Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

Nope, Easton clinchers, no special tyres. Mr Lill doesn't weigh much though.

Wheeehooo! Gotta try it, even if just for ****s and giggles and to piss a few MTBers off. (Probably go faster uphill than downhill though.)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, seeing as you guys are not really sticking to Cape Town, there is a pass near Porterville going up to Beaverlac. 500m climb over 6km. The surrounding roads are gravel, but the pass has been tarred. If you're on a mountain bike, you can add another 6km and 400m climbing.

it is called dasklippas.we sometimes stay in a little cottage as you go past the beaverlack turnoff on your way to the nature reserve.a good morning workout is to go from there down the pass to porterville,turn around and go up the dasklippas untill you get the beaverlac turnoff,go down to beaverlac and have a coke or whatever at their little cafe ,then up beaverlac and turn left when you reach the top of the beaverlac climb and the continue more or less 7 km to the cottage.you do tend to sleep lekker that nite.

Drove up here in a brute of a car.

Still need to give it a 2 wheeled go! Just the thought makes my eyes water and my legs burn.

The gradient is not too bad from the sea side. Actually the best part of red hill is going down it at speed - awesome descent. If you want gradient and rough terrain head for the military climb 200m up the road - feeds on to red hill at the top.

all young lady rides

go ride Swartberg pass on your mtb total 27km long @ 9 to 13%

This the one we did in Hell & back?

Day One

post-4352-0-42964800-1313416921.jpg

Day Two

post-4352-0-23980200-1313416923.jpg

Come pansies, post your climb profiles so we have some prove that you actually did it! ;)

Still need to give it a 2 wheeled go! Just the thought makes my eyes water and my legs burn.

I used to ride it when I lived up there in Da Gama Park... and I was feeling strong. Otherwise I would chicken out and rather take the more gentle approach by going up the road parallel to Black Hill / Glencairn Expressway.

That is pass and a half - driven it a few times in my life. LOOOOONG climb if I remember correctly.

Did Du Toit's pass yesterday - 13.69Km, 649m vert ascent. Getting easier and easier. Did Bains on Tuesday - what a blessing living near such lekker climbs! :thumbup:

Sorry we missed you! We had to wait a bit for other guys. Man, you should've seen where we went... up du Toit's which was like you said 13.5km with 635m ascent or 4.7% and then on the top take a special route further up another 6.0km and 423 ascent / 7.1%! On parts I could only just manage doing about 7 or 8km/h. Total 19.5km :o

Sorry we missed you! We had to wait a bit for other guys. Man, you should've seen where we went... up du Toit's which was like you said 13.5km with 635m ascent or 4.7% and then on the top take a special route further up another 6.0km and 423 ascent / 7.1%! On parts I could only just manage doing about 7 or 8km/h. Total 19.5km :o

I was up there on Tuesday - looked for the extra climb but couldn't see where it was? There is a dirt road off the to the right at the top but that's all I could see? Where is it Andy?

I was up there on Tuesday - looked for the extra climb but couldn't see where it was? There is a dirt road off the to the right at the top but that's all I could see? Where is it Andy?

I put only the climb from the bottom of du Toit's on Mapmyride - see if you can access it at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46131276

From Paarl's side on the top of the pass you'll find a biggish open dirt area on your left and about 20m after that you turn left over 5m of dirt and then 50m thereafter you'll find a locked gate... behind that it's hell until the top!

I knew it!! You guys are training in secret!

I put only the climb from the bottom of du Toit's on Mapmyride - see if you can access it at http://www.mapmyride...s/view/46131276

From Paarl's side on the top of the pass you'll find a biggish open dirt area on your left and about 20m after that you turn left over 5m of dirt and then 50m thereafter you'll find a locked gate... behind that it's hell until the top!

Thanks, definitely going up there next time

jonaskop is local to me. its not really i climb for a roadbike in my mind?? toughest iv done yeat, and iv done all the above mentioned as i study in the city

This the one we did in Hell & back?

That's the one, Tank... I'm just not going down to Die Hel, want to go over Swartberg and back. But don't know the pass. Then again, I'm on leave then, just pack food and get an early start... :rolleyes:

I put only the climb from the bottom of du Toit's on Mapmyride - see if you can access it at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46131276

So just to get you right, when you get to the top, there where the 'Du Toit's Kloof' sign and pull off area is, you go towards Worcester for another 20m and then take a left on a dirt section over 5m of dirt and then road (concrete I assume) - past a gate. Thereafter climbing bliss? I think I am gonna go find it sometime soon :thumbup:

Yeah, I actually turned around to catch up to you and chat but as I turned at started climbing again, my legs were already frozen. I decided to mar turn around and head on for the rest of my ride.

• 1 month later...

Go for it! And let the dailycrank.net know how it went? :)

What an awesome ride! Did not go across and back, just to the top and back down. Simply because I had an arrangement with the mrs that if I do it that way, the next day I can cycle from PA throught MeiringsPoort to De Rust... :thumbup:

But wow, give me another chance and I'll do it again tomorrow! Superb bit of mountain, stunning stunning ride, impressively caged in feeling going through that initial section with the sides towering over you before the climbing starts. Cranked my neck the whole way - really beautiful!

It's not too bad.