Fake merchandise...

bontie

Why is it that if someone tries to sell a fake Dogma (and calls it a "copy" he gets absolutely flamed (by myself too), and reported and the thread removed etc.

But fake and copied cycling clothing made by 7 year old chinese children gets people excited. These copies are knockoffs of kit designed and branded over many years. The fakes even have the same logo's on them and are advertised as the real thing??

But if JM or other ANC comrades win tenders they are called unethical.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mined fakes if they have a fake's price. It's when you charge original equipment price, when the crap starts. Don't charge me millions for a fake Renoir but I will pay R10.

well personally i have no problem with fake merchandising as long as the seller doesn't try sell it off as a real deal at the originals market prices.

i mean not everyone can afford the real deal. i mean as a student i cant exactly go and drop say R600 on a replica rugby jersey, but can quite comfortably afford a R200 robot replica, granted that i cant complain when one of the sleeves falls off etc lol, generally you get what you pay for.

Yeah, You do get what you pay for, but not when it comes to fakes. They are almost always way over priced

Unless the bike was branded as Pinarello there is nothing illegal about selling it. On forums worldwide their are people documenting their purchase of these frame and referring to them as Chinarello's. We're not stupid and know that these frames are disposable pieces of plastic but at 3K a pop who cares. The target market for these frames will never buy a real Pinarello anyway so no one loses.

Taking that frame and trying to sell it as a real Pinarello, now thats a different story altogether.

i mean not everyone can afford the real deal. i mean as a student i cant exactly go and drop say R600 on a replica rugby jersey, but can quite comfortably afford a R200 robot replica, granted that i cant complain when one of the sleeves falls off etc lol, generally you get what you pay for.

This attitude of entitlement (which I'll admit, I'm also guilty of) amazes me. I can't afford something so, instead of foregoing it or saving until I can, it's my right to steal it or buy a fake.

I wont buy fake merchandise, never have, never will.

As Edman said, if I cant afford the original, I either save or let the idea go.

"And what would you have the 7 year old chinese children do anyway ?"

By that age they should have retired by now. Abuse of the elderly. Makes me sick. ;)

This attitude of entitlement (which I'll admit, I'm also guilty of) amazes me. I can't afford something so, instead of foregoing it or saving until I can, it's my right to steal it or buy a fake.

well i dont wanna cause a stink about the topic lol because there are 2 sides to this coin and there will always be people on both sides.

from the produces stand point, fakes are probably the bane of any produces life, as they put the work into designing an making the product then someone comes along copies it and sells it at a lower price without all the hassel of designing said item.

then there is the side of the consumer (there has to be a market otherwise there wouldnt be fakes), the consumer generally will ask themself why pay say 400% more for a genuine item when one can pay 400% less for a nock off, and no one cant say they havent even thought about something like this even for a second when wanting to buy something with 2 option in terms of fake and real, the fact is there will always be a market for fake merchendice whether one does it because of being stingy or genuinally doesnt have the money ie: like above the dogma frame, as im betting a vast majority of people would never be able to justify buying the original, but R3000 for a nock off could possibly be afforded not saying that its right to do it, but it does feel nice to have nice things and feel like you've got something eye catching, as i'm sure 90% if not more of hubbers bikes are their pride and joys.

the major problem comes in when you get a dodgy person trying to pull off selling a fake as the original.

well thats my 2cents, use it dont use it what ever lol.

"picks up coat and leaves"

well i dont wanna cause a stink about the topic lol because there are 2 sides to this coin and there will always be people on both sides.

from the produces stand point, fakes are probably the bane of any produces life, as they put the work into designing an making the product then someone comes along copies it and sells it at a lower price without all the hassel of designing said item.

then there is the side of the consumer (there has to be a market otherwise there wouldnt be fakes), the consumer generally will ask themself why pay say 400% more for a genuine item when one can pay 400% less for a nock off, and no one cant say they havent even thought about something like this even for a second when wanting to buy something with 2 option in terms of fake and real, the fact is there will always be a market for fake merchendice whether one does it because of being stingy or genuinally doesnt have the money ie: like above the dogma frame, as im betting a vast majority of people would never be able to justify buying the original, but R3000 for a nock off could possibly be afforded not saying that its right to do it, but it does feel nice to have nice things and feel like you've got something eye catching, as i'm sure 90% if not more of hubbers bikes are their pride and joys.

the major problem comes in when you get a dodgy person trying to pull off selling a fake as the original.

well thats my 2cents, use it dont use it what ever lol.

"picks up coat and leaves"

It's like:

Original manufacturer: We have to charge so much to make up for all the money we lose because of all the fakes.

End user: We buy fakes because the original costs too much.

Makes you think what are you actually buying Original or Fake??? And what is Fake now a days as almost everything comes from China ;)

I've seen Fake FSA, Pina and Specialized Products for Sale online, and very easy to Import.....I would rather buy Fake then a bike brought in Unbranded with a couple custom "Stickers" and sold for 5 times the Price..... :lol:

Chinarellos are cool man, read a couple overseas forums and they have a big following. Surprisingly after all my reading the only ones that i have come across that break were the original ones.... :D