Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which side of Ou Kaaps is tougher?

I think coming from steenberg is tougher, shorter but steeper.

Always seems so to me.

The other side (coming up from Noordhoek) isn't as steep but longer, better for training on :thumbup:

Which side of Ou Kaaps is tougher?

I suppose the Noordhoek side cause its longer.Although the Tokai side into the wind is kuk.

Hekpoort is higher and steeper and longer

Knorhoek outside Stellenbosch? Something like 200m in 1.2km, with the 1st 250m at 25 + %. Yes, it's tarred.

Hekpoort is higher and steeper and longer

Yeah, I have raced Ou Kaaps several times in both directions, I just wondered what thehub thought.

there is a jeep track from Constantia neck to the Halley hudtchinson dam on top of Table mountain.

its one hectic climb averaging at about 14%...

but the Ranger in the White Toyota Hilux doesn't want us riding there..

My ride this morning started at constantia village, over constantia nek, up suikebosse, turn at top to head back over chappies, then black hill, looped back to sun valley to head back over chappies and up suikebosse for the 2nd time, then some flat base kms back home to constantia via camps bay, sea point and lisbeek parkway.

My legs told me 6 climbs was enough for today!

there is a jeep track from Constantia neck to the Halley hudtchinson dam on top of Table mountain.

its one hectic climb averaging at about 14%...

but the Ranger in the White Toyota Hilux doesn't want us riding there..

Bloohubs, it is against Hub rules to have more than one log in account.

Please choose one account you would like to keep, so we can delete the other. Choose your thumbs or your hubs.

But either way, stirring just doesnt help.

My training ride on Saturday was up Gydo over Witzenberg to the end of the road (where the epic went over into Tulbagh) and back to my farm (3km from Eselfontein) was about 75 km with almost 1000 m of ascent. Once you turn left into the Witzenberg Valley very little traffic. That climb back out the valley is about 9 to 11 percent gradient then its all down hill back to Ceres.

You will agree with me Lucky Luke when you go over that climb that valley is a great site. That pic also looks like its been taken from the look out point on top of Gydo looking down into the Ceres Valley awesome.

Going to do a 65 km ride tonight just over the Witzenberg climb. Mabe take my camera for some more pics.

Yes, the pics are from the lookout point. To be honest I didn't know where I was going after Ceres when I left our accommodation at 5.30 Sunday morning. I rode over Michells Pass and pulled over at the tourist info off Ceres main road to look on their map for the nearest mountain pass.

The Witzenberg Valley was a surprise discovery for me and I was astounded at how such a big, beautiful piece of land could be isolated in the midst of all those mountains. How many farms are in there Ceres? Are the orchards privately owned and managed? I saw lots of 'Du Toit' signs all over the place.

• 8 years later...