What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?

FABNOW

What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite SA Cycling Magazine?

• Ride Mag
    • Tread Mag
    • Bicycling Mag
    • Do It Now Mag
    • gomulti mag
    • other

My pet hate with Bicycling is the "africanisation" of american articles - or sometimes they just don't bother and you end up with gems like "how to take corners quickly" in the latest edition.

If I took corners like they recommended I'd be on the wrong side of the road dodging cars head on to get the best line like in the picture.

FFS people if you are going to stick a Rand price on the front and brag about being SA's biggest bicycle mag at least try and make it a bit local.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tread Mag I buy religously whenever it comes out. Always enjoy it. Love the recycled paper idea. :thumbup:

Ride mag I buy a couple times a year.

Only buy Bicycling if I am stuck at the Airport and have already read the other 2.

Somebody here mentioned Topcycle. I only ever saw 2 issues on the shelf. I guess they didn't last. I bought the second of the 2 issues and was really disappointed. They tested two road bikes, a Giant and a Mercx and they spoke more about the brand's history than the actual test itself.

Have to be honest though, last few issue I've read some really good feature articles in Bicycling, namely Neil Gardiner, the 29er shoot out was a bit so so to my tastes, but a good experimentation to try something different.

Ride I always enjoy Steve Shapiro's writings, likewise with Andy Ellis in Tread.

Have to be honest though, last few issue I've read some really good feature articles in Bicycling, namely Neil Gardiner, the 29er shoot out was a bit so so to my tastes, but a good experimentation to try something different.

Ride I always enjoy Steve Shapiro's writings, likewise with Andy Ellis in Tread.

+1 - the last Bicycling mag was their best ever.

Shapiro I must say I battle with a bit. The flowery language takes some digestion!

The Fixie article in a recent issue was cool, well written and good photography, same with the current issue's piece on rider's and their bikes.

Yeah, sometimes need to re-read his pieces, although maybe thats more to do with my comprehension :blush:

Tread is smelly......

Jeez and I thought I was the only one! That paper is nassty smelling indeed. I'm sure they bleach it at the same place Koeberg disposes of their spent fuel rods.... not very "green" of them... tsk, tsk

Bicycling Magazine is not even an arsewipe. The paper is too shiny to be effective even for that.

Yeah +1...billion! It's a bit much like Mens Health with a few gratuitous bike shots in it. The cherry on the cake for me was the recent issue where they had the "29er shootout" and then added the little caveat at the top of the article that the bikes were listed in alphabetical order so that nobody would get any ideas that they considered one to be better than the other. WTF!!!!? Is that not the purpose of a "shootout"? FFS grow a pair!

And on that rant, none of the local mags ever "score" any of the products they review, which does my bloody head in. Is the industry that small and/or fickle that the importers and other would-be ad space-takers would turn up their noses at a particular publication if it rated their pair of socks 6 out of 10, vs another pair at 8? Surely not, or am I just naive. What Mountain Bike, all the way for me!

To answer the question and if you meant printed magazine: I still buy Tread most months and read it cover to cover, at least they're trying and are slowly getting there... still no scoring though FFS!

Deep breath... and relax....

PS. Johan, I find that if you rub the pages together long enough you can rub the shiny coating off and then they do a passable job as "remover" as opposed to "spreader" when you're desperate in a Sani2c portaloo and discover the previous bastard dropped the last bog roll down the pit! :lol:

I buy Bicycling on subscription through Vitality ... I like it, although it is obviously an 'adaptation'. I always turn to Style Man first, for some reason, and love the reader tips. I don't like Ride - the layout give me a headache. Too much stuffed in? I subscribe to Do It Now but it's also too much ... even though it's free! As one poster has already indicated I'd like to see more about the other aspects of cycling, not just road and MTB (which I love) but also commuting and life with bikes generally. I am enjoying Tread (subscriber) and I've signed up to receive mtbmag online (www.mtbmag.co.za). Now I'm off to go find my copy of Tread to see how bad the paper smell. Hasn't noticed before.

Shapiro I must say I battle with a bit. The flowery language takes some digestion!

And I thought that I was the only who needed help to translate into english.

I did a Double Century race with Steve as a team mate and he talks as he writes. I had to pretend I was deaf in the one ear.

I said that to Meurant once and he replied that he is a Potter...... :unsure:

I had a few mates who were Potters and they were def off the wall

in normally buy Ride and bicycling and somtimes Tread aswell but i prefer the other two as i like to read about road an mtb

Go Multi is not a cycling or MTB magazine.

It is a multisport magazine.

Cycling is 1/4 of its influence. Running, swimming and paddling are the other major components.

Sorry, wait, what? Do you okes actually think whatever mag you buy is like gospel? I mean like "styleman" and whatever? You okes actually hang every word, don't you? WTF?

I buy Bicycling on subscription through Vitality ... I like it, although it is obviously an 'adaptation'. I always turn to Style Man first, for some reason, and love the reader tips. I don't like Ride - the layout give me a headache. Too much stuffed in? I subscribe to Do It Now but it's also too much ... even though it's free! As one poster has already indicated I'd like to see more about the other aspects of cycling, not just road and MTB (which I love) but also commuting and life with bikes generally. I am enjoying Tread (subscriber) and I've signed up to receive mtbmag online (www.mtbmag.co.za). Now I'm off to go find my copy of Tread to see how bad the paper smell. Hasn't noticed before.

Ah yeah, MTB Mag. Thieves, plagiarising content from other publications and thinking it's 'ok' since they credit them.

Difficult to run comparative bike tests or scoring as the advertisers are actually that sticky about it. Although lately there has actually been some scoring of bikes.