Single speed projects

divernick

Guest notmyname

Ja, that's how I am leaning, but I am itching to ride it! Have got some wheels I will pop on for now just to ride in the meantime. I was given a set of Fiamme rims. Haven't heard much about them before. And there's a set of F.I.R. rims at home somewhere too. I was supposed to go with my mate to see Ron Thompson this week, but we didn't get around to it...he might have...I will check tomorrow when I get the seatpost.

As far as the provenance of the bike goes, only done a cursory bit of research. If my reading's right, it's no older than 1965 and no younger than 1968. Will delve further, but some Cinelli experts seem to think tracking a bike via its serial number is pointless.

Grumpy thinks the hubs are older, but I wonder if that's wishful. Will, like with the frame, delve a bit deeper. The crank looks a lot "younger" too.

Start posting on the retro bike thread please. Rad Tumbles, lekker weekend man.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, that's how I am leaning, but I am itching to ride it! Have got some wheels I will pop on for now just to ride in the meantime. I was given a set of Fiamme rims. Haven't heard much about them before. And there's a set of F.I.R. rims at home somewhere too. I was supposed to go with my mate to see Ron Thompson this week, but we didn't get around to it...he might have...I will check tomorrow when I get the seatpost.

As far as the provenance of the bike goes, only done a cursory bit of research. If my reading's right, it's no older than 1965 and no younger than 1968. Will delve further, but some Cinelli experts seem to think tracking a bike via its serial number is pointless.

Grumpy thinks the hubs are older, but I wonder if that's wishful. Will, like with the frame, delve a bit deeper. The crank looks a lot "younger" too. 

You can always pop in at Dr. George if you're looking for those period correct parts to round out this build. Just make sure its before 14h00.

I have a set of Fiamme rims with Campy hubs, they're nice, but take tubbies. With the price of tubbies, I chose to build my hubs onto clincher rims. They are great, 50 odd years old and smooth as silk.

post-15591-1455313218,0229.jpg

Got a bit impatient after yesterday's setback with the Cinelli, so this kinda got dusted off and put together quickly...I had been thinking of using the frame in a sidecar project - haven't abandoned that idea just yet ^_^ - but thought I would rescue the handlebars and coffee holder off the dead fixie and slap them on something. Found some whitewalls off a cruiser that is somewhere waiting to be painted - that's taking a while, come to think of it - and put them on here. 

I reckon it's looks alright. Thoughts?

post-1604-0-62732500-1455429804_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-08130900-1455429842_thumb.jpg

Got a coaster brake, so not a fixie, but had oddles of fun on that bike in the past, including one memorable New Year's Day ride at Northern Farm with the late Mark Stockton - he was bit of an SS fan, which reminds me, I must track down the 'Dale I got off him and converted into an SS a coupla years ago...

Cornering on singletrack was fun on that hungover day! At first I'd have to think about where the crank was going into corners, because if I adjusted mid-turn, the rear would lock up. Then I realised that's the only way to ride it: drift into and out of corners...occasionally using a tree to bounce you back!

Bike had a riser bar then...hmmmmmm...

Anyhows, enough reminiscing and changing minds...off to pick up my kid to go and watch one of Marvel's funniest kill lots of people. 

Cheers!

:devil:

Edited by Tumbleweed

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find some cool retro saddles? It's for a baby blue and white fixie.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been looking at a video of the Trocadero Fixie. .. That looks like an interesting bike!

Tom