Toughest climbs in Cape Town?

grant10

Someone mentioned Belvue rd somewhere here.. If you start In front of Bombay Bicycle and basicly ride up to kloofnec and then on to the cablecar.. I was always intrigued by the thought of it because I use to stay in the area.. I did it once nad the top of belvue is so steep I was actually stiff the next day. It gets up to around 20% up there, and then you have another 2.5km of 7-8% left up to the cablecar. It hurts like hell.

Chunkymonky mentioned Molteno, that is beast.. Pitty it doesnt go right to the cableway road or has a nice view at the top.. so theres no real point except to hurt yourself real bad. There are also a couple of steep little buggers in seapoint- bantry bay. . but not long enough to be called a climb.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Also the rider in question is closer to being an actual cyclist than anyone else on this forum :D

This year he did it on a standard road bike with Easton clinchers.

Vanrhyspas near Vanrhynsdorp. This is where BMW come test their new models.

post-5177-0-14711100-1311237040.png

Edited by Breezer

Gydo pass near Ceres is epic.

It sure is. I have done it twice. You can add Bains Kloof pass. Then ride the Gydo pass all the way towards Citrusdal.

Someone mentioned Belvue rd somewhere here.. If you start In front of Bombay Bicycle and basicly ride up to kloofnec and then on to the cablecar.. I was always intrigued by the thought of it because I use to stay in the area.. I did it once nad the top of belvue is so steep I was actually stiff the next day. It gets up to around 20% up there, and then you have another 2.5km of 7-8% left up to the cablecar. It hurts like hell.

Chunkymonky mentioned Molteno, that is beast.. Pitty it doesnt go right to the cableway road or has a nice view at the top.. so theres no real point except to hurt yourself real bad. There are also a couple of steep little buggers in seapoint- bantry bay. . but not long enough to be called a climb.

Now we are getting interesting ... ride from the civic center up towards the fire station. then hug left into Vredehoek and follow a left hand rule. (IE always take a left road wherever possible, but not going left into a dead end. obviously!) Continue along till you get to Hugo Road. Continue along and then a quick left up the bastard that is Belleview. Then left into Kloof - to the circle and left again into Tafelburg road. Continue along same till the boom - either dismount and get over/around it or ride the little dirt ramp on the right hand side. Ride to the start of the dirt. Do not admire the view. Turn and race back to the circle, and then up Signal Hill. To the end, turn and back down for a well deserved flight down to the circle and then down Capms Bay Drive. To the bottom, then turn right, cruise back through Capms Bay then right into Kloof Nek. To the top and over, returning to the fire station.

I do this ride in summer before I go on shift. The mountain is like, oh shoo wow Bru!!! so early in the morning...

It sure is. I have done it twice. You can add Bains Kloof pass. Then ride the Gydo pass all the way towards Citrusdal.

I have done Wellington to Ceres via Bains and then back to Wellington via Hermon...... was a lekker day in the saddle. Was considering the Gydo pass.... one day when I am big I say :thumbup:

I have done Wellington to Ceres via Bains and then back to Wellington via Hermon...... was a lekker day in the saddle. Was considering the Gydo pass.... one day when I am big I say :thumbup:

Riding out there is just such a unique experience. Totally different from the south peninsula, and different from the Atlantic Seaboard.

Its hotter, and the roads seem so much looooooooooonnnnnggggeeeeeeerrrrr!

Its a real good day out on the bike for sure. :D

Just watch out for those maniac truck drivers on the Ceres Pass.

Now we are getting interesting ... ride from the civic center up towards the fire station. then hug left into Vredehoek and follow a left hand rule. (IE always take a left road wherever possible, but not going left into a dead end. obviously!) Continue along till you get to Hugo Road. Continue along and then a quick left up the bastard that is Belleview. Then left into Kloof - to the circle and left again into Tafelburg road. Continue along same till the boom - either dismount and get over/around it or ride the little dirt ramp on the right hand side. Ride to the start of the dirt. Do not admire the view. Turn and race back to the circle, and then up Signal Hill. To the end, turn and back down for a well deserved flight down to the circle and then down Capms Bay Drive. To the bottom, then turn right, cruise back through Capms Bay then right into Kloof Nek. To the top and over, returning to the fire station.

I do this ride in summer before I go on shift. The mountain is like, oh shoo wow Bru!!! so early in the morning...

That's quite a loop! I'd be sleeping on my desk for the rest of the day. :)

That's quite a loop! I'd be sleeping on my desk for the rest of the day. :)

Its not at race pace so its pretty easy actually. Just a steady climbing pace.

all young lady rides

go ride Swartberg pass on your mtb total 27km long @ 9 to 13%

Well, seeing as you guys are not really sticking to Cape Town, there is a pass near Porterville going up to Beaverlac. 500m climb over 6km. The surrounding roads are gravel, but the pass has been tarred. If you're on a mountain bike, you can add another 6km and 400m climbing.

But the one with the best name is the KATBAKKIES PASS between the Koue Bokkeveld and the Tankwa Karoo (Ceres area)