I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

People laughed at me when I told them I collect vinyl records .

Couple of years ago when my parent moved they threw out a helluva lot of records (a lot of it was stuff they didnt even like. Which they got from an old library that got closed in Calitzdorp)

Amongst it was REM out of time, johhny cash, couple of michael jackson albums, led zeplin album etc etc. loads of cool stuff

They just sold it to a guy without asking me if i want it. "What would you want to do with old records?"

Man i used to love to listen to those stuff!

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of years ago when my parent moved they threw out a helluva lot of records (a lot of it was stuff they didnt even like. Which they got from an old library that got closed in Calitzdorp)

Amongst it was REM out of time, johhny cash, couple of michael jackson albums, led zeplin album etc etc. loads of cool stuff

They just sold it to a guy without asking me if i want it. "What would you want to do with old records?"

Man i used to love to listen to those stuff!

The thing is this, and what these articles don't mention.

People buy records for the sound quality, the audiophile community kept it alive and opened the door for a revival.

Now we have yuppies and hipsters buying records because "it's cool" some purists hate this, I say embrace it .

Reason for that, more records are being remastered and released and new titles are being pressed because of the demand.

The majority will never experience what the format is capable of, they buy these Crossley units and other low budget turntables and never get to experience the high resolution ability the format has to offer.

To get what they cut in to those grooves nowadays you need a good turntable with a high quality tone-arm and a good cartridge strapped to the end of that arm.

Once you have that you need a phono stage to amplify that micro signal.

That all costs quite a bit of money, and once people see the trouble they have to go through, you find them right back at the App Store .

People buy records for the sound quality, the audiophile community kept it alive and opened the door for a revival.

Now we have yuppies and hipsters buying records because "it's cool" some purists hate this, I say embrace it .

Reason for that, more records are being remastered and released and new titles are being pressed because of the demand.

The majority will never experience what the format is capable of, they buy these Crossley units and other low budget turntables and never get to experience the high resolution ability the format has to offer.

To get what they cut in to those grooves nowadays you need a good turntable with a high quality tone-arm and a good cartridge strapped to the end of that arm.

That all costs quite a bit of money, and once people see the trouble they have to go through, you find them right back at the App Store .

Man I lust over some of the systems, I have a realy realy k@k turn table atm but the thing with records is it just seems to have more personality than a cd. I listen to punk rock and my old Ramones records get played more than the cd. It also takes me to being a kid chillin on the couch with my parents and listening to records. The same goes for tapes, I wish I never chucked my tapes away. Any way mabey one day I can have a setup like yours cause man that is AWESOME!!

Oh, what I would give for a complete Pink Floyd collection on vinyl........Wyatt? You there?

Oh, what I would give for a complete Pink Floyd collection on vinyl........Wyatt? You there?

I am here .

The only PF album I still need on vinyl is Endless River.

Man I lust over some of the systems, I have a realy realy k@k turn table atm but the thing with records is it just seems to have more personality than a cd. I listen to punk rock and my old Ramones records get played more than the cd. It also takes me to being a kid chillin on the couch with my parents and listening to records. The same goes for tapes, I wish I never chucked my tapes away. Any way mabey one day I can have a setup like yours cause man that is AWESOME!!

I built it up from when I was 16, never bought a car till I was in my 30's.

Music was more important to me  :thumbup:

I still have my beady eye on my Mums original collection of Elvis & Beatles 78' s, some classic stuff there.

I built it up from when I was 16, never bought a car till I was in my 30's.

Music was more important to me :thumbup:

I was similar. Worked in a hifi shop as a student and my current car was the first to approach the cost of my hifi. Never really stopped buying music on vinyl.