Sub 3 Club Cape Argus 2011

andretraut

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure how many father and son times are both Sub-3:

I managed my first sub-3 with a time of 2h56 starting in VB and then waited for my son (Josh, age 14) to finish as he started in Group E.

You can imagine the family anxiety when he said that he too had done a 2h56!

So until the official results came out, we did not know who had "won". It landed up that my son beat me by a mere 30 seconds.

Great day, a great ride, and a proud moment.

How cool that you can enjoy this with your son! You realise the tide will probably turn from this moment on and you'll have to accept that he is going to skin you alive in the bike races from now on! That'll just make you even more proud, eh!!!!

My eldest is 10 this year. Very tempted to get her on a tandem with me for sometime in the next couple of years.

I managed my first sub-3 with a time of 2h56 starting in VB and then waited for my son (Josh, age 14) to finish as he started in Group E.

You can imagine the family anxiety when he said that he too had done a 2h56!

So until the official results came out, we did not know who had "won". It landed up that my son beat me by a mere 30 seconds.

Great day, a great ride, and a proud moment.

Dude, your son is a machine!!! I rode with him (I finished 10th in E). He was telling me that he is 1st year u16 and they wouldn't put him with the rest of his team in A.... Congrats man - he rode flipping well!! I got stuck behind an E rider up Chappies and that is where he and the winner of E got away - I was 4th in the E train and 3rd guy just couldn't keep up the tempo. C & D bunch riders took up the full road width of Chappies at that point.

You have a great little champ there! Congrats! I ended with a 2:57:25 official finishing time :thumbup:

Congrats to everyone.

Managed a 3h14s09 , Forgot my legs at home and had to chase hard at the end first half of the race 114 minutes (1h54) and second part 80 min(1h20)with lots of traffic at chappies (Wanted to pace myself but clearly screwed that up . . . )

So does anyone know exactly why you are not allow to do it twice, except, "because we say so"?

I don't think they care if 50 people do it 2x

they don't want to actively encourage it, and have 5000 people doing it 2x, as this would start causing logistics problems

Well done to all the sub 3 club members.

I was hoping to be there myself, but I started at the back of E bunch and couldn't get to the front before the group split going up through Constantia.

I put the hammer down on the M3 to try and bridge the massive gap, but once we hit Boyes I realized it's an effort in futility.

Well done lads.

3:27 from TT, heavy traffic and not a lot of help...but very fun day in the saddle! Well done all the sub 3's!

That is super impressive. Next year you should get a better seeding!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune! Hope you are alright, sad about that beautiful piece of machinery. Get well soon!

Cheers. Yip... not a happy day! And seeing my steed being overtaken by OE, and OF guys was a sad sight :) but she is repairable, I think! :(

Well done on your time! Awesome! Really, really...really wish I was there!

Also a first for me, sub 3 on a MTB with knobblies. Gonna do this every year, bloody hard but worthwhile! ..It also annoyed a few sad individuals who don't like sitting behind a mountain biker!

That's awesome. I tried my best to get a sub-3, my knobblies sang sweetly all the way but I only managed 3:16. Perhaps next year I can move up a group or two just to get a harder initial pull. Trying to pull in front doesn't always work so lekka, the skinny's come flying past just because I am on a MTB and it's a sin to slipstream a MTB in a road race, someone might just recognise you and you will never hear the end of it :-)

Sub-3 on a MTB with knobblies? It's possible, it hurts, it's just out of reach for now.

Ingo

My goal for the season was:

PB for most races.

A podium finish in my group at least once.

And a few others.

My time was 3:28. A PB!

A brave effort after weeks on the road away from my 'Dale.

Airbender, if I'm correct you were in J, my group. I was in 4th place entering Hospital bend climb and just behind the prang when it happened on the climb. There was also a prang coming out of Simonstown which happened just in front of me as well- dabbed my foot down for a sec, and carried on to finish in 3:26- a PB in my 10th Argus, so we probably spend a fair amount of time riding next to each other. I had the Laurentina kit.

Oh, and BTW, my uncle, Don Corleone, would like the names and addresses of all the guys who beat me, to pay them a visit and offer them his congratulations. :D

Well done to you all.

Edited by Yang

We just beat you guys then, I was in VM (started together with VB) and finished in 2:55:05, my son was in A and just beat me in 2:54:21. We actually rode together for a bit when A caught up to VB/VM but then I pulled ahead up Chappies.

Well done to you and your son and good luck in trying to keep up with him in the future. :clap:

Airbender, if I'm correct you were in J, my group. I was in 4th place entering Hospital bend climb and just behind the prang when it happened on the climb. There was also a prang coming out of Simonstown which happened just in front of me as well- dabbed my foot down for a sec, and carried on to finish in 3:26- a PB in my 10th Argus, so we probably spend a fair amount of time riding next to each other. I had the Laurentina kit.

Oh, and BTW, my uncle, Don Corleone, would like the names and addresses of all the guys who beat me, to pay them a visit and offer them his congratulations. :D

Well done to you all.

No I think Airbender was in Group F

I don't think they care if 50 people do it 2x

they don't want to actively encourage it, and have 5000 people doing it 2x, as this would start causing logistics problems

I'm with you here, Fand....

Race organisers want to control as much as they can. To create order and safety.

Congrats to all sub 3's

Well we did not get one :( 600 Meters from the start we had our first flat - started in K - then before Smitswinkel 2nd one and a 3rd one 6Km later.

Thanks for the guy who gave us a spare bomb. We had to wait 15 minutes for help with the 3rd one.

Fantastic weather though.

Reason I was asking how they set the group start time is because I did 3:00:05 on my bike computer :)

Started from group L for an almost entire solo ride to the finish. Came 2nd in my group so there's one L rider with a guaranteed sub3.

It felt strange feeling so lonely amongst enormous bunches of riders :)

The guy who took the group win didn't play it very nice though, I pulled him all the way up Chaps screaming 'left' and 'passing' and setting the pace etc. just to see him sprint away 50m from me on Suikerbossie & finding a quick tandem on the long downhill... Together both of us would have a guaranteed sub-3.

I guess he wanted the group win :rolleyes: ...

Still I don't need to say I was happy doing it in 3h finding my way through hundreds and hundreds of people during my Argus TT.

U helped me lots dude. I was the first oke from K.I did a 3:03.

Better my time by 50min.