What to have for breakfast on race day??

Johnstoneighty6

Same as above. Just about all my rides are in fasted state. Normally not even the cup of coffee mentioned above.

It’s up, brush teeth, make bottle and ride.

I guess my body is used to it, I feel more sluggish if I eat first.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't find a dedicated thread to my question but this one is close enough.

So usually my weekday morning routine is get up at latest 04H00, have a double shot cappuccino, then have breakfast and leave on my commute to work. If I plan on riding further than just to work I wake up a little earlier but the routine is the same.

This morning I over slept and woke up at 04h36 according to garmin connect. It was a rush and I decided to skip breakfast, still had the cappuccino though. I thought my ride was going to be tough but I felt fine and in fact pushed slightly harder.

Got to work and then had breakfast and have felt fine all day.

So I decided to google riding without breakfast and it's actually a training technique!!!! For various reasons and you need to ride accordingly depending on what you want to achieve but I learnt something new and I think I might be doing this a bit more often.

So who else does rides without having breakfast and why?

IMTG. Most coaches give these rides often in a block. Riding in a fasted state should be in zone 2 to gain maximum effects. Can get away for around 4 hours in a fasted state.

Same as above. Just about all my rides are in fasted state. Normally not even the cup of coffee mentioned above.

It’s up, brush teeth, make bottle and ride.

I guess my body is used to it, I feel more sluggish if I eat first.

Exactly - it's personal.

I normally have a bowl of Futurelife and a cup of coffee and that works for me. Find what works for you and then stick to it.

Have any of you tried future life.... It's almost to good in taste.... But I'm wondering if it's any good for pre race??? See it's actually sponsoring a few events around SA lately...

Future Life is utter useless.  It does not last even on a non race day and tastes like crap.

For an event like upcoming Cape Cycle Tour  I will have to eat something before the time because I am definitely not going to start at 5am and probably only at around 8?     - then ride until around 12 - So I think a nice big bowl of Pronutro before and some bits of snack during will do the job.

The main reason why I have coffee before my early morning weekend rides is to (jokes aside) get my stomach to go before the ride.  Coffee does always perform the magic very well for me and I'd much prefer it to happen before rather than during my ride  ^_^

Future Life is utter useless.  It does not last even on a non race day and tastes like crap.

Each to their own...

I never have breakfast.

I have only a cup of black coffee before I commute (cycle) to the office. ;) 

On some days I cycle back home without having had anything the entire day. I do intermittent fasting. On fasting days I'll do the ride home a bit more relaxed else I bomb around 20km of the 38km commute. :ph34r:   

Two bricks Weet bix with some raisins been working for me for a long time.  Even with the ex-Argus years, stayed the same, and it worked, with date balls as well on the road.

So usually my weekday morning routine is get up at latest 04H00, have a double shot cappuccino, then have breakfast and leave on my commute to work. If I plan on riding further than just to work I wake up a little earlier but the routine is the same.

This morning I over slept and woke up at 04h36 according to garmin connect. It was a rush and I decided to skip breakfast, still had the cappuccino though. I thought my ride was going to be tough but I felt fine and in fact pushed slightly harder.

Got to work and then had breakfast and have felt fine all day.

So I decided to google riding without breakfast and it's actually a training technique!!!! For various reasons and you need to ride accordingly depending on what you want to achieve but I learnt something new and I think I might be doing this a bit more often.

I do most of the time. I don’t like feeling full when exercising. But I don’t take training to seriously so I take some snacks or money and stop to eat when I get hungry.

I eat Futurelife every day, except when I go for a ride early in the morning, then I eat Pronutro.  Futurelife does not go well with my stomach when I cycle.

DUATHLON event tomorrow, 5am wake up.... 5km run, 40km bike, 2.5km run... What is the best meal to have for breakfast, how big and when????

One day event: most important - do not over-nutrition but keep hydrated (water).

Like most said above, have what you have every day about an hour before start. Don't gum and goo and game before or during the race - those things are loaded with sugar and besides for clever marketing they are good for nothing.

And lastly, I believe in a banana like Faf believes in a box kick...