Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one is from Camps Bay main road robots (furthest on Hout Bay side), up Geneva drive and then up to the cable car station. Absolute killer climb, with loads of switchbacks.

Jonaskop near Villiersdorp. 1350 m Total ascent in 15.3 km . Tar road to the top. It's closed to the public though. I had special permission from the farmer.

post-12695-0-64706700-1311180017.jpg

Yup you're right it was a CX bike but a CX bike is closer to a road bike than mtb ;)

True. Also the rider in question is closer to being an actual cyclist than anyone else on this forum :D

From my experience.

-Redhill road in simonston is an absolute biatch of note

-The mast at tokai is very very very steep

-Kloof nek is also pretty darn steep

-Noordhoek peak is a monster

-Suikerbossie is also tough but of late I seem to be getting better at it

-Chappies is pretty staunch but all depends on the speed you wanna go through it

Thats about it from my side, good mix for a hill training sessions there.

Awesome guys, cheers for the replies, yeah I left out some obvious ones! <_<

I'm just really interested in climbs that could be a real challenge to the heart rate, the steeper and longer the better! Would love to know total ascent and length if you know it.

There's also the climb from Kalk Bay up Boyes Drive towards Cape Town. Real tough if you're chasing someone. Short, but can be a killer!

Awesome guys, cheers for the replies, yeah I left out some obvious ones! <_<

I'm just really interested in climbs that could be a real challenge to the heart rate, the steeper and longer the better! Would love to know total ascent and length if you know it.

There's also the climb from Kalk Bay up Boyes Drive towards Cape Town. Real tough if you're chasing someone. Short, but can be a killer!

That initial bit up boyes drive from that direction is virtually vertical!

What about Rooiels hill on the way to Kleinemond,from Gordons Bay.

55m gain isn't a climb, its a bump in the road ;)

It sure felt longer than that.

:) they normally do! To put in perspective, look at the first profile I posted, the steenbras climb.

I did the steenbras climb then went along the coast towards Rooiels up the first "real" climb. We call it the Clarence climb where the monument is at the top. Then back and up Steenbras again.

Rooiels hill is much shorther than Clarence but slightly higher. Those bumpies in between the two big ones on the profile, is Clarence climb.