Formula 1...

'Dale

a62833206f719889156c7188591b4c62.jpg

Interesting comparison. Of course one can argue points differently so leave to you to come up with your own conclusions.

The great shumie harmed his stats when he returned...he shoulda stayed retired. 

Its pointless comparing the 2 in a straight shoot out, different eras, different rules, different competitors. 

Having said that, Shumie i believe is a worthier champion for the time being but 44 will continue to win and win championships and will from a statistical point be a greater champion. 

if only he would cease the BS. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, there are amazing brands of vegan dog food that provides a fully balanced and complete nutrition plan.

The science has come a long way.

This is not the case for cats.

What has a vegan dog diet got to do with F1

Stupid idea any way

Its pointless comparing the 2 in a straight shoot out, different eras, different rules, different competitors. 

Having said that, Shumie i believe is a worthier champion for the time being but 44 will continue to win and win championships and will from a statistical point be a greater champion. 

so few people understand that 

As I said, interpret as you will.

Your point on his return is something I hadn’t considered to be honest. I’ll chew on that for a bit.

One thing you said here has sparked me to want you to elaborate more though. “Statistical point be a greater champion”. How else would you measure one’s ultimate success in a sport? Surly it’s on those key stats? Any examples where you could demonstrate a great champion that doesn’t rewrite records? (I’m not trolling, I’m honestly interested)

so few people understand that

What length of time defines an era? Suppose rules can also define it too ??

Why do you consider them to be from different era’s? Can fully agree Shumi vs. Fangio or Moss etc. But we talking about two guys that raced each other.

What length of time defines an era? Suppose rules can also define it too ??

Why do you consider them to be from different era’s? Can fully agree Shumi vs. Fangio or Moss etc. But we talking about two guys that raced each other.

I think maybe cause Shumi had more of the popular vote

I would then say to answer you maybe Fangio, cause he dominated for 5 titles in a time where a bad crash meant you're likely dead/seriously maimed

But again Different eras of the sport

GOAT will likely always be contested but Lewis and Michael will likely always be part of that conversation

As I said, interpret as you will.

Your point on his return is something I hadn’t considered to be honest. I’ll chew on that for a bit.

One thing you said here has sparked me to want you to elaborate more though. “Statistical point be a greater champion”. How else would you measure one’s ultimate success in a sport? Surly it’s on those key stats? Any examples where you could demonstrate a great champion that doesn’t rewrite records? (I’m not trolling, I’m honestly interested)

Senna. Many would argue convincingly that senna was a better driver an greater champion.

Lauda after his return after horrific injuries.

One could never successfully argue that 44 is not a great champion. His results speak for themselves and yesterday’s race underlines his ability more so than any of his previous victories imho. He arguably had an inferior car yesterday and still won.

While shumie an Lewis did race they are/were in different eras. Shumie was well past it and as much as I wanted him to be great it was not to be.

I suspect alonso is going to be found wanting too.

Senna. Many would argue convincingly that senna was a better driver an greater champion.

Lauda after his return after horrific injuries.

I suspect alonso is going to be found wanting too.

Senna has always been my No:1 , my childhood hero. But I accept that he wasn’t around long enough to prove to be the GOAT. Thing is, we will never know and someone like Vettel is proof and career success can change dramatically (though arguably Vettel is more popular now than he ever was).

Lauda I call a game changer. He was one of the few that was able to completely change the sport while not changing the rules. He took car handling, weight and reliability to a new level. But ultimately the great enhancements he made to the sport were better executed in the car by some other drivers like Prost. Lauda admitted this

Senna again was the first to take physical and mental fitness to the next level. What is now seen as the absolute norm was because Senna dedicated himself to one single goal. He wanted his body to allow him to focus 100% on driving and tactics and not worry about getting tired or distracted.

There are things far more important than stats. This is supposed to be entertaining. That's why Gilles is such an icon.

My age people will always go back to Senna and Lauda. If you think of the variety of cars Lauda won in, it's unreal...

Oh they only won x WC in competitive eras, they must actually suck. <-- sarcasm...

There are things far more important than stats. This is supposed to be entertaining. That's why Gilles is such an icon.

My age people will always go back to Senna and Lauda. If you think of the variety of cars Lauda won in, it's unreal...

Oh they only won x WC in competitive eras, they must actually suck. <-- sarcasm...

I also reckon the professor was a shrewd and canny driver, a worthy champion and one under rated. Greatest, by his own admission non. 

Mansell was indeed fast too, winning championships on both "sides" of the atlantic and more so a great all round nice guy. i sitll remember him show boating on the final lap and switching the engine off accidently. 

JV - But for some luck would have been world champ in his rookie season, he set records which have only ever been equalled by one Lewis Hamilton as a rookie. 

Piquet - also a worthy champion. Underrated as he never really sought the limelight. 

All 20 drivers are there because they can drive. All have the same desire, the same goal. I enjoy watching F1, its a spectacle both on the track and off it.  

I predict Lewis will win an 8th championship ...and possibly even a 9th and 10th. He is young enough to do so

I also reckon the professor was a shrewd and canny driver, a worthy champion and one under rated. Greatest, by his own admission non. 

Mansell was indeed fast too, winning championships on both "sides" of the atlantic and more so a great all round nice guy. i sitll remember him show boating on the final lap and switching the engine off accidently. 

JV - But for some luck would have been world champ in his rookie season, he set records which have only ever been equalled by one Lewis Hamilton as a rookie. 

Piquet - also a worthy champion. Underrated as he never really sought the limelight. 

All 20 drivers are there because they can drive. All have the same desire, the same goal. I enjoy watching F1, its a spectacle both on the track and off it.  

I predict Lewis will win an 8th championship ...and possibly even a 9th and 10th. He is young enough to do so

Lewis has the ability to win more championships, but I wonder if he may getting bored or considering other options. Maybe he feels he has achieved what he wanted to. I base this on him not signing a contract for next year yet.

Edited by MrJacques

Lewis has the ability to win more championships, but I wonder if he may getting bored or considering other options. Maybe he feels he has achieved what he wanted to. I base this on him not signing a contract for next year yet.

i agree, only boredom would stop him winning more. At some point you must get bored. 

I always thought that of shumie, once you have won many, adoration, more money than you could hope to ever use , just what keeps one going?  These guys probably have an aberration of sorts in that regard. 

Maybe he should do a Schumie and jump in a slow Ferrari and develop it into a winning car and then win another Championship?

Maybe he should do a Schumie and jump in a slow Ferrari and develop it into a winning car and then win another Championship?

I'm not really a Hamilton fan, but I think Sunday showed us that it still takes skills to drive the best car. Bottas could barely keep it pointing in the right direction while Lewis was able to make a comeback after not being on pole and win the race.