Another Bikejacking

pezulu

Inside job maybe? how would the perpetrators of this crime know when and where to hide, its not public information must have come from somehere. I suggest interviews with all the staff for starters.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm makes sense what you are saying Kosmo, maybe a disgruntled employee even.

And then we are also not doing ourselves any favours by posting ride details on the hub and social media where anyone can read it...

Edited by Weight Weenie

I rode that area on Saturday ... got home around 1pm but didn't see anything but I was nervous going behind the Engen 1-stop by myself .... was bikejacked at gunpoint in Feb - fuggin scary!!

Hmm makes sense what you are saying Kosmo, maybe a disgruntled employee even.

And then we are also not doing ourselves any favours by posting ride details on the hub and social media where anyone can read it...

I think its pure chance as to who it happens to, but this stuff IS stolen to order without a doubt in my mind. Its no longer just random cases of wrong time & place. What makes it more crazy is that it is being organised by a cyclist.

Edited by Caerus

In another thread a few days ago someone said that at the start of a weekly group ride that there where a few unsavories hanging around and taking a lot of interest in the bikes. They could be just phoning ahead on common trails with details.

Who knows but I dont think they stealing them for transport

..............4 Muggles jumped out of the long grass,..........

Can we get Harry Potter on the case?

(ok, ok, coat, hat, door)

2 MTB'ers were bikejacked this morning @ PE's first MTB provincial while warming up 5mins before the race, with 100+ people 500m away?? Thankfully due the combined efforts of local security, MTB'ers and the SAP, all 6 suspects were caught and the bikes returned. This is the 3rd such attack in PE's greenbelt in the last week. The frustrating thing is that these guys are not going to sit long, if at all.

... our cops are fat, lazy and thick so it probabaly won't work, odds are it will be a cop that wogs it anyway!

I see they were given 600 odd cars for patrols, I wonder how many will be 'stolen' or simply vanish!

hehehe it looks like the police boss thinks it's perfectly acceptable to have criminals among them http://news.iafrica.com/sa/718871.html

hope the guys recover soon.

a national mountain bike database of some sorts? where you register you bike with the serial number? and you go report it stolen on there? and if you buy a bike, you go check against that? also maybe impossible to insure a bike if the national registry reports the bike as stolen? what would admin costs of something like this be?

2 MTB'ers were bikejacked this morning @ PE's first MTB provincial while warming up 5mins before the race, with 100+ people 500m away?? Thankfully due the combined efforts of local security, MTB'ers and the SAP, all 6 suspects were caught and the bikes returned. This is the 3rd such attack in PE's greenbelt in the last week. The frustrating thing is that these guys are not going to sit long, if at all.

Here is the pics... https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/102045-baakens-valley-bikejacking-port-elizabeth

The cops in Holland did this after loads of bikes were being stolen, they fitted a bike with a tracker/gps and left it laying around. The same could be done here but the majority of our cops are fat, lazy and thick so it probabaly won't work, odds are it will be a cop that wogs it anyway!

I see they were given 600 odd cars for patrols, I wonder how many will be 'stolen' or simply vanish!

On the Magicshine UK site, I saw a GPS bike tracking device, disguised as a bike tail light, see: http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/GPS-ANTI-THEFT-Tracker-device---FOR-BIKES!/4719-v

funny... I have been thinking about this last week. I wanted to design and make my own one for bicycles

Thinking about the last weeks worth of criminal activity, i am re-thinking my early morning rides. it's difficult to vary one's route especially when pressed for time. But thinking back, i keep on seeing the same guys (pedestrians) on the route we ride on, it's very easy to realize a pattern in our riding schedule, and route.

Only alternative is to vary route, and days riding.(obviously this requires more recce work on weekends - reserved for longer rides)

Are bike parks the only alternative for safe training (and then not even 100%) ??

Time to dust off the indoor trainer and train in front of the telly.

Guys, seriously, civilized people are not welcome in Africa. The sooner you realise that and get the hell out of that shithole, the better. I mean, it's not like they're being subtle about it or anything. Take the massive hints. AA/EE/BBEEE, farmer genocide, land reform, nationalisation, wanton theft of everything (they even steal entire buildings, I mean, where in your life?), criminal government, stupid police force. Even when Helen Zille is right, she is wrong. Why? Because that is Africa and that is how Africa works. Africans like their governance 'that way'; their notion of governance (or, rather, rule) is very different to that of the Western European. There are 53 countries in Africa; below the Sahel, which is in effect a dividing point, the outcomes for post-colonial countries is depressingly consistent - and just plain depressing.

If you want to see what an African country looks like without (or with very few) Europeans, go to Malawi, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Swaziland, Lesotho. I single these ones out, because I've been there. What you will find is chaos, poverty, filth, mere anarchy (a nod to William Butler Yeats, for those who are interested), corruption, potholes, shaky electricity supply, no policing, no healthcare, dangerous water....hang on, did this rant start to sound familiar towards the end?

That's because South Africa isn't on it's way to a banana republic. It is ALREADY a banana republic. It is, to quote something they used to print on maps of Rhodesia back in the good old days, 'Not fit for habitation by white men' (that's a historical fact. I prefer the more inclusive 'civilized men').

Anyway. Greener grass and all that. I went for a ride on the road on Sunday, 54km, not a pothole. Not a bikejacker. Not a worry. The grass IS greener here. And I would encourage you to take heed of the glaringly obvious messages being sent to you by your government; the sooner, the better for you. It takes a lot to move countries but by god it is worth it.

Edited by intern

Anyway. Greener grass and all that. I went for a ride on the road on Sunday, 54km, not a pothole. Not a bikejacker. Not a worry. The grass IS greener here. And I would encourage you to take heed of the glaringly obvious messages being sent to you by your government; the sooner, the better for you. It takes a lot to move countries but by god it is worth it.

You hiring???

I can be there in about 4 weeks.... :thumbup:

Or next week at a push :ph34r: