Riding etiquette at Groenkloof

Dirtracker

Haven't been to Groenies in a while. The reason being is that I don't think it is the ideal place to do training. Just to go for fun with a group of friends to ride, it is an awsome place.

Catching slower riders on the single track, which there is plenty off, breaks my rhythem and speed. And even though I always ask nicely: "Track please" I can't help but think that the guy I just passed thinks I am a chop.

You always get the one circus patato that refuses to "keep left" or "yield track" eventhough it is safe for him to do so. And then when you pass he will have some snotty remark as you do so. Depending on what kind off remark was made, and how the racing is going, I will either go back and tell him to go and f...you know what I mean, or I will just keep going and ignore him.

This issue will always have two sides. The best thing to do is to keep your side CLEAN!

TRACK PLEASE! Thanks!!!

Edited by MJ loves MTB

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groenies is great, was there both days last weekend and went like the clappers until I catch slower riders and then wait my turn to get past. No mess, no fuss. Only once in 3H did one lady just park in the middle of the single-track so I don't feel bad going (safely) past her at warp-speed and 'buzzing the tower' a bit.

Some guy even caught me on the back-end switchbacks, which I wasn't doing slowly either, but he never asked to get past so I kept on pushing.

It's also great for training depending on what you want to train on the day. If you want to do technical LSD (I know, those two are mutually exclusive) then take your girlfriend or family there and have a great time. If you want high intensity technical stuff, take your teammate there, look for all the ups and downs, and let the fun begin.

Ingo

Agree , Groenkloof is as good a training spot as you will find anywhere . Normally on a Thursday morning I am first out on the trail and is the one who break all the spider webs crossing the paths . Even on the Sunday rides I have never felt that I was held back for such a long time that I have waisted half a hour of training time . But if there is a better safer spot to do training I would like to know about it .

• 3 weeks later...

Agree , Groenkloof is as good a training spot as you will find anywhere . Normally on a Thursday morning I am first out on the trail and is the one who break all the spider webs crossing the paths . Even on the Sunday rides I have never felt that I was held back for such a long time that I have waisted half a hour of training time . But if there is a better safer spot to do training I would like to know about it .

Ha! That used to be me (for obvious reasons I have not been riding groenies for more than a year and a half)...at least 4 times a week I used to be there at the crack of dawn! It is the best time, fresh trails, no one around so you can go like hell and all the spider web's you can eat!! Damm I miss that place!!!

Get yourself one of these... it works every time and you'll have enough time to say thanks as you go by.

http://www.nycbicycleshop.com/31-360-large/incredibell-bicycle-bell-triple.jpg

Obviously not to be used on single track where it is virtually impossible for someone to pull over.

it gets interesting if you have one of those with a broken spring, so if the terrain gets rocky, it rings by itself ... making people get out of the way ... especially on downhills, when they can't understand how you can handle the bike AND ring the bell ... so now you have to pass whether you wanted to or not ... so if you DO decide to get one of those, make sure to replace it when the spring goes :D

it gets interesting if you have one of those with a broken spring, so if the terrain gets rocky, it rings by itself ... making people get out of the way ... especially on downhills, when they can't understand how you can handle the bike AND ring the bell ... so now you have to pass whether you wanted to or not ... so if you DO decide to get one of those, make sure to replace it when the spring goes :D

+1! I have a bell on my rigid SS and I took it off after a few rides on bumpy ground because it was irritating the *** out of me - with a rigid fork the bell rings even if the spring is brand new.

Ahhh Groenies - I love that place. I can't undrstand why there are any overtaking issues at all - most of the single track is so short that 45 seconds of patience means you're back on the fire road and can easily pass.

That said - the people that do realise I'm behind them move over on the slower sections to let me through - without me even having to ask...

Thanks everyone!

I have been racing for the last 2 years so I do understand the etiquette and "snorting" factor but when you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning I want to bliksem him. Oh and a thank you for giving track or getting out thee way would also be appreciated.

Yeah dont care how fast you think you are, If I come up behind someone, I actually slow down to their pace, invariably they turn off for me without having to ask for track, and I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS face them and say thank you. So what if my ride gets delayed by 20 seconds. And I would never consider snorthing behind someone WTF?

And if they are really noobs and dont pull over eventually, whats wrong with politly asking if I may pass? A little manners and etiquette goes a long way towards and enjoyable ride for all.

