I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

After that I went (and stayed) with a Td5 diesel, but boy oh boy, it took some time to get used to not getting in a hurry! The patience I learnt came in handy though, when it was time to teach my boys to drive. Put it in low range on the farm and all you gave to worry about is that they may unearth a gate post or two.

post-17716-0-29425800-1586341490_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it... a lot. The initial reviews look very good, especially off-road capabilities. Land Rover invited a bunch of international motoring journalists to Namibia for a few days recently to test the vehicles, including Van Zyls Pass. There are a few YouTube videos. All were very positive.

Have to wait for long-terms tests though

Been reading and viewing so many reviews, all very complimentary and so few criticisms.

And this is the only modern vehicle I can think of that makes white steel wheels look cool - love it!

My first Defender. A 2.8 petrol. Had enough power to pull away and make all 4 tyres squeal, but  if you did that too often you ended up with an empty petrol tank waaaay before you expected. Was great fun though. Could actually keep its speed uphill and upwind, storm the dunes with just about anything and tow a bulldozer sideways - but again, you had to carry extra jerry cans of fuel. Really regret selling that one.

I had a Series III,then a County 3.5L V8 Petrol which had a Spanish box which packed in.Replaced it and sold it back to Safari Centre for what I originally paid for it.

Swore never again after that.

My favorite landrover, 1) I was young and like DJR said thought it was cool and MUCH more importantly 2) it had a 24 barrel spider shotgun on the roof that I really really wanted to try!  never did  :angry:

post-41145-0-17436700-1586350635_thumb.jpg

My favorite landrover, 1) I was young and like DJR said thought it was cool and MUCH more importantly 2) it had a 24 barrel spider shotgun on the roof that I really really wanted to try!  never did  :angry:

attachicon.gif1980 Rouxdale shed.jpg

Must've been Zim, they came up with crazy megafters like that?

After that I went (and stayed) with a Td5 diesel, but boy oh boy, it took some time to get used to not getting in a hurry! The patience I learnt came in handy though, when it was time to teach my boys to drive. Put it in low range on the farm and all you gave to worry about is that they may unearth a gate post or two.

Yoh! You can smell the concentration!

Learned to drive sitting on dads lap steering series III landies, no power steering then and a turning circle like an oil tanker so there were several gate post and bush incidents, my sister has a prized photo of a landie protruding near vertically from a hole being dug for a fuel tank that I managed to reverse into as well  :whistling:

Had a series of the diesels and they were absolute camels, you could get out, have a smoke and walk after them om a steep hill, forget overtaking anything not animal drawn. They had a top spedd of about 80 if you had ear plugs and and required a lot of "active steering correction".  Very prone to air locks, lived with an 8mm spanner in the dash for bleeding.  Kept a fleet of them going till the mid 90's.

Then started breaking down further from home with a fleet of Tdi's and TD5's in E Africa.

Learned to drive sitting on dads lap steering series III landies, no power steering then and a turning circle like an oil tanker so there were several gate post and bush incidents, my sister has a prized photo of a landie protruding near vertically from a hole being dug for a fuel tank that I managed to reverse into as well  :whistling:

Had a series of the diesels and they were absolute camels, you could get out, have a smoke and walk after them om a steep hill, forget overtaking anything not animal drawn. They had a top spedd of about 80 if you had ear plugs and and required a lot of "active steering correction".  Very prone to air locks, lived with an 8mm spanner in the dash for bleeding.  Kept a fleet of them going till the mid 90's.

Then started breaking down further from home with a fleet of Tdi's and TD5's in E Africa.

Come on, go dig for pictures, we have time!  :thumbup:

Come on, go dig for pictures, we have time!  :thumbup:

Been doing some scanning so have so old ones to hand, would have to deep dive for E Africa.  Seems we had a job lot of brown paint for rebuilds.

post-41145-0-18047100-1586357152_thumb.jpg

Then a job lot of green paint, must have been on special...Anyway too many landrover pictures are extremely bad for your health, will have to ration you to these for now  ;)

post-41145-0-70275000-1586357210_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-79669700-1586357522_thumb.jpg

post-41145-0-33057900-1586357549_thumb.jpg

Edited by geomark