Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really felt for these guys, and made a point of LOOKING at them like it might be the last time. Scary to think that they are carrying about R2 million each on their noses because some idiots think toe nail clippings can give you an erection! :cursing: .  

post-17716-0-84538900-1436967191_thumb.jpg

Nice holiday pics.......what principles/thought process do you use in your photo composition?

Personally I have the same approach as when playing golf.........moer-en-soek becomes mik-en-druk.......like this one.

post-41755-0-67388500-1437061746_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

This little bastard stole my Lunch Bar :cursing: and peed on my wife from the treetops :D

Those little buggers. I got back to my rondawel at Satara one day to find 2 of them sitting in my fridge! All my food strewn around. I chased them away but they only scattered about 3 metres away and when I chucked a cushion at them - and missed - they looked at me as if to say "Yes?" "What?"

Got to laugh even if peed off...

Nice holiday pics.......what principles/thought process do you use in your photo composition?................

I like holiday pictures to tell the story of what I did. That means lots of pics of people doing stuff, with some background landscape to put it in context. A lot of it I cannot post here because for privacy reasons I don't post pictures of my children or family, or for that matter, anyone else (without permission). I like pictures that convey the atmosphere or the feeling of a place or a time. I like reflections, shadows, patterns formed by nature. I like pictures from high or low angles and unusual points of view. I have a soft spot for low light and night time pictures because of the mood that they often produce. I try my best to get up early to get the best light but I find that the gin & tonic often gets in the way of the late afternoon "golden hour". Otherwise I just shoot and ask questions later. Recently, my 2 boys also grab the camera and shoot from the hip. They come up with an interesting perspective of our holidays, very different from my own. Often the most telling pictures are from my little mik & druk compact waterproof that I carry everywhere in my pocket. Even if the quality is not as good as with the big Canon, it tends to get pictures "in the spur of the moment" that careful deliberate shooting will miss.

I like holiday pictures to tell the story of what I did. That means lots of pics of people doing stuff, with some background landscape to put it in context. A lot of it I cannot post here because for privacy reasons I don't post pictures of my children or family, or for that matter, anyone else (without permission). I like pictures that convey the atmosphere or the feeling of a place or a time. I like reflections, shadows, patterns formed by nature. I like pictures from high or low angles and unusual points of view. I have a soft spot for low light and night time pictures because of the mood that they often produce. I try my best to get up early to get the best light but I find that the gin & tonic often gets in the way of the late afternoon "golden hour". Otherwise I just shoot and ask questions later. Recently, my 2 boys also grab the camera and shoot from the hip. They come up with an interesting perspective of our holidays, very different from my own. Often the most telling pictures are from my little mik & druk compact waterproof that I carry everywhere in my pocket. Even if the quality is not as good as with the big Canon, it tends to get pictures "in the spur of the moment" that careful deliberate shooting will miss.

So awesome to have a big Canon. They almost take pictures by themselves.......point, zoom and shoot. What you see is what you get......easy.

Edited by BarHugger

Nice stuff VivekB. Good application of DoF and "Thirds rule". Focus is crisp.

Makes the evening dinner Sony Cell pic look very plain in comparison. Still need to learn a lot more.......and get a Canon.

Edited by BarHugger

Thanks BarHugger. Its fun playing with long lenses, but technique is important which I still need to master.

Still shooting with the old tech Canon 400L/5.6 prime. 20year old technology, but super fast AF and super sharp. Upgrading from this means 500/600L f4, which is R100k+ :thumbdown: