The value of "better" wheels

This weekend at the fast one, there was this one guy in my group with deep section carbon wheels.

I thought his wheels was going to snap at any moment!!! If theres a little lateral force, the wheels starts to creak.

When he climbed out of the saddle I thought this is it... It sounded like the rims were hitting the break blocks.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and my bicycle is silent as far as possible. A creak like that would drive me crazy.

I haven't gave attention to the sound of carbon wheels until this Sunday,and i would like to know:are all carbon wheels like this?

Was it only this guys wheels?

I am envious of carbon wheels, but after hearing this noise I'll think twice...

Maybe it's just my jealousy and as soon as I have a pair of my own I'll praise the sheer brilliance of this engineering marvel.

Your thoughts?

Its more the design of an aero wheel than the carbon wheel itself. I ride Mavic Cosmic Elites which are very entry level aero wheels with a 32mm profile and they make the noise you are talking about. I would imgaine that the bigger the profile the louder the noise and also that carbon would in fact contribute to the volume as the density is different to allu.

As for the strength, many guys are riding them all over the world so provided its a decent make Im sure it would'nt snap. I do understand your concerns on the creaks/squeaks, I hate them myself!

Will not invest in Mavic's, rather buy Campag (Eurus) or perhaps even Fulcrum, don't know about Easton, etc. Like Zipps too. The 1500 g per set is a reasonable weight, depending on your weight fo course.

BTW, I race on a set of older Eurus (with st steel sapim bladed spokes) - 1550 g and 210 g tyres. I train on a set of Fulcrum Racing Sevens, around 2000 g and 350 g tyres. You DO feel the difference when you race!!

This weekend at the fast one, there was this one guy in my group with deep section carbon wheels.

I thought his wheels was going to snap at any moment!!! If theres a little lateral force, the wheels starts to creak.

When he climbed out of the saddle I thought this is it... It sounded like the rims were hitting the break blocks.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and my bicycle is silent as far as possible. A creak like that would drive me crazy.

I didn't give attention to the sound of carbon wheels until this Sunday,and i would like to know:are all carbon wheels like this?

Was it only this guy's wheels?

I am envious of carbon wheels, but after hearing this noise I'll think twice...

Maybe it's just my jealousy and as soon as I have a pair of my own I'll praise the sheer brilliance of this engineering marvel.

Your thoughts?

I roll on a set of Easton EC 90 SL carbon clinchers and they are very quiet, no creaking sounds at all, just the sound of the wind flowing through the aero spokes!

I remeber someone a while ago saying that super fancy wheels are not going to make you fast.

It was a few years ago, so forgive the actual amounts, but it was something along the lines of 'take your R20k, buy some nice R5k wheels and invest in a power meter and a coach for a year. That will make you fast!'

I remeber someone a while ago saying that super fancy wheels are not going to make you fast.

It was a few years ago, so forgive the actual amounts, but it was something along the lines of 'take your R20k, buy some nice R5k wheels and invest in a power meter and a coach for a year. That will make you fast!'

Yeah, but there's a world of difference between a R5k set of wheels and the extra heavy, super flexible wheels on a standard entry level bike.

The old standard applies to new bike bits: 1. Frame, 2.Wheels, 3. Gruppo.

I have also heard some deep section clinchers sounding as if something is "loose" Maybe the carbon bit, on the alu rim? Can someone please help? I've never heard it on Carbon tubbies? (Asking, cause I dont own either...)

A set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's was my all time best purchase. Compared to my old Shimanos the immediate acceleration uphill was very noticable. GREAT wheels, 6 years on and they still roll beautifully but are now relegated to training wheels.

Train on crap, race on decent stuff. Don't train on decent stuff 'cos then there won't be any difference when you race. I would reckon any brand name wheels from 1500g per pair and lighter would be decent.

Just saw a set of ksyrium elites on the classifieds for R2300. Will be an awesome upgrade and will last forever.

Marius I really dont know how you can say that... I saw it this weekend... I was standing up freewheeling whilst half of the other chaps were pedaling to keep up... I am the worst rider in the bunch... on slight decents it just want to roll...

I recently found that place of having training hoops and very special racing hoops...

It is well worth the value to get special racing wheels.

I read somewhere that if one can do one next-step BIG improvement on one's bike - get good wheels!!

All da best, man. :)

Expensive wheels will look nice, sound nice and ride nice. If you time trial, the best wheels will make you faster. Some, with fat spokes like RSys, Ksyriums, Eurus etc. could even have more drag than your current wheels, and may be slower in a TT.

For road races is SA, over the routes we race, I'm with Marius - it will make little to no difference to your race time.

Like Splat said - a good coach and a power meter will benefit your performance far more.