And if im on ST and there are slower riders enjoying it, even though they are a bit slow, I tend to pull over give them a minute headstart and check if can catch up again. I repeat that little excersize till the end of the ST or till theres a section where its safe to pass. Why should they pull over for me just becuase they are slower? they have just as much right to enjoy a bit of ST than i do.

• 3 weeks later...

We are riding for more than 17 years now and Sunday was the first time a slower rider was offended by the generally accepted "track please" at Groenkloof. We saw a group which got stuck at the rocky section on the first part of the track where most people usually dismount. We said "track please" from a distance to give them enough time to get out of the way in order for us to cross the obstacle without hurting anyone. So this group started calling us names and shouted "lets see how you see your ass" and this track is for social riding not for assholes like you. Much to their disgrace we crossed the obstacle with great "panashe" - by the way I'm a girl. In the many years I cycled this was the first incident with a funrider - or lets rather say "slower rider". I will not get upset about this but next time I see him and his buddies on the track I will defenitely NOT say Track please......

We are riding for more than 17 years now and Sunday was the first time a slower rider was offended by the generally accepted "track please" at Groenkloof. We saw a group which got stuck at the rocky section on the first part of the track where most people usually dismount. We said "track please" from a distance to give them enough time to get out of the way in order for us to cross the obstacle without hurting anyone. So this group started calling us names and shouted "lets see how you see your ass" and this track is for social riding not for assholes like you. Much to their disgrace we crossed the obstacle with great "panashe" - by the way I'm a girl. In the many years I cycled this was the first incident with a funrider - or lets rather say "slower rider". I will not get upset about this but next time I see him and his buddies on the track I will defenitely NOT say Track please......

Theres just no satisfying some folk .... Riding with Intern and his wife at Teak one time, we had a similar problem pass ing the one slower rider.

After the obligatory "Track please, howsit bud" the oke accelerates as soon as he notices Intern's wife passing him, trying to keep her in the long grass. Too bad for him she's rather quick and semi-switched him rather nicely.

Twas a beautiful thing to watch.

Best time for Groenies is Sat pm - place clears out, I wonder why :o

Just be careful on the way home of drunk rugby fans post-match , esp. if their team lost. I still got a ding on my bakkie from some wasted youth driving behind me who goied my tailgate with a beer bottle for no apparent reason.

I usually go on a sunday late-ish in the morning. Most of the slower riders seem to be on the course then. Not a problem for me, as I'm one of the bit faster riders. If I know I'm near the end of a single track, I just wait it out patiently then pass the rider with the simple "Hi, How are you?".

Sometimes I would even go out of my way and help someone if the are struggling to ride an obstacle. Giving some friendly advice and pointers.

Only incident I have had with a non-friendly rider is when I came of that rocky section after the wooden bridge. Come down the rocky section at my pace noticing some guys riding on the XC part parallel to that trail. So I continue, untill I come out to the part when the two trail meet and continue as one. So I come out with the last guy in the group, he doesn't like me going my speed so nearly rides me over as to say, "don't even think of pushing in", like "whatever tjop", so I follow them out that section riding nicely behind them, at there speed, not trying to push them out of the way. So half way up the track the whole group stops and lets me pass, how nice I thought.

Well thats where the niceness ended. The one oke tune me: "Leke, windgat riding your bike so fast"

That has to be the best comment I have ever heard.

So if anyone is aware of a speed limit on the singletrack, I'm not, please kindly inform me of it. :thumbup:

Ja grapjas !

There are guys running on the bike trails, please klap them with your bottle and the same goes for people riding on the hiking trails, they are quieter than the mtb trails so it's gonna take some time before help arrives for you ;)

I've done a fair bit of riding at Groenies, never had issues with slower riders, they usually give way and I thank them and keep hammering :thumbup:

If someone comes up behind me I always ask if they want to pass, mostly they dont. Slipstreamers hey.... :lol:

I run and ride, alot of times i get guys cycling on running paths and the other way around , just make a plan and get along, it's attidude like this that we dont wan tto see out there

there is acctualy a speed limit on strack...... FLATOUT ALL THE WAY!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I run and ride, alot of times i get guys cycling on running paths and the other way around , just make a plan and get along, it's attidude like this that we dont wan tto see out there

My main issue is that bikes can cause allot of damage to the paths that aren't made for them and I wouldn't want to see MTB'ing as a whole being banned in the reserve because people are ignorant/don't care/don't obey the rules etc. and end up ruining the trails, giving us a bad rep or hurting someone. I also run there allot. The bottle comment was tongue in cheeck though...

a year ago some oke tuned me to "ride my bike or f-off" as he was going past...not cool..