The 29'er vs 26'er Poll

Just Keep Pedaling

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 29er a better buy for your money than a 26er?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't have any money.

LOL! The pulling away with ease bit is thanks to your extra training, not the bigger wheels.

Agreed. If the difference between any options of bike and suspension is more than 1% I'd be impressed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So right, Eldron! I'm a 6er devotee at the moment, purely because I don't see the need to migrate to something different purely because everyone else says it's fantastic. Plus, it works for me! And I love my bike. Pure & simple. The amount of training I could do to improve my riding (read fitness levels) would GROSSLY outweigh any potential advantage I could gain through moving to a lighter bike.

Give that man a bells!

If you are in the market for a new bike by all means consider a 29er.....as well as soft/hard/dual, shimano or sram, carbon or alu, flat or riser bars etc.

If you sell your 26er to buy a 29er hoping you'll turn into Jaroslav then you're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment!

Eldron you know just how to crush a man's hopes :whistling: :blush:

My bad!

I retract my previous comments and replace them with:

A 29er duallie with a 2x10 chainset can crush small worlds and turn Mr. Joe Average into Burry Stander in 30 seconds. Buy one! Now!

:D

My bad!

I retract my previous comments and replace them with:

A 29er duallie with a 2x10 chainset can crush small worlds and turn Mr. Joe Average into Burry Stander in 30 seconds. Buy one! Now!

And that is the absolutely most bestest thing ever about 29ers. Some old roadie toppie recently asked me what MTB to get, obviously by MTB be meant a 29er, and since he was riding in Cyclelab kit it came as little surprise that he mentioned he was looking only at GF Trek or Niner. So this is the easy bit, I could just tell him they are ALL so orgasm inducingly awesome it does not even matter what you get, as long as it is a 29er! Woop Woop

I have a d suspension 29er. One of the biggest criticism is weight. The interesting part is that I like to pick up other 26er bikes (non carbon) and try to feel the difference. I cant. Its the same. The conclusion I came to is that your 26er is probably heavier than what you think. And what does this have to do with the 26 vs 29 er debate? Nothing - but its a nice place to hang my topic. :)

And that is the absolutely most bestest thing ever about 29ers. Some old roadie toppie recently asked me what MTB to get, obviously by MTB be meant a 29er, and since he was riding in Cyclelab kit it came as little surprise that he mentioned he was looking only at GF Trek or Niner. So this is the easy bit, I could just tell him they are ALL so orgasm inducingly awesome it does not even matter what you get, as long as it is a 29er! Woop Woop

That is one of the hardest things to get used to when riding a 29er for the first time - the multiple orgasms. Yes women - men can now have multiple orgams. Great aint it?

:D :D :D :D

I have a d suspension 29er. One of the biggest criticism is weight. The interesting part is that I like to pick up other 26er bikes (non carbon) and try to feel the difference. I cant. Its the same. The conclusion I came to is that your 26er is probably heavier than what you think. And what does this have to do with the 26 vs 29 er debate? Nothing - but its a nice place to hang my topic. :)

After some hectic surfing and calculatoring I worked out that my Giant XTC 29 was 700g heavier than if it was a Giant XTC 26 with exactly the same components.

A couple grams each for wheels, tyres, extra sealant, longer fork, additional frame tube - all adds up to 700g. Or 0.777% of the total package if you're a percentage kinda guy...

After some hectic surfing and calculatoring I worked out that my Giant XTC 29 was 700g heavier than if it was a Giant XTC 26 with exactly the same components.

A couple grams each for wheels, tyres, extra sealant, longer fork, additional frame tube - all adds up to 700g. Or 0.777% of the total package if you're a percentage kinda guy...

You have too much time on your hands to get this kind of info.

...not quite my point. My point is that your avverage 26er is heavy. As heavy as a 29er or heavier. Dont believe it? Next time you stand next to an oak with a 29er pick it up and see. I also see in the mags that any bike over 11 kg is rated as porky. So only the most expensive and exotic bikes get good review on weight?

That is one of the hardest things to get used to when riding a 29er for the first time - the multiple orgasms. Yes women - men can now have multiple orgams. Great aint it?

:D :D :D :D

So clowns can also have orgasms?...who would have thought.

The problem is that although the 29er is heavier than my current 26er my wallet is not - so for the immediate future I am stuck with my 26er, luckily I enjoy it.

...not quite my point. My point is that your avverage 26er is heavy. As heavy as a 29er or heavier. Dont believe it? Next time you stand next to an oak with a 29er pick it up and see. I also see in the mags that any bike over 11 kg is rated as porky. So only the most expensive and exotic bikes get good review on weight?

There is no getting around the fact that 29ers are heavier than 26ers. Sure an expensive 29er will be lighter than a cheap 26er but if you compare apples and apples the 29er will always be heavier...

I think 29ers get mixed reviews because of the bias of the reviewer rather than because of the weight.

@iron - yes, yes I do :P

So clowns can also have orgasms?...who would have thought.

Duh - why do you think they have that smile permanently plastered all over their face?