Epic theme this year

kosmonooit

Dont know how many of you feel the same way, but I was quite disturbed about the theme used in advertising the Cape Epic 2011, that being military / war / battle. Although I don't watch DSTV and generally spared mass media advertising, I caught some of the daily summaries at the gym, and also couldn't help but notice ads at Woolworths and in the press.

War is terrible. In most cases senseless. How can they use this theme, for a bike race / adventure? Sure the event is an ordeal, and a test of strength often to the extreme. But war is more that an ordeal. It's a life shattering horror for most, we should never forget it. We should respect it, and respect the memory of those that have suffered, mostly innocent people. Perhaps that's the problem, we have forgotten.

I am not saying some wars are not unnecessary, but some, like the horrors of the WW1 could have been avoided. And without WW1 there would not have had WW2. (Ever seen "All quite on the Western Front"?). My one grandfather, whom I never met, was in those trenches. I have lived longer than him, he was a totally shattered person when he returned, suffering from 'Shell Shock'. Just one of the millions.

etc etc etc

Not that I am a pacifist. I would fight if absolutely necessary. I just feel this glorification of war has to be challenged and rejected. And it certainly has no place in the promotion of our beloved sport of cycling.

Anyone feel the same? Prepared to co-sign an open letter to the man at the tjop?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you just complain about the price like everyone else?

bwahahahaha

PS I thought it was quite clever...but that's just me

Jeez Mampara you are really living up to your name

'He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it'

Thanks for the support guys.

So we should ban everything that's consciously or unconsciously got anything to do war? Ban paint ball, all the toy guns from toy shops and all the tiny little moulded army men.

I thought it was good clever marketing before the event...but wow did I get fed up of those adds once the Epic started

You would have done better to blame someone for not paying you if you want support

No, you were the only one that was disturbed. Why would something like this bother you.

:clap:

I will order bulk if it ever comes on the market.

It is on the market, www.zefshop.co.za of so iets?