Disc brakes: Mechanical vs Hydraulic

divernick

41 members have voted

1. 1. Mechanical or Hydraulic brakes - which is better on a budget?

• Mechanical, like Avid BB7's
    • Hydraulic, like Avid Juicy 3's

Ok, I had mechanical disc brakes on my bike for a few years. The only issue I had with it was that when the pad wears, then you need to adjust spacing so that you can have maximum braking power. Other than that it worked, I weigh a 100kg and these managed to stop me. I replaced mine recently because I failed to readjust the spacing and had a fall. Yes the v brake is a much better option

Edited by Riyadh

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I have and you wont be dissapointed

I have the same setup on my Silverback Mercury1. Works very well and you will not be dissapointed as MTBer wannabee said.

What about if you get a decent deal on a bike and it has mech discs? Is it worthwhile, cause to upgrade to hyd discs from mech discs is easier and cheaper than from V's to hyd discs? I mean you already have the correct hubs, discs, mounting for a caliper, and with V's you might need new hubs/wheels/fork, even a frame if the frame is V only?

You are so right !! Why would you wanna buy a bike with V-Brakes if you intend to upgrade to Hydro disks at some stage ? I agree that mechanical disk brakes are not very good BUT they still beat those stupid rim brakes by a mile !!

Had Shimano mechanical discs on a hardtail about 6 years ago. They were such a pain in the asre that I sold the stupid bike and bought one with good V-brakes (Avids)that outperformed the mec. discs every time, even in the wet. Have since moved to hydraulic discs and they are far superior to even the best V's.

Obviously hydraulic disk brakes are better, but Ive always believed that they are just "very-nice-to-haves" on a mountain bike. They make it much easier and nicer to brake. But your brakes aren't usually your limiting factor in slowing down. It's more often your tyres on the dirt (in my opinion).

Thats what I have and you wont be dissapointed

+1

I just have 180mm CL rotors - works for me!

Also consider Shimano Deore M595.

They are the third most powerful disc brake on the market according to the Bikeradar dyno tests.....maybe not the best feel, but powerful! and cheap!

My tuppence: the only place for mechanical disks is on a tandem on the road. They work well there, but off road you can forget it...

Obviously hydraulic disk brakes are better, but Ive always believed that they are just "very-nice-to-haves" on a mountain bike. They make it much easier and nicer to brake. But your brakes aren't usually your limiting factor in slowing down. It's more often your tyres on the dirt (in my opinion).

I disagree. Disks "bite" properly and do not fade in wet and mud. IMHO: they are a hell of a lot safer...

I am glad you highlighted the "usually". It's not the "usually" bits I rely on my disks for. It's the

"unusual" ones...

Edited by jmaccelari

Ok............so everybody agrees mechanical discs are rubbish, but what is it that they do or don't do that makes them rubbish?

Ok............so everybody agrees mechanical discs are rubbish, but what is it that they do or don't do that makes them rubbish?

The cables clog up with mud.

That's why they're good on tandems. You don't see much mud on the roads...

Except in Johannesburg.

Those "nice to have" brakes can be the difference between hitting a tree or not. I would rather not hit a tree at 40km/h ;) I would not trust anything else on a MTB

Guest agteros

Try going down the top section of Sani pass with mechanical disk brakes! It will convert you to hydraulic disks immediately ;)

When not if you buy hydraulic brakes, make sure that they are the dual piston items. DON'T buy the single piston ones because they are cheaper. You WILL be sorry! I hade some Hayes So1e with the single piston calipers... cr@p pretty much sums them up (still better than mechanicals or v-brakes though). You have to keep adjusting them when the pad wears.

• 2 months later...