Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toughest climb by far in Cape Town city bowl....?

Molteno road...from bottom(Camp road) to topRugby road), only 1.5km of pure HELL, guaranteed nothing steeper in the Western Cape!!

Now: Do it 6 times!! :blink: :o :( :(

Edited by ChunkyMonkey

Spook Heuwel in Somerset West? I walk up there!

It's not that bad I ride it up regularly and steenbras is way worse!

belleview in Town.

The climb on the road that runs left from the road that takes you to Tokai Forrest.

The road up to the nature reserve in Somerset West in Lourensford area.

THE TOUGHEST ON A ROAD BIKE MUST BE "KAAIMANSGAT", IT IS OUR OWN ALPINE CLIMB FROM BOTH IDES, IT IS JUST 2KM ON THE LEFT OUT OF VILLIERSDORP TOWARDS WORCESTER, PLUS IT IS PROBABLY THE SAFEST ROAD TO RIDE IN THE COUNTRY!

I don't know which climb is the greatest in CT, since I've only lived here a year and a halve not even cycling, but one thing is for sure:

Cape Town is by far the best place for climbing. Nowhere else in South Africa is there so many great climbs so close to each other!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can do your 70-80km morning ride doing multipal 5-15km mountain climbs never mind hills!!!!!

Edited by slowtwitch

Jonaskop near Villiersdorp. 1350 m Total ascent in 15.3 km . Tar road to the top. It's closed to the public though. I had special permission from the farmer.

Good one, Topwine.

:thumbup:

Yup you're right it was a CX bike but a CX bike is closer to a road bike than mtb ;)

You are wrong - He rode it this year on his Stock Standard road bike, with Easton Clincher wheels on 23c training tires - Nothing special about it - other than the rider.

I even went over the chat to him afterwards and inspected his wheels myself.

The road up to the nature reserve in Somerset West in Lourensford area.

what? thats like maybe 1.5km long... hardly a climb

You are wrong - He rode it this year on his Stock Standard road bike, with Easton Clincher wheels on 23c training tires - Nothing special about it - other than the rider.

I even went over the chat to him afterwards and inspected his wheels myself.

I'm right then, originally said road bike :) I didn't see his bike this year but the previos time it was a CX bike, there was some photos posted here somewhere.

We did kloof nek, signal hill, and tafelberg road up to the cable car station.

Total ascent 540m and distance 24km..............Decent mornings ride.

I'm right then, originally said road bike :) I didn't see his bike this year but the previos time it was a CX bike, there was some photos posted here somewhere.

The Record he set was 39:30 on a road bike with CX tires.

This year he rode 41:00 on a std road bike - after running up, and back down to fetch hi bike (Mast Challenge run time for Darren was 49 mins - only 45 secs behind One Chop. -In a frikken gale force headwind. The man is a cyborg.

Good one, Topwine.

:thumbup:

Yeah, it's tough. Nearly constant gradient, except for about 500 m halfway up. I did it with a MTB and the first part is the toughest as you warm up. The last 4 km's is also tear crunchingly hard. As far as I know the record is just over an hour with a MTB. My first time was 1h34 . Don't think anybody did it with a road bike yet. There is actually an "invitation only" Time trial handicapped race every year organized by Dan Hugo of XTerra fame.