Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched stage 2 coverage on DSTV. The interviews were bizarre. Barry Mocke fighting back the tears, giving a mini-lecture on SA's history. I don't need it. First Bono, now this. I really feel for the guy. Kudos to Mr. Mocke for apologizing "unreservedly." Seems thoroughly decent, heart in right place, just WAY out of his depth

Just watched stage 2 coverage on DSTV. The interviews were bizarre. Barry Mocke fighting back the tears, giving a mini-lecture on SA's history. I don't need it. First Bono, now this. I really feel for the guy. Kudos to Mr. Mocke for apologizing "unreservedly." Seems thoroughly decent, heart in right place, just WAY out of his depth

Sorry boet, sounded more like dronkverdriet than an apology, using the word "unreservedly", what's that, anyone can do that.

The rich cultural heritage, bull dust man, it's a cycle tour not a televised tour guide exercise.

Let me not forget the Ok, Ok, Ok .

The only thing that can be said is that there was bad planning and in usual fashion it was simply expected that things will go smooth, that is pure arrogance I say, oh and before I forget .......... OK.

cant wait for super cycling toninght and the soft landing they will give this embarising event.

what a waste of time.

If I'm a big sponser, I will take my money somewere else.

SA Cycling is just good enough to arrange fun rides.

Not even Provincial or national championships.

If Supercycling give the incompetent organisers a soft landing tonight it'll be the last time I watch that program.

Resignations not apologies, enough is enough!

Edited by Eraser

i dont get it, you guys are calling for people to resign, but who takes their place ?

who is going to put up their hands to try and do a better job ?

no, not supporting them. yes this is a bit of an issue, and fast on the back of the PE debacle.

i dont get it, you guys are calling for people to resign, but who takes their place ?

no, not supporting them. yes this is a bit of an issue, and fast on the back of the PE debacle.

+1 . Ag I'm sure some of the 'know it all's on the hub will make a good CSA team. After their successfull cycling tv program that has taken Supercycling of the air.

+1 . Ag I'm sure some of the 'know it all's on the hub will make a good CSA team. After their successfull cycling tv program that has taken Supercycling of the air.

+1. Easy to sit and judge of the couch!

Andrew McLean for CSA President. :clap:

As a confirmed SACF/CSA hater this is going to sound strange from me but I genuinely felt bad for Mocke. You could see the disappointment and emotion on his face and in his voice. My feeling is that he felt he really had tried hard and failed.

Now why did he fail?

Personally I feel it was in the lack of communication - pretty much no one knew about the race. No advertising on radio/TV - no boards put up in the area - no informing of the residents along the route.

I felt they got most things right - the South African tourism package after the programme was awesome, the start though Montey was awesome, the crowds, interviews, Segways etc were all fine touches.

The key to this is getting the residents on board - they have pretty much accepted the 94.7 and that has FULL road closure for many more hours than the ToSA.

I feel its a real pity that the 2% they got wrong had such a sginificant impact.

The positive rider comments after the stage were also pretty good.

That said - I don't think a race of this type should go through Joburg. Racing showcases a country mostly for tourists - keep the race in the scenic part of the country (the cape) where the roads are quieter and the views are better.

hindsight is 20-20. When the race was announced everyone was overly excited about the route, including the sandton section. Now, everyone always knew it wouldn't work.

Nobody could foresee this happening. I'm sure they will learn from the mistakes.

Exactly. All these people were voted in by cyclists. Now they don't do the job and the cyclists want their heads.

I don't think a race of this type should go through Joburg. Racing showcases a country mostly for tourists - keep the race in the scenic part of the country (the cape) where the roads are quieter and the views are better.

Cant agree there bro: The cradle area is awesome, a world heritage site. Joburg has a beauty of its own, its just a stuff up that it was under resourced and not planned properly. The escarpment and low veld and lots of KZN (not forgetting the Vrystaat) are also beautiful areas of our country so please lets get a grip here. An the Burg' yes lets talk about some real mountains, most Kaapies have no idea.

My other suggestion is they should do it during the week and hook up with schools for skoolkidz to line the roads: that will be a win-win situation. We saw that a lot with the Tour of Oman.

One point - CSA had a similar problem with PE's city centre at SA Road Champs. Several events also got cancelled. That's a tremendous disservice to those riders who trained, attended etc. I think you have learn lessons and apply them, because PE was a test case for the urban stage through JHB. Not sure if you can blame drivers, not matter how rude they are...you have to create a situation where everything is under control, and you have contingencies in place based on anticipating every eventuality.

Very well put, couldn't agree more.

Slowbee, resignations are not the issue here.

I think we are all in uproar as we give money to CSA to look after us.

We leave our "lives" in their hands if I could say so.

We trust in them to look after out favourite sport, we trust in them to let things flow smoothly.

PE and TOSA are two big flops that actually have no excuses good enough.

Admittance is all that's needed, admitting that the planning was done to poor effect and that not enough care was taken, and that from here on they promise to do what they are asked to do, their jobs.

Cyclejourno hit the nail on the head.

NO matter how you look at it, stage 2 was not properly policed / marshaled, and the comunities were not correctly notified. Lets look ahead to hopefully some awesome safe racing for the rest of the week in a sepectacular part of the country and let phil and gerald wax lerical about the garden route and winelands!!!! Stages get neutralized in the TDF, rider protested last year about safety of the route..... The only different is, the TDF can aford a few hickups as its 100 odd years old and aint going away... Tour of SA cannot aford these hickup in its first year as it might end up going away!!!