• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Einstein and Ghandi were influential...the rest were just famous. Ok, perhaps Al Gore as well....

Ah, so it's Al then...

Sorry cptmayhem, here are some really sad ones (especially as you've got baby mayhem). But I'm with Stretch; there's a kind of poetry in the passing of the seasons, and some melancholy. I guess they're also reminders of how small we are, and how puny our civilisations. Nature shrugs us off.

Maybe the "Old Days" thread brought all this up.

post-14151-0-04665100-1355510902_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-38879900-1355510929_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-12488000-1355510963_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-72876800-1355510996_thumb.jpg

Ah, so it's Al then...

All Gore latched onto a concept that most people will not dispute or oppose and used that to make himself millions....I bet you his carbon footprint is bigger than the average American....I can think of a whole heap of other people than should be on that list instead of him....considering Nelson is not even there

Edited by Stretch

Sorry cptmayhem, here are some really sad ones (especially as you've got baby mayhem). But I'm with Stretch; there's a kind of poetry in the passing of the seasons, and some melancholy. I guess they're also reminders of how small we are, and how puny our civilisations. Nature shrugs us off.

Maybe the "Old Days" thread brought all this up.

Nah dude, I dig the melancholic quality of them. Almost a commentary on the "days that were", a reminder that nothing is forever. Everything is temporary, nothing permanent, despite how we protest.

And yes, what you said as well...

Oh yeah, totally. But imagine being able to take them and restore them to their former glory...

Would love to do that...but I do like the way turbo had put it. It amazes me that people allow buildings to get like that..never again will you see the attention to detail in these old buildings. Interestingly enough I was driving post an old abandoned art deco building the other day and think how awesome it would be to photograph it.

In Durban in the 90s there used to be the "raves" (not the boof boof kind) organised in abandoned wharehouses and it was awesome...complete with old apartheid signs on the wall etc etc

Would love to do that...but I do like the way turbo had put it. It amazes me that people allow buildings to get like that..never again will you see the attention to detail in these old buildings. Interestingly enough I was driving post an old abandoned art deco building the other day and think how awesome it would be to photograph it.

In Durban in the 90s there used to be the "raves" (not the boof boof kind) organised in abandoned wharehouses and it was awesome...complete with old apartheid signs on the wall etc etc

100%

as strange as it may seem, there's a new McD's just down the road from me, in Wynberg. They've lovingly restored the external structure, even building complete new sections, in the way that the building used to be approx 80 - 90 years ago when it was originally built. Tin roof, complete with gable & window arches and full period features.

It's a beautiful study on how buildings should be respected and appreciated. It's even painted in the same way it would have been back then - gray and white. And I can't help but appreciate the fact that someone on the committee would have championed the cause...

On the same note, here are some pics of Chernobyl

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width_scaled/hash/64/f8/64f8dd098ed713f138900e3ee38a3640.jpg

Ian Ference, a photographer and historian living in New York, has spent nearly four years documenting the remains of North Brother Island, a 13-acre piece of land sandwiched between Riker's Island and the Bronx in the East River that's been abandoned since 1963.

During the first half of the 20th century, North Brother "was home to the quarantine hospital that housed Typhoid Mary, was the final destination of the General Slocum during its tragic final voyage, and was the site of an experimental drug treatment program which failed due to corruption," according to Ference.

Today, the island is off limits to the general public. From March through September, it serves as a nesting ground for a number of endangered seabirds.

IDK y i love those staircases , balustrades ,wrought iron work...timeless workmanship thumbup1.gif