are now specifying that if caught in a race with an Ipod or MP3 player you will be disqualified. Iron Man go as far as also stipulating no cell phones - and believe it or not I have actually seen guys in A bunch chatting on the phone during a race.

Sometimes it seems that when people get on the bike they leave their brains behind.

Far as the questions goes, I would think on quiet roads or trails no problem, but in a bunch or on roads with heavy traffic you are looking for trouble.

the only time I have ever used earphones was during the desert dash during the midnight shift.

I used one of those ear protection thingies that clip ono the helmet strap. That way the speaker was not in my ear (cant stand little speakers in my ear, need to hear everything around me !).

I would never go on any ride with an ipod other than the one above.

After the tragic passing of Carla Swart yesterday and the subsequent revelation that it appears to have been an error of judgement on her part I have been thinking about my constant riding with my MP3 player as loud as it can play.Now I am fully aware that this can be rather irresponsible. When Im on my MTB its fine cause Im in the veld. And I love being in nature and listening to music that I enjoy. I however do plenty of my MTB training on my road bike. I cannot hear cars or anything else, my MP3 has become an integral training aid as I need the music as motivation. I am interested to know how many of y'all listen to music whilst training and do you agree that it is actually very dangerous.

I ride with a deaf guy, he's never crashed in my presence. Because he's adapted to riding without being able to hear. Same deal if you ride with music all the time. If you're careful and internalise the fact that you need to look behind you all the time, you'll be ok.

Be careful of that volume control though. I've got serious hearing issues from general headphone abuse and four years of professional dj-ing.

I ride alone most of the time and if i don't have my iPod with me I start arguing with myself and end up losing the argument and then I ride home all grumpy... ;) so I always ride with my iPod

Rideing with an ipod on a road that's used by vehicels is siucide.If you do ride with one we'll give condolances to your family soon.

I've done it once and a car came pass me,I got such a fright from the car suddenly appearing that I nearly swerved in front of it.From that day I vowed never to do it again!

Anyways,I train with a heart rate monitor and wont be able to hear the monitor when using an ipod.

Indeed my friend indeed

Agent, you must be one of those guys I see on the N1 regularly as well then hey ? :unsure: :lol: