Tokai Maintenance and Building

EvilRabbit

Just rode Tokai - been 2 years since I have been on a bike and was a little sketchy, but loved it. Was out on the new bike and really happy with her.

Seems quite a bit of work as been done to the trails - thanks to the builders. Mamba and Boomslang seemed to be really rutted out and wonder if they need a rest for a while? Perhaps a new alternative could be looked at allowing them to recover/be repaired? They used to great trails for me to take beginners on as an intro to the sport and now saw a few guys struggling.

the problem with this is that there are a multitude of fellows who will just see a bit of red tape and the sign that says "trail closed for maintenance" and just barrel on through the needles a bit further on and circumvent the trail head entirely, but joining the "closed trail" a bit further down than intended, creating a whole new, unspoiled, entry point. I see some of these okes on a weekly basis, and they are the same okes that try to

a: Blag an entry saying "I'll pay on the way out!"

b: "Ag, come on bro, you know me, right? Let me in!"

c: Drag back brakes on the berms

d: feed the trolls

e: ARE the trolls

f: shout "HOLD YOUR LINE" when there is only one line to hold

g: go up the Down Only single tracks and get indignant when peeps come barrelling down.

I know it's not all of us that do this, but if one "new" person sees it happening, they follow suit thinking it's the accepted thing.

And I'm riding Tokai tomorrow, testing out my new front tyre and getting some much-needed trail time in. Also, I need to crit your efforts :-)

Just bummed I couldn't be there this time! A certain event containing a couple of rings was in the way of my efforts...

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with this is that there are a multitude of fellows who will just see a bit of red tape and the sign that says "trail closed for maintenance" and just barrel on through the needles a bit further on and circumvent the trail head entirely, but joining the "closed trail" a bit further down than intended, creating a whole new, unspoiled, entry point. I see some of these okes on a weekly basis, and they are the same okes that try to

a: Blag an entry saying "I'll pay on the way out!"

b: "Ag, come on bro, you know me, right? Let me in!"

c: Drag back brakes on the berms

d: feed the trolls

e: ARE the trolls

f: shout "HOLD YOUR LINE" when there is only one line to hold

g: go up the Down Only single tracks and get indignant when peeps come barrelling down.

I know it's not all of us that do this, but if one "new" person sees it happening, they follow suit thinking it's the accepted thing.

And I'm riding Tokai tomorrow, testing out my new front tyre and getting some much-needed trail time in. Also, I need to crit your efforts :-)

Just bummed I couldn't be there this time! A certain event containing a couple of rings was in the way of my efforts...

"HOLD THE LINE" - Lag

I think the two need to be done and the same time. If you remove a trail, guys will find something to ride, but if there is a great alternative I think people will respect the healing process. A flyer costs a few cents, these could be handed out by the gate staff when people leave Tokai. I paid R30 to ride. A few cents to create awareness should be within budget. If you explain the process most mtb riders are nature respecting and should be supportive. There are enough large dead logs around to block the trail.

The alternative is to create some raised wooden north shore style bridges to allow people to ride over the really badly rutted, rooty areas. The bridges could split into 2 endings allowing for a easy roll off and small drop off giving the rider a choice. Just some ideas...

Edited by EvilRabbit

Just read this thread. Been riding Tokai for years but have no idea what the process is/how its maintained etc.

The bureaucracy sounds like a proper cluster****.

Spread awareness. Not everyones on the hub. Flyers are a good idea. Even el cheapo ones that can be tucked under windscreen wipers at the parking lot.

I'm sure people will volunteer. "HELP US IMPROVE TOKAI/VOLUNTEERS NEEDED" stating dates/building materials needed/issues etc.

Now that I am AWARE I will be checking this thread out for the next maintenance/volunteer dates.

I echo your thought MockTurtle. More people need to know about these trail days and the majority of riders do not read the hub often so flyers, posters etc would go a long way to getting a trail maintenance community going. I'll follow here and try get to the next one.

A certain event containing a couple of rings was in the way of my efforts...

:clap:

...and how is the Mrs Mayhem keeping?

Was reading through the PPA website, you know, the new one. :blink:

Interesting observation.. no projects forecast or in the past that pertain to Tokai... except for where mountain bikers don't actually ride i.e. on the lower slopes where dogs poop on the trail between the horse hoof divots! (Lovely pedestrian walkway BTW, paid for by PPA.)

You guys should wait for the winter.. whatever you do now will be disposed as dust..

Thank you for what you do, I would come help oneday, but Im just saying, Ive spent Years of my life building.. wait for the rains..

Was reading through the PPA website, you know, the new one. :blink:

Interesting observation.. no projects forecast or in the past that pertain to Tokai... except for where mountain bikers don't actually ride i.e. on the lower slopes where dogs poop on the trail between the horse hoof divots! (Lovely pedestrian walkway BTW, paid for by PPA.)

What was the deal with access to timber?

Guest Omega Man

My mate clipped a XC dude IN the berm on DH3. Luckily no-one was hurt but it could have been ugly. He weighs about 90kg excluding his 20kg bike and kit. The xc dude would have been liquidized if he had made proper contact. But why is he riding UP a berm?

We downhillers have 600m of trail on that entire hill. Yes that's right 600 (Measured from just above the road gap to the third jump on DH3)and people ride UP the downhill tracks and draaaaaagggg their brakes at every opportunity.

Sorry I didn't come to the maintenance day but I have put substantial time in on that hill. And paarl. And Sir Lowrys and Eden.

I'll put time in on the 600m that I ride.

^ speaks the gospel. Now if we coudl only find another 66m of track.. that would be a devil of a course.. :thumbup:

on a more serious note, there should be signs up facing the 'climbers' that riding up is NOT allowed on the DH tracks. Right of way bs arguments will have everyone tied up in court when all it really required was a simple sign clearly stating there is kilometers of other routes to climb up, ie stay off the DH tracks if you not a DHer.

Oh Mega: Jason almost clipped two lycranoids while they were riding up DH2. The looks they gave him... despicable. despite the fact he threw all anchors to try and avoid them.

Edited by Capricorn

wait for the rains..

..good, someone with erosion experience.. keep an eye out for trail dates. Speaking of rain, which we've just had.. seen the revitalised berms lately, that clay really packed down!! Woohoo!! All the rollers and run-offs seemed to slow down the water keeping the dust where it should be.. only thing that went wrong was the rear brakes.. why are we braking in a turn??

DH: Hands up for volunteer DH maintenance day.. or should we wait for the logging to finish first? Logging starts again Wednesday so get ready for route closures. :( Won't be long before they get to the trail. In the meantime, what needs work. Suggestions?

Timber? The only good stuff is Gum tree (Eucalyptus /ˌjuːkəˈlɪptəs), pine rots in months so that is no good.. then the trouble with Gum is it's booked by the firewood guys in some deal between parks and the firewood supplier. When we find good logs however, finders keepers! The timber is really only good for building up jumps or reinforcing lips to brake on..

The use of shore styled timber is a tricky one since we have really dry dusty summers. The dust settles on the timber and for the first few days of consistent rain, the wood is like snot, slippery with fine clay until enough wear digs through that layer. Other than lining each structure with chicken wire (cost), it is really up to the rider to approach timber with caution (because of the limitation in signage).. BTW who fell last week Wednesday? Anyone know him? I heard he is beat up real bad.. I understand he came off a jump, a wooden one if the sources are correct..

..good, someone with erosion experience.. keep an eye out for trail dates. Speaking of rain, which we've just had.. seen the revitalised berms lately, that clay really packed down!! Woohoo!! All the rollers and run-offs seemed to slow down the water keeping the dust where it should be.. only thing that went wrong was the rear brakes.. why are we braking in a turn??

DH: Hands up for volunteer DH maintenance day.. or should we wait for the logging to finish first? Logging starts again Wednesday so get ready for route closures. :( Won't be long before they get to the trail. In the meantime, what needs work. Suggestions?

Timber? The only good stuff is Gum tree (Eucalyptus /ˌjuːkəˈlɪptəs), pine rots in months so that is no good.. then the trouble with Gum is it's booked by the firewood guys in some deal between parks and the firewood supplier. When we find good logs however, finders keepers! The timber is really only good for building up jumps or reinforcing lips to brake on..

The use of shore styled timber is a tricky one since we have really dry dusty summers. The dust settles on the timber and for the first few days of consistent rain, the wood is like snot, slippery with fine clay until enough wear digs through that layer. Other than lining each structure with chicken wire (cost), it is really up to the rider to approach timber with caution (because of the limitation in signage).. BTW who fell last week Wednesday? Anyone know him? I heard he is beat up real bad.. I understand he came off a jump, a wooden one if the sources are correct..

In for DH maintenance. Available this Sunday am before lunch for some hours.

Regarding the timber. To start I'd like to see a berm at the mid end of vasbyt where the path takes a 180* right and is fairly off camber and the point of the turn meets that barbed wire fence - asking for trouble. Think something like:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4912462348_783afb06c1.jpg

I think we can also look to create simple bridges (I would add simple roll-in at the end to allow beginners to roll-in or intermediates to drop it) that could cover some of the really badly rutted areas:

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/uploads/2/2e/IMG_1248_MultiLevelDrops.jpg

Simple framed drops like the one below would save the roots which seem to be holding some of mamba and boomslang together.

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/uploads/9/99/IMG_1274_PressTreatedTimberFramedDrop.jpg

Regarding the DH. I think it would be great to create some more beginner type sections around vasbyt. There are plenty young kids, and old adults who consider themselves young kids, who are learning and would like to see some safe skills development type stunts. Would be easier to have these lower down on the mountain so the guys don't have to push the big bikes for 40mins to the top of the mountain.

Edited by EvilRabbit

In for DH maintenance. Available this Sunday am before lunch for some hours.

Regarding the timber. To start I'd like to see a berm at the mid end of vasbyt where the path takes a 180* right and is fairly off camber and the point of the turn meets that barbed wire fence - asking for trouble. Think something like:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4912462348_783afb06c1.jpg

--- While we are not opposed to this level of structure in Tokai, the majority will not ride it. 1st need is to provide for the mass, and make it safe. A berm is planned for the corner you talk of, but it will be backed by poles and built up in clay/laterite similar to Roots - but harder wearing for the full sun. The barbed wire is enjoying it's last few months in Tokai, heading for retirement soon. :clap:

I think we can also look to create simple bridges (I would add simple roll-in at the end to allow beginners to roll-in or intermediates to drop it) that could cover some of the really badly rutted areas:

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/uploads/2/2e/IMG_1248_MultiLevelDrops.jpg

--- Good idea, I see this higher up where slope is on our side!!

Simple framed drops like the one below would save the roots which seem to be holding some of mamba and boomslang together.

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/uploads/9/99/IMG_1274_PressTreatedTimberFramedDrop.jpg

--- On the cards already. We have a good relationship with a timber supplier in S/set West. It is an additional cost but at a reduced price. The gum poles also provide for this as shape is of no consequence when retaining.. Some of the lines will feature various sized drops..

Regarding the DH. I think it would be great to create some more beginner type sections around vasbyt. There are plenty young kids, and old adults who consider themselves young kids, who are learning and would like to see some safe skills development type stunts. Would be easier to have these lower down on the mountain so the guys don't have to push the big bikes for 40mins to the top of the mountain.

--- Most of the skills development will happen around this area from the berm down. Your point of pushing is a BIG one. Bigger than BEEG CORN BITES! There needs to be a solution but as you know, lower down the mtn is at the cost of slope. The DH track along side the JTrack is a possibility. What is lacking there is some of the stunts you've shown to make it more exciting. Do you know if there is consensus for the wants in a DH track? i.e What counts more, speed or style? I edge more to style so if you asked me, I would put in more stunts and reduce erosion.. That would go through approval without a bat of an eyelid.

Thanks for your effort.. much appreciated.

^ See quote for comments starting at ---^

Edited by Pain or Shine

^ See quote for comments starting at ---^

My thoughts: there already is a DH course with gradient for speed, drops and gnarl inc road gap.

I think a shaped run that would contain options like a table tops with 2/3 take-offs and landings so beginners hang on the right and experienced riders hang left. The same can be done for bridges etc. The gradient around vasbyt is better suited to this style of riding - think more Super D, that DH. Something the XC and DH guys can enjoy at the same time. More roll-able table tops maybe.

A mini excavator is about R1500 a day including an operator and would get more done in a day or 2 than a lot of hands - which also seem difficult to organize and get commitment. Berms and just seem to take a lot of time and effort. If we planned and marked out what is needed, pretty sure a lot could be done in a weekend.

Not sure what is available in the budget - could you shed some light? If it is an issue I am sure we could raise the funds and get additional paid labor, creating jobs for those in need. This may suit more people who don't have the time, but want to be a part of the effort.

I also really like the idea of a course that everyone can enjoy to ride, and I think it can be possible with tabletops and drops with gradients that can be rolled down by the slower guys or jumped by the faster guys. This will help to get people to progress in a much safer manner.

At the moment IMHO the skills gap between riders are rather huge and that is creating a lot of the problems regarding people getting in each others way. Sure there will always be guys that prefer the jeeptrack up and down but I feel we should try and help the guys that are atleast interested in trying out the singletrack and progressing. This is the only way we going to get the technical side of the sport to grow.

Paid labour can be used to move earth and dig holes etc but I think in the end the preparing of jumps and course layout etc should be done by volunteer riders who know what it should look like to flow nicely.

Just got back to beautiful Slaapstad after a little time away riding the endless Karoo roads, so, just checking to see what you all were up to in Tokai.

When do we get things moving? I'm keen to weild a spade in anger anytime you guys want to build things like berms and jumps and drops, even if I only pretend to do the bigger ones